• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drag and drop links in design view is not using my pages title tag?

Explorer ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that since Dreamweaver CC 2016 (as far as I know) no longer lets you drag and drop pages from your website nest into the page to create a link in code view. I know that it is, however, still possible to do this in design view.

There is a problem I am facing, though. In CC 2015 when I dragged and dropped the pages, it automatically created the display text for me and it took that text from my <title> tag from the page. The new Dreamweaver is not doing that for me. It is simply using the actually name of the html page for some reason?

Is there a way to get Dreamweaver CC 2019 to display the <title> tag in place of the page name?

A visual example of what I mean.

drag and drop "talk-about-something.html" (title tag is Talk About Something...!) - in CC 2015

=

Talk About Something...!

drag and drop "talk-about-something.html" (title tag is Talk About Something...!) - in CC 2019

=

talk-about-something

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dragging & dropping of files from Files Panel into code or design view has not been supported for a long time.   I don't think that has worked since Brackets code engine was introduced.

I have used Dreamweaver for many, many years.  I don't remember it ever working as you describe. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From design view it has certainly been possible. in CC 2019 I'm doing it right this second.

In CC 2015 it was possible to drop them in and it would display the title tag of the page as the name of the link. I would have to record it and upload it as a video on YouTube to show you, but I would like to avoid that. If possible, give it a try. It will work as I described in newer CC versions, and if you can try CC 2015 in code or design view, you will see how the title tag works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my DW CC2015 installation, I'm seeing...

When I drag a file into Design View, it places a link and uses the file name as the text.
When dragged into the Code View window, it uses the <title> information from the dragged page for the link's text.
When I try Live View, nothing happens.

In CC2019...

I get the same action in Design View, the file name is used for the link text.
Nothing happens in Code View, likely because of the Brackets editor being bolted into newer versions of DW.
I also get nothing in Live View.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that does seem to be what's happening. I have to wonder why dropping the code into design view produces some different result from dropping it into the code view, though? Shouldn't it be the same process.

I know I can't use drag and drop on the code view in CC 2019, so I would have to use the design view, but is there a way to switch it to the title tag placement like it does in the code view. I'm currently looking online as we speak, but any help would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are quite a few things that, even though they're the same basic function, give two different results when done in Design vs Code views. It's just the way DW had always been.

There's no way to switch it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Help > Submit Bug / Feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We understand how you feel. The feature was quite helpful. In addition to what Nancy has said, I would suggest you submit this feedback for the situation you are facing from this link: Adobe Dreamweaver: Feature Ideas https://dreamweaver.uservoice.com/forums/379458-adobe-dreamweaver-ideas/suggestions/14906529-drag-an...

As Jon and you mentioned, I tested the issue at my end and was able to drag and drop the file in Design view. The simple workaround that I found to make the name of the title tag similar is by changing the name manually in code view.

For Example:

I have dropped two files in the document window and made changes to the name manually in Code View as highlighted in the screenshot below.

I am assuming you are referring to this kind of workflow please let us know if this helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will definitely be submitting this as a feature request, because it was a very useful feature that should, by no means, not be available in the newer dreamweaver versions. The newer dreamweaver is great, especially the user interface in comparison, but this feature was very helpful.

That workflow won't help much, though. I have 5000+ pages, and manually switching them will add up to hours, to days, to weeks, and I can't have that. I'll have to use the old dreamweaver for the time being, I suppose.

Thank you, anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A static 5,000 page site is a 10,000 lb gorilla.  This should be built dynamically with databases and menus that self-populate form the database (think WordPress).  Basically, you're just using the wrong workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I honestly have no choice in the matter. This project was started before I started to work on it by a friend. I have no choice but to work with what they already have here.

In any case, static pages load a lot quicker, or at least that was the case 10 years ago as I remember it.

To manually do this on the old dreamweaver with drag and drop, it will take me, probably, a week and half or something, so it could've been worse. if the new dreamweaver worked correctly with drag and drop, it probably could have saved me a few days, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines