• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wrapping Art

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how to get art to wrap all the way around a cylinder? I dropped art on a cylinder and it will only wrap 3/4 of the way around.

Thanks for any help!

Stephen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Hmm, it turned grayscale in the color channel? If you put it into the roughness or metallic property it would be auto-grayscaled but it shouldn't in the  base color channel.  Feel free to package your content and send to me to take a look if you'd like.  For controlling the scale at the bottom of the material properties there are options for offset, repeat, and angles.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thank you for posting query on forums.

Either we can use the art as material base color or you use it as decal, then scale the decal using the handles.

Please use the below link for additional information.

Apply 2D art to a 3D model |

Regards

Parth Vyas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it can only be applied to one side?

This is what I'm getting on the back of the Cylinder.

Wrap.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

As a decal we can add it only once on object but can scale it. As a material base color, we can repeat the texture from Properties panel>Texture>Repeat.

Regards

Parth Vyas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scaling doesn't seem to help/work because it just keeps scrunching the image like you can see above. Repeating wouldn't work as I need one image to wrap all the way around the cylinder (360 degrees).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try to add art as material base color as a workaround and check if that solves your purpose.

Regards

Parth Vyas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wrapped around, but there's no color and I don't know how to scale the art.

WrapGray.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the original art isn't created wide enough to accommodate the actual circumference of the object? In other words, the proportions are too tall and not wide enough?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can scale it up to an enormous size, but it just crunches it on the back side like there's a limit to how far it will wrap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got'cha. Sorry I can't help more

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Decals are not designed to wrap around objects entirely in this manner.  Instead of applying it as a decal you should add the image to the base color of the material then use the Texture properties to control the scale and position.  Decals are designed ideally for isolated image placement at this time.

Click on the swatch next to Base Color of the material to change the property.   You can switch to the image tab to input an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my last attachment above. That was the result of doing what you said. It turned the image grayscale from color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, it turned grayscale in the color channel? If you put it into the roughness or metallic property it would be auto-grayscaled but it shouldn't in the  base color channel.  Feel free to package your content and send to me to take a look if you'd like.  For controlling the scale at the bottom of the material properties there are options for offset, repeat, and angles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it! Okay, now how do I scale the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That part down at the verrry bottom of my last screenshot, use the "repeat" to change the scale.  it's called repeat because it will actually tile the image instead of just having 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what was throwing me off. Thanks Jeanette!

One more question: I'm using a very high-res image to place on the can but it doesn't look that great in render preview. How can I make sure my image is as large as the object I'm placing it on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's sort of a hidden component.  The material itself (whatever the base material is that you're placing the decal over) has it's own resolution.  So decals are mapped to that material resolution (it's usually capped at 2k~ or so right now but it's dynamic so not exact).  If you're applying the image as a base texture it will respect the size you use.  If you apply it as a decal it might get adjusted.  We have some ways we're going to optimize that in the future!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines