• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

simple bottle design

New Here ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed a tutorial on youtube on how to create a simple bottle and then place a decal on it yet when I make my 22 ounce beer bottle and place any type of decal on it the graphic just stretches.  It seems as though at the half way point of the bottle it hits a wall and goes all over the place.  I extruded into 3d using photoshop as the tutorial instructed so I'm not sure what it is.  Using a stock bottle from dimensions, a pill bottle or something, the graphic wraps cleanly around the bottle.

Is there a better way to create this 3d bottle?  I looked at adobe stock and there isn't a bottle that matches what I need.  I have looked around the internet and one bottle costs almost $50 so I want to create this myself.  The bottle itself looks great in dimensions until I place a label on it.

thanks,

Chris

TOPICS
How to , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cosmicrelish  wrote

Is there a better way to create this 3d bottle?

Hi Chris, its a little hard to answer this question because you forgot to post the youtube link for the tutorial or an image of the bottle you want to make

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screenshot of the issue would be very helpful.  It sounds like it might be a UV issue.  In Photoshop try running the option in the 3D menu called "Generate UVs" to generate new UV sets for your model.  That might help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry guys.  Here is the tutorial I followed.  It's the only one I found to make a 3d object for use in dimensions.  How to Create and Import Models into Adobe Dimension CC - YouTube  

I am not really good with other 3d apps so I tried this one.  Let me render an image of the bottle and I'll post that here in a few.  I am trying to make a 22oz beer bottle that I can affix a label to it for some product shots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bottle Test.png

In this first shot I shrunk down the image so it doesn't wrap too much around the bottle and it looks ok, however the actual label is wider and when I place that one, image below, you can see that at one point the image goes strange like there is a line it isn't supposed to cross and therefore truncates the image and distorts it in the final render.  It doesn't look this way in the render, the render scrunches it together.

Screenshot (9).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thats a good tutorial but making a 3d bottle in Photoshop takes some practice and your screenshot shows two issues;

for that shape I would try more to the left... in short the error is the model and you need to make another one mate

Screenshot (151).png

also your system is having issues loading Dimension... if this is a school then ask for a new build but if Windows prob just have to put up with it

Screenshot (152).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I created a brand new bottle in photoshop and exported it.  In dimensions the decal now loads without distorting so you were right, my model had some issues!  However now all my graphics for the decals are importing reversed.

Screenshot (10).png

I have some learning to do but I think it is getting there!  thanks for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would;

open the decal image in Photoshop and flip it 180* then save as a new image... for a once off project that will be faster than making the bottle over and over until it is perfect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to thank you for all of your help!  I used blender to create a new bottle obj.  I UV unwrapped it and then imported it into dimensions.  No errors came up this time so I imported the label and it placed correctly on the bottle!  New issue though, now it looks blurry on my bottle so I placed a stock bottle that came with dimensions and it looks a bit better.  The graphic is high resolution 300 dpi.  Why is this happening now?

pismo wee heavy2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an internal size limit on decal resolution in relation to the model.  You can see more on the discussion here​ but the short answer for now is this is a baked in limitation of Dimension that is difficult to control and we're working on improving it for our next release.  I recommend using images that are 2,000-4,000 pixels (we don't have DPI controls so inches aren't important, just raw pixels).  Much larger than that it won't make any difference because the image is composited down into a smaller image that has the internal limitation on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  OK So I just went back to blender and did more unwrapping and I think my UV was stretching.  Still getting some strange little ruffles at the bottom of the decal but it isn't blurry now!

piso wee heavy 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

the bottle looks convex at the bottom in your "two bottle shot" and less so in this last one... having a convex will change how the decal looks but that may be ok and you can slide the decal up a bit if needed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines