• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

background image changing on every page when i change it on one.

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2023 Sep 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello this is my first time trying to build a basic webpage and i am having an issue with my background image. I have a total of 7 pages that i have linked together through hyperlink buttons. The issue im having is that when i change the background image on one of those pages it changes the background image on all 7 of them at the same time. Not only can i not set an individual background image i cant change any of the properties without it changing it on the other pages in real time. 

What am i doing wrong?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not leaving us much to go on. The cause can be one or more of many code errors in your document. As we are not privy to the code, it is not possible for us to help you.

Assuming that you do not have an online version of the site, you could paste your code here for us to look at.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all pages are linked to the same CSS File, then yes, changes to the body selector will definitely effect all 7 pages.

To add page specific styles, you'll need to use embedded CSS styles in your target document's <head> tags.

<style>

/**Page specific styles here**/

body {property: value}

</style>

Reference:

https://www.w3schools.com/css/css_intro.asp

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understood correctly your aim, you can also use, as Eric Meyer proposed a few years ago, a CSS signature... It's funny, few days ago @B i r n o u had a word about this topic in the tribute to Molly.

Concretely, this means that you could assign a different class to the BODY tag for each page, and you can thus assign a different background (and other properties) independantly to each page :

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="yourpath/styles.css">
<body class="home">
</body>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="yourpath/styles.css">
<body class="about-us">
</body>
<!-- and so on -->

then on your unique CSS, styles.css linked to each page :

body {
  margin: 0; 
  padding: 0; 
  width: 100vw; 
  height: 100vh; 
  background-size: cover;
  background-repeat: no-repeat;
}
.home {
  background-image: url('yourpath/home.avif');
  /* other properties */
}
.about-us {
  background-image: url('yourpath/about_us.avif');
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's true that the original idea of CSS signatures was to allow each user to customize browser styles, affecting only the site in question, but it's also true that they allow us to add subtleties to pages independently of each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP wrote:  "this is my first time trying to build a basic webpage..."

Translation:  Keep it simple.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Nancy OShea

I'm just curious, isn't copying and pasting the code proposed in my previous comment simple enough?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

By @Nancy OShea

I'm just curious, isn't copying and pasting the code proposed in my previous comment simple enough?

By @L e n a

Far too simple, can't you post a much more complicated and complex solution, like a really good, skilled professional web developer would use?

You know the kind of professional approach that maybe watches to see what the name of the file being loaded into the browser is, maybe consider using a bloated library of some description...........wink, 😉 

Maybe throw in a compiler and bundler workflow as well while you're at it just to make sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines