• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Don't reinvent the wheel?

LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are back into the holiday period, so I thought a little discussion might help to break the monotony.

in another discussion I have posted in, (not in this forum) I have read a post that says, "do not try to re-invent the wheel", but should that not be, "do not try to re-invent conventions" especially when it comes to the web?

We all know that a main menu should be close to the top of the page, (no matter how it works), but is the way a menu is presented so well established that the current method cannot be improved, or should not be changed? This applies to just about everything on the web, after all is it possible that within 30 years of the invention of the www, everything is 'fixed' and the best ways to present something to the user should not and cannot be re-thought or improved upon?

The same question as above can be applied to anything, (component, feature, anything) when it comes to web site/app design/development.

This is not a question of how to do something, but one of, 'is that it'. Web sites/app designers, (and developers) are being told not to reinvent the wheel, should they be even allowed to think that they should not, or should they be encoraged to look at things differently?

Don't forget, this is not a discussion about how to do something, (or even if it is possible) but of how a web site/app, (complete site or just components) is presented to the end user, and if what many think of as the only way to present a site/app now, is really the final and best solution.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2019 Apr 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

https://forums.adobe.com/people/B+i+r+n+o+u   wrote

so finally, what was the aim of the thread ?

To see if there is anyone interested in moving beyond run-of-the-mill functionality, or if people think that-is-it.

Or to put it another way, have we reached the end when it comes to how site/app features work.

Come back in 5-10 years time, if you're still around, things may change radically again, but not in the near future. I don't see it happening just yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/B+i+r+n+o+u  wrote

so ?

1. I won't bother further.
  2. What is the point arguing against frameworks, especially those that have what end users currently require. Except for bug fixes in Dw, it is feature complete for current requirements.
  3. If people are waiting for the next technological leap, before any new functionality or features can be thought of, then all we require now is better documentation for users so they can customise components better.
  4. I'm going for a beer or glass of wine, (probably my main occupation for the next 5-10 years ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines