Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cannot open application, power pc not accepted - Dreamweaver MX 2004

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I have an old version of Dreamweaver - it's MX 2004 which I have been using on a PC to make updates to a website.

I am not a developer, I just have basic knowledge of how to use it to update our own site.  I would like to move the program over to my mac, I still have the original discs but I am receiving a message "cannot open application, power pc not accepted.  My mac is on OS XEL Capitan.    Does anyone know if I will be able to run the program and how I do it?   I don't really need to purchase the new Dreamweaver as I don't use it often enough.  Many thanks to anyone who may be able to help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

No can do.  Windows software won't work on Mac & vice versa.

Unfortunately, MX 2004 is waaaaaay beyond its end-of-life and no longer sold or supported because Macromedia does not exist anymore.

If you can work with code, get Brackets.   I's an open source code editor that runs on Mac, Win or Linux.

Brackets - A modern, open source code editor that understands web design.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download a trial, the lack of color is 90% of the reason users want color coding.

Without color coding in code view, the entire ui is like looking at a blank piece of paper, and just as informative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina wrote:

Without color coding in code view, the entire ui is like looking at a blank piece of paper, and just as informative.

Sounds like I may like it then. I'm into minimal coloring in the coding environment and I really cannot take to the new trendy dark themes with syntax in an array of vibrant colors, which most themes seem to have in most editors, with a few poor light themes thrown in as an after thought. Thankfully they are customisable, albeit it tricky in Atom and Sublime , a little better in Brackets but Adobe should revert back to its old coloring scheme, php storm is exceptional when it comes to ease for coloring code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The set-up I use in Dw is the developer view, with dark grey ui, then dark code view, using the standard code coloring.

The problem with that is that it is no more than what one gets in VS code, with a file manager and ftp extension, and that's free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina wrote:

The set-up I use in Dw is the developer view, with dark grey ui, then dark code view, using the standard code coloring.

Even you have taken to the darkness............humm I must be one of the few that just cannot take it seriously. I like an editor to look quite boring because it looks more official and business like (all pychological I guess).

Anyway I'll stick to me basic 3/4 color coding theme with a nice clean white background for now.

pziecina wrote:

The problem with that is that it is no more than what one gets in VS code, with a file manager and ftp extension, and that's free.

I've not tried VS yet but looking at it and doing some Googling its the same at the rest. They are all the bloody same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to move the program over to my mac, I still have the original discs but I am receiving a message "cannot open application, power pc not accepted. My mac is on OS XEL Capitan. Does anyone know if I will be able to run the program

For the record MX 2004 was written for old Macs which used PowerPC processors. Many years ago, Apple switched to Intel processors which are not compatible with PowerPC processors. Bottom-line: there's no way to get PowerPC apps such as MX 2004 to install or run on modern Macs such as yours.

As the others have suggested, try Brackets or Muse instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possible replacement for Dw is Stylemaster pro -

http://www.westciv.com/style_master/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't buy any Adobe software from Ebay, it's all pirated rubbish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines