• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dream Weaver claims </source> tag not there.

Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue started with the update last spring. When I would put in an HTML 5 audio tag Dreamweaver would not put in in the closing </source> tag and I would have to manually put it in.  With the 2017 update it continues to fail to put the tag in and when I put it in manually it keeps saying I am missing the tag.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

DW's a bit funny in this area.

For some reason it validly leaves out the ending </source> tag but at the same time, the Linting "feature" tells you your <video> or <audio> tag is missing the ending </source> tag with a "Must be paired" error.

I think this is a case of left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. The guys working on DW's code generation got it right, while the guys working on he Linting "feature" stumbled.

You can do one of a couple things...

1. Ignore the red line numbers in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please make it known to those that can do something about it Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Richard,

<source> is a void element​ so it does not need a closing tag.

Hence Dreamweaver does not close the tag on typing </ after a <source> tag.

https://www.w3.org/TR/html5/syntax.html#void-elements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DW's a bit funny in this area.

For some reason it validly leaves out the ending </source> tag but at the same time, the Linting "feature" tells you your <video> or <audio> tag is missing the ending </source> tag with a "Must be paired" error.

I think this is a case of left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. The guys working on DW's code generation got it right, while the guys working on he Linting "feature" stumbled.

You can do one of a couple things...

1. Ignore the red line numbers in the Code View burning a hole in your brain (I couldn't do that)

or

1. Go to Edit > Preferences

2. Choose Linting

3. Choose HTML

4. Hit the Edit & Apply Changes button
5. Change the value for "tag-pair" from "true" to false"
6. Save and close
7. Re-open your file with the <video> and the red beacons of discontent will be gone.

The only issue with doing the above is that other items that do require a tag pair won't light up when they're missing, but the validation tool under File > Validate > Validate Current Document (W3C) or the validator at http://validator.w3.org/nu will catch them. If you validate often (maybe set a keyboard shortcut to the Validate Current Document (W3C) option, it's not much of an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll just live with the bug. (for sure I'll submit a bug report)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jon,

Thank you for pointing out the incorrect linting error message shown for </source>. I can recreate the issue locally with Dreamweaver CC 2015.

This is fixed in Dreamweaver CC 2017.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my update to my web site today I noticed that it didn't flag my new code. However, it is still flagging my old code even though correct. I guess I will just ignore it. I don't have the time to go and re-enter all the audio tags.  As long as it isn't squawking about my new code I will be happy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As long as the code is valid, you can safely ignore DW's Linting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines