• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rendering shadows without a surface

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2019 Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to render a shadow without the surface the shadow falls onto? The result I want is a transparent PNG of a rendered object with a shadow cast onto an invisible plane so that I can place it, in Photoshop, over any color and it looks great.

If I turn the ground plane off, no shadow gets rendered.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 15, 2019 Sep 15, 2019

Yes, but do not turn the groundplane off. Just use a color background. Render to PSD. When in PS the groundplane is its own colorfill layer wich you can remove/turn off and there is your render with shadows and/or reflection. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2019 Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but do not turn the groundplane off. Just use a color background. Render to PSD. When in PS the groundplane is its own colorfill layer wich you can remove/turn off and there is your render with shadows and/or reflection. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works perfectly. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if it's not the environment / ground plane you wish to remove / render on a separate layer but an object / plane. If you set an object a base color that will be redered in the image. And if you make a fully transparent png image and set that as a base color that will render as white. I wish to use this technique for interior design / photo mapping and make planes to cast a shadow to but still retain the original background image. Could this be done?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This.

The ground plane trick works perfectly - when it's the ground you want to get rid of. But I have the same need, that is placing objects against a wall, instead of sitting on the ground (or a flat surface like a table).

It's so close to providing this feature...something as simple as changing the orientation of the ground plane would go a long way, so that it's a wall instead of the ground.

I suppose you could rotate your image 90 degrees so that the "wall" in the image is the floor in the app...and then just work sideways. But a control to flip the surface in the app would be so much easier and more logical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you can vote for it https://feedback.adobedimension.com/ but yes just turning your camera 90O is what I do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines