• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bootstrap [Locked]

Mentor ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. It's certainly controversial. In my opinion, the entire subject of frameworks is controversial... But I think it's really a fabrication born of a want for instant gratification, regardless of the price. I've heard people on this forum make outrageous claims as to the benefits of using Bootstrap and its market acceptance - often in an attempt to claim that it is "the choice" of professionals. While my candor probably overshadows my CSS skills - especially in this particular forum - I believe Eric Meyer is still widely considered a master with CSS. So, I thought this post he recently made was quite telling:

https://hashnode.com/post/i-am-eric-a-meyer-ask-me-anything-ciomnbpxy003rmz5330u90oqb#cip79vpkr07rnx...

You have to read between the lines a bit, and you need to understand that Eric's job calls for a fair amount of diplomacy, as opposed to my hammer approach 🙂

By again, I have to bring it to the attention of average Dreamweaver users, that while Adobe might need to squeeze a page layout system into Dreamweaver, I understand that they do not employ serious web coders and had to go with something off the shelf. But for folks that portray themselves as experts on this forum to openly endorse the use of Bootstrap... I think it's unconscionable.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure you're doing yourself any favours Ben with remarks like below:

'I decided to swap Foundation (which I still regard as the better of the two) for Bootstrap'

Os, I don't ask for any favours, although I do appreciate your concern. I was just telling the truth.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

Not sure you're doing yourself any favours Ben with remarks like below:

'I decided to swap Foundation (which I still regard as the better of the two) for Bootstrap'

Os, I don't ask for any favours, although I do appreciate your concern. I was just telling the truth.

Favours or no favours, truth or no truth - it seems you still use a workflow against your better judgement, I guess weird shite happens as you get older

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bootstrap is a free front-end framework for faster and easier web development

Not true.

Bootstrap includes HTML and CSS based design templates for typography, forms, buttons, tables, navigation, modals, image carousels and many other, as well as optional JavaScript plugins

So what.

Bootstrap also gives you the ability to easily create responsive designs

So does coding your own site.

Used on 18% of all websites.

Non-admissible evidence because everyone knows that the minute you encounter a cited statistic in a web design article, it is time to stop reading.

Between 52% and 72% market share amongst frameworks.

Non-admissible evidence because everyone knows that the minute you encounter a cited statistic in a web design article, it is time to stop reading.

The most popular code repo in GitHub.

Used on all Joomla sites.

Non-admissible evidence because everyone knows that the minute you encounter a cited statistic in a web design article, it is time to stop reading. And who the heck thinks Joomla is to be admired?

Used on 20% of Drupal 8 sites.

See above.

You can file Bootstrap alongside other giants of the web such as PHP and WordPress. Many people love them and many people love to hate them. But they are massively popular and are foundational pillars of the web.

Really good arguments, Ben. Ya sold me. Not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an interesting email that came in this morning. Sadly, we receive a good number of such mails. Read into it what you want, but to me it is telling.

email.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the point of this discussion? Perhaps this topic should be locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The point has been made. .. Quite telling, actually 🙂

Since I turned down the capability to lock threads, feel free if you are so inclined.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines