• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placed decal distorted/split

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i've created my own obj model on dimension for a yoghurt tub packaging for the tub and the lid and I am currently struggling to place the decal image on the lid. It seems to have been having a malfunctioning split  and I cant seem to fix it in any way. I've tried googling and youtube but nothing seems to relate to my issue. Is there any way I could fix this? I've placed it in png file, jpg and psd but nothing seems to change. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 9.24.59 pm.png

TOPICS
Creative , How to , Import and export , Mac , Performance , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

i got your file and have repaired the errors

your file back = https://adobe.ly/2RykcKQ

error 1 = UV maperror 1 = UV map

error 2 = scale does not matcherror 2 = scale does not match

• error 1 is the model itself and very common for new makers... its easy to fix by just asking Dimension to build a new UV map
  • error 2 is also common but important because adding a decal to this model will cause Dimension to crash [giving you a BS error message] and will also make any 3d print fail

I recommend adding blank space around Decal to save yourself

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not shure but can you check decals filling option in property panels?. it looks like you have check mirror option for "Fill". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 1.44.52 am.png

Actually I only put it up as Decal. This is what my property panel looks like right now. When I try putting it in as a fill the whole thing becomes abnormally distorted and stretched. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also tried placing the decal image onto an existing model and it seems to be fine... I reckon it might have something to do with my customised model

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i would use the magic wand to select [just] the top of the model, give that a new material and then place the decal

if you share the Dn file I can take a better look at it for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did what you've told me to do with the magic wand, still doesnt make any difference. I'll share the Dn file for you along with the images as well if you like

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the Dn file will have both the Obj and the decal so yes that is the best option... if you zip it then creative cloud will allow or there are 3rd party systems; we tranfer, dropbox etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cant seem to post my zip file to you or anything but here's a dropbox link which includes the dn file as well as the obj and images. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3ew8uug2w6d0604/AABnlywr5TWQ42AzIExDVWJqa?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i got your file and have repaired the errors

your file back = https://adobe.ly/2RykcKQ

error 1 = UV maperror 1 = UV map

error 2 = scale does not matcherror 2 = scale does not match

• error 1 is the model itself and very common for new makers... its easy to fix by just asking Dimension to build a new UV map
  • error 2 is also common but important because adding a decal to this model will cause Dimension to crash [giving you a BS error message] and will also make any 3d print fail

I recommend adding blank space around Decal to save yourself going nuts trying to place them... note i added 200% to the image so the correct placement will be around 180-190% and i use my mouse [with the lock] to adjust this by eye

I also recommend adding at least 1 bookmark so you can move a model around to test and then just click the bookmark to jump back for rendors

final note the pink mark on the front of the test rendor is noise from the model under i.e, the cup... i didn't repair it because the question is about the lid but I figgure you may want to know

all up these are small errors... you did well mate, good luck!

recommend adding dead space to decalsrecommend adding dead space to decals

recommend using the mouse slider to bring up the scalerecommend using the mouse slider to bring up the scale

p.s, nice design

test-rendor-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for your help!I really appreciate it! I also like the gold finishing touch that you did at the end, you made it look amazing! 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines