• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't get splitscreen view with css any more

Contributor ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems I've done something to mess up the workspace. I'm having a zillion problems trying to learn DW but number one right now is I can no longer get a splitscreen view with the css - only with the html.
I'm sure before I had 2 layers of tabs at the top of the document. One allowed me to switch between having the live-view on the left and to the right of it I could choose bewteen having the html or the css in the code panel. Now there is only one layer of tabs and if I switch to view the css I lose the live view panel. The css fills the whole screen and the page itself is gone. No splitview. The splitview is only there if it's the html code on the right - not the css.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

I think you're spending too much time learning DW and not focusing enough on RWD code fundamentals. 

Start with simple layouts to learn how media queries &  breakpoints work.  As you develop skills and confidence with code, you'll be able to tackle more advanced projects with much less frustration.

The building blocks of responsive design - App Center | MDN

Responsive Web Design Introduction

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you will see, Split and Design/Live view options are greyed out. This is because Design/Live view work on HTML

To view the page when viewing the CSS in code view, is to open the main document and choose the linked file as in

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but the problem is that the toolbar you point out there - the one that gives the choice between "styles" and "source code"  has disappeared. How do I get it back? I've done as you say and opened the main document and then chosen the linked (css) file but it doesn't solve anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found out what I'd done to cause it. A person called ALsp, here on the forum told me that to make my css work properly I'd have to turn off "Enable Related Files" in the preferences. I did that and that was what made my related files toolbar disappear, but it is vital to me.
So I now have the choice between the css not working properly between the code and the Css Designer panel or not having related files toolbar at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always worked with related files enabled and it has not been a cause of any problems.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second this one too... I always worked with related file turn on... and it is really helfull, functionnal and never have cause trouble in all my workflow... what ever the envionement, full JavaScript WPA, PHP, Wordpress... work like a charm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tuilorraine  wrote

So I now have the choice between the css not working properly between the code and the Css Designer panel or not having related files toolbar at all.

Huh?  What's not working properly?  Can you show us an example?

DW's code hinting and auto code completion features make working directly with related CSS file much easier than wading through the clumsy Design Panels.   So I never open them.   On those rare occasions when I have used them though,, I didn't have a problem with the CSS "not working properly."

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, I'm so interested to hear you say that.

I'm a beginner but I find the straight .css code much easier to understand than those complicated "designer" panels. And as you say, the code-hinting is very helpful - something I'm beginning to catch onto. However, I'm trying to learn and use everything. As a newbie to DW (and a newbie to responsive design) there may be something I'll use a lot if I get used to it and not sure what that might be yet. 

One thing I stupidly did not understand in my new-ness to responsive design, is that some css has to be altered across all of the media queries. Once I did this it solved a hassle which had frustrated me all day, sometimes to the point of tears. Why did it take so long for me to work out something so obvious?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're spending too much time learning DW and not focusing enough on RWD code fundamentals. 

Start with simple layouts to learn how media queries &  breakpoints work.  As you develop skills and confidence with code, you'll be able to tackle more advanced projects with much less frustration.

The building blocks of responsive design - App Center | MDN

Responsive Web Design Introduction

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is RWD? Will check out those links. Very interested in them. Thank-you. I have been doing tutorials on html5 and css and practising them in DW. It's been three directions going at once, css, html and DW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RWD = Responsive Web Design

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course! Thank-you. Yes I thought I should get more familiar with css first but now media queries are what I now need to understand better.
Those tutorials look perfect. Can't wait to get going. Solved one mystery straight away. I was wondering what on earth that line of code about "viewport and width=device-width" was there for (in my template site). Now I even know what viewport means! YAY!
I think I may can the template and just start from scratch, go super-simple and build it all myself the first time, as you suggest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

concerning the RWD, and in parallel with the technical aspect and the management of the HTML/CSS ... do not forget the contexts of consultation as well as the strategy of contents which is applied to it.

you should have a non-exhaustive basis for laying out through this series of articles What about responsive web design – Puce et Média

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank-you - I have added that tutorial to my list of those to be studied. I'm building a good little list here. will be able to point others to it in future perhaps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

well the main idea is to demonstrate that behind the responsive web design, we must first think about a better responsive user experience

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines