• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After applying a template to a page design view is blank - I can only edit in code view.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2012 Dec 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I apply a template to a page everything is fine. I can see the page elements in design view and code view. I can edit the page and upload it and all is fine. However, when I save the page with a new name or close the page and then reopen the design view is empty, the code view is normal. I would like to be able to see the page in the design view and cannot. I don't know what to do. I hope someone has an idea for me. Thank you.

I am using DW CS5 and pages are ASP.

TOPICS
Server side applications

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 14, 2012 Dec 14, 2012

I was opening a page, then applying a template (dwt) to it - then 'saving as'. I am now creating a page as you mentioned and it is going fine. I have saved it and closed it, then re-opened and things are visible in the design view. It will take a while to redo this page and others - but it looks like it will work. I had hoped to be able to just apply the template ( I thought I had done it this way a while ago) but perhaps that doesn't work.?

Again thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is usually caused by accidentally nesting your html inside an actual tag, usually by accidental drag and drop of the source code.

It's hard to say without seeing your code though. You could try running your page through this validator and fixing any errors that come up...

http://validator.w3.org/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the validator - got an error message - 500 Internal Server Error. The page works fine though. I will try to look through the code to see about html inside a tag.

Thanks for the response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say "template" are you talking about the .dwt Template file from DW?

If so, you may be using it incorrectly. Once you create the .dwt, all of your new pages need to be created via File > New > Create Page From Template and then saved to your site. If you are using the .dwt file and doing "Save As" to create more pages, you're going to run into all sorts of problems.

Do you have a link we could look at?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was opening a page, then applying a template (dwt) to it - then 'saving as'. I am now creating a page as you mentioned and it is going fine. I have saved it and closed it, then re-opened and things are visible in the design view. It will take a while to redo this page and others - but it looks like it will work. I had hoped to be able to just apply the template ( I thought I had done it this way a while ago) but perhaps that doesn't work.?

Again thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines