Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Database Bindings, server behaviors

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I used for years the version of Dreamweaver with Server Behaviour and creation automatically of query with database (insert, cancel, edit etc)

Now I want to buy the new version of Dreamweaver but I see that is not still present and the previous version is deprecated.

There is no any new version of these tool/enancement?

Any way to have similar functionality in dreamweaver?  or any other software that has this function?

Thanks

Bye

TOPICS
Extensions , Server side applications

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Adobe removed the deprecated server behavior panels from DW in 2013 because the code is sorely outdated, not secure and should not be used.  Also, the connection strings will not work on servers running PHP 7 or higher.  

You have a few options:

1. Code manually in PDO or MySQLi (improved). Which one depends on your database.
    https://www.w3schools.com/php/php_mysql_connect.asp

2. Buy 3rd party extensions from WebAssist or DMX Zone.
    http://www.webassist.com/dreamweaver-extensions/mysqli
    https://www.dmxzone.com/go/23295/dmxzone-server-connect/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe removed the deprecated server behavior panels from DW in 2013 because the code is sorely outdated, not secure and should not be used.  Also, the connection strings will not work on servers running PHP 7 or higher.  

You have a few options:

1. Code manually in PDO or MySQLi (improved). Which one depends on your database.
    https://www.w3schools.com/php/php_mysql_connect.asp

2. Buy 3rd party extensions from WebAssist or DMX Zone.
    http://www.webassist.com/dreamweaver-extensions/mysqli
    https://www.dmxzone.com/go/23295/dmxzone-server-connect/

3. Develop your web apps visually with Wappler.
    https://wappler.io/

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly DW lost the plot along the way somewhere and neglected to concentrate on what it once did best and has, in my opinion, largely fallen out of favour with a lot of users who wish to create dynamic/database driven content by way of an automated process. I believe the server behavours are still in DW but have been hidden away. I would advise against using them anyway as they are way beyond their sell by date, they rely on the old mysql extention which was superceeded by mysqli (improved) extention or pdo. They will not work in any php version beyond 5.6 I believe, so they are extremely dated.

These days if someone feels the need to have database connection facilities i.e. not prepared to write their own database connectivity solutions then I can point you in the direction of something like wappler editor

It's not my cup-of-tea as I write most code manually these days but for some it might be what they are looking for. I would think carefully though before committing yourself to what is largely a niche workflow if you do investigate the program.

There is also a commercial extention for DW webassist sqli extention for DW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We are working on adding Database and Server Behaviors functionality in Dreamweaver.
This will be based on PHP 7 MySQLi & PDO interfaces.

We would appreciate if you can share more details on your current workflow and how we can help with the new Database and Server Behaviors feature for your dynamic site development.

We have shared Dreamweaver roadmap for 2020 here. Please do have a look and let us know your feedback.

You can subscribe to our pre-release program to get hands on early Dreamweaver builds with these changes as we make progress.

Regards,
Dreamweaver Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm replying to this discussion as the original covered pdo. It maybe an idea though for someone to branch it to a new discussion.

Asking about workflows at this point a like cutting a piece of string into lots of bits then trying to make a whole piece again. Everyone will have different opinions and workflows, but first it would be good to know what the Dw team plans to include in Dw.

e.g. Will it have a sql admin panel?

Will stored procedures and transactions be included?

What type of user and app/site is envisioned for use?

That's just a few questions, for the team, (and others) to answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sure hope you can bring DW back to where it was in terms of dynamic capabilities and functionality that was there in DW 8.02 (updated of course) its been 11 long years of fixes for most of us I think.

I hope the Dreamweaver Team has finally heard the chatter that has been going on for 10 years and brings DW back to where it should be again.

When will the Database and Server Behaviors functionality in Dreamweaver be available ???

SOON I hope.
Any way it's good to hear this is finally being addressed after such a long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll believe it when I see it.

Meanwhile, I'm continuing to use my 3rd party extensions.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't blink, you might miss their inclusion. (A reference to the extremely fast and efficient introduction of DW updates, of course!)

Did I hear someone laughing in the distance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As this discussion turned up in my inbox, I thought I would reply.

It is good to notice that the Dw team is running true to form, (still). Asking for feedback, (workflow, etc) then ignoring any replies, shows that nothing has changed in years, so no one should get their hopes up regarding the return of SB's and how they will work, (or when it will happen).

Even the inclussion of modern html or css should be viewed with lots of scepticism, simply because, (read the official announcement carefully) Adobe/Dw have always said that any features should have reached 'recommendation' status before Dw will 'fully' incorporate them into Dw. If you look at the html/css specs. most of the features, (inc flexbox, grids, animations, etc) are below recommendation status. Remember 'candidate recommendation' or below is NOT 'recommendation status.

Even modern SB's require a lot more info from the team, because how one works with databases will depend on many things, even simple things such as having the sql/php included above the html or in a seperate file should be considered, but without the team joining in, and telling us what they consider as usage, (even if it is only to say that Dw is for small personal sites only, must be known prior to any discussion).

The Dw team though, will not join in any discussion(s), it will rely on and take opinions of only people they consider as experts, most of whom have never worked in web development, it will also ignore anything they do not want to know or listen to. 

No one should have any hopes of Dw getting anything working correctly as requiered by Dw users who are using Dw to earn a living as web developers. So don't hold your breath for anything workable, and don't even think of helping. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of nights ago, I had a horrible nightmare reading a big fat headline:

Wappler purchased by Adobe

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Wappler for 2 months and it was horrible. Takes far longer to do even simple things. I spent a 45 days just trying to create a list where I could select multiple records and then edit them. 

Along the way their support team fought me tooth and nail not to answer any questions directly because they think you should already know everything. 

I would cry at night too if Adobe bought Wappler. 

I'd redo the KOLLECTION extention if I had the money. That company knew how developers worked and created something that Adobe knew was better than they could do so they killed it off. It's not the technology behind it its the interface and combined functions and capabilities that made KOLLECTION the gold standard that frankly no one has matched since.

Here's an offer if Adobe really wants to get serious - I will move to California and work for free in their developers offices so they can see how an ordinary developer works and what they need DW to do for them, as long as they promised to quickly change DW to meet those needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are making the assumption that your way of working, is the best way of working. Which may or may not be true.

There is also the problem of what type/size of site you work on, as this also may or may not be typical of what other users work on. Is it small/medium/enterprise sites that would be developed, and what features should Dw offer to support each or all types of site?

Without the Dw team giving us more information, no help is the best help we can offer them, (if they do not know what the feature should do, or what type(s) of site are to be built using it, how are we to know?).

The web has changed dramatically since the old SB's removal, so building a feature that only offers the same as before, (even if updated) may or may not be of use to many users, (off-line db's are an example). Required info is NOT forthcoming from the Dw team, so it is only fair to assume that they have no idea what is required also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would not describe Wappler as horrble, just different, aiming at a 'select' group of people much like your Wix's, Webflow's and a myriad of other minor players in the game. Each have their own small band of followers, which is enough to keep the product flowing.

They arent really any threat to the professional web-developer because a professional web-developer would never use them. They are more suited to your  'I can't be bothered to be a professonal' web-developer so I'll pretend to be one, my client/s won't know.

I cant see any profesional web-developer investing months/years into learning a program which fires out niche coding. What happens at the point their work dries up - they have no saleable skills to work within the industry.........that is short-sighted. I guess its the 'want now', rather than the 'learn how to do it correctly' world we live it but it will eventually come back and bite you on the bum. If youre happy being a shelf stacker/delivery driver well it proves a point - you were never very passionate about web-developemnt in the first instance.

Whilst Dreamweaver is behind the curve these days and should be better and more pro-active than what it is, in terms of more new features and updates, its still a reasonably stable web-editor - if you can code, there is nothing more you should require.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines