• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

dreamweaver cc 2023 tutorials, updates?

Explorer ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has Adobe stopped producing updated tutorials for dreamweaver cc 2023? Everything I can find is several years old and not up to date to DW's interface and or functions/features. Just looking for the latest information to comprehensively learn everything within the program. Thanks

TOPICS
Bootstrap , Extensions , How to , Interface , Performance , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that now Dreamweaver is only being minimally maintained there is no finance available to pay content developers to produce tutorials for a product which is no longer featuring much in Adobes future plans. I could be wrong, I haven't looked on Adobes website recently.........someone more intune with Dreamweaver will most likely provide a more comprehensive response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver is merely a code editor. When you understand how to work with code, Dreamweaver is simple to use.

Start here:

- https://www.w3schools.com/html/
- https://www.w3schools.com/css/
- https://www.w3schools.com/js/
- https://www.w3schools.com/bootstrap/

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are the the most up to date tutorials:

Dreamweaver's UI & menus are the same now as they were in 2019.  Nothing's changed much to warrant updating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your replies. I was wondering about your opinion on integrating version 5 of bootstrap? Can and should I do it? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need Bootstrap 5, use it.  It's an open source framework, freely available from BootstrapCDN. 

https://www.bootstrapcdn.com/

However, BS5 is very different from BS3 and BS4.  You'll need to verse yourself on the code differences. IOW, you can't just drop BS5 into an older BS document.   See link below.

https://getbootstrap.com/docs/5.0/migration/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if I could install BS5 to natively function in dreamweaver. If not, does dreamweaver have all the elements to build a fully functional responsive site? Or am I best off using DW as an editor as you mentioned before. Also, are DW extensions recommended? It seems many are defunct. I was looking for basic options like layout, navigation, photo galleries, multimedia stuff, etc. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if I could install BS5 to natively function in dreamweaver.

By @digital11111

Short answer is no. You would have to manually code using the Bootstrap 5 specifications. You could of course take some time to build yourself a set of Bootstrap 5 snippets of code in Dreamweaver (copied from the Bootstrap 5 website) and then it becomes more 'native' - after all that is all Bootstrap 4 in Dreamwever is, a bunch of code snippets, really.

If not, does dreamweaver have all the elements to build a fully functional responsive site?

By @digital11111

Yes, if you want to use an outdated version of Bootstrap. Bootstrap 4, which is included in Dreamweaver as default is not the worst choice, as it will work in all browsers for years to come, your website is not going to stop working. Even if Dreamweaver gets EOL'd (end of life) I assume Adobe will keep their activation servers open for a few years so anyone that has built a Bootstrap 4 website via the UI in Dreamweaver can maintain their website, otherwise they will have to manually maintain it in another code editor or find another product that supports Bootstrap 4, through the UI.

My instinct as a developer tells me its more positive to use the lastest stable version of Bootstrap if you are going to build a new website, rather than starting off behind the curve.

I would only recommend Dreamweaver these days if you can code, it's still a good code editor. However a decison has been made by the powers that be to not actively introduce any new features or modern workflows into DW, which means those that only build using the UI are building websites that are 'outdated' or soon will be, in terms of current workflows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short answer: No.

The Bootstrap Componets menu in DW will not be updated to support BS5.

If you wish to use newer Bootstrap, you do it manually or not at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

am I best off using DW as a [code] editor?

========

Yes.  Start here:

- https://www.w3schools.com/html/
- https://www.w3schools.com/css/
- https://www.w3schools.com/js/

- https://www.w3schools.com/bootstrap/

Does dreamweaver have all the elements to build a fully functional responsive site?

By @digital11111

===========

If you have the skills & know-how, you can build whatever you want.  All Bootstrap Starter Templates are responsive.  File > New > Starter Templates > Bootstrap Templates.  Pick one and hit CREATE button. 

Also, are DW extensions recommended? It seems many are defunct.

=========

Only if you need them.  These extension developers are still active.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Nancy for all the information. Looks like i'm going to start a lot of reading and trial and error sessions. Is adobe completely abandoning website programs/apps? I will definitely bookmark all the links you've sent. Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems from reading you that you want a tool that allows you to generate site content without having to open the cover and write code.
If you link BS5 to DW, which is quite possible, there will be no drag and drop solution, or other dialogs, that will allow you to integrate the components and use BS5, as it was the case for the previous versions.

AFAIK, for drag and drop, the only solution is to use the BS library that comes with DW and that uses all the interface capabilities of DW.

However, the support period of BS4 will be limited and according to the teams should be maintained as long as the pressure of use, and developers allow forks on the github.

Wisdom would dictate that using a newer version should be the best choice, although there are still many projects out there using BS4, and many will not migrate, for sure.
It also depends on your needs, BS5 offers a new approach and features that BS4 does not.

What would be your expectations?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I was just expecting to use one program to create multimedia websites. It sounds like DW is not going to be around in the future. Does Adobe have any other design program in the CC subscription? I used to create sites and it was simple to create content with extensions and then DW started to prevent the integration of third party extensions and I spent a lot of money on extensions from companies that no longer support them. So it looks like I have to start from scratch again. I didn't want to rely on third party stuff for this exact reason. If I take the time to create complex projects I don't want a third party to dictate it's survival. Does that make sense? Think back to the days when everyone used flash and then all of the sudden it was gone. I will just start from scratch again. Unless there is another way? Thanks, again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

indeed, after the bad experiences with Flash, Edge, Muse, Dreamweaver... as the saying goes, once bite twice shy !

to venture today into the creation of a new site using Dreamweaver, by relying on the tools offered by the IDE, such as BS4, Templates, Library... is an adventure with a capital A 😉

two solutions ...

1. are you looking for a drag and drop tool (get closer to @BenPleysier ... and opt for Wappler)...
  2. or do you want to work directly with code? well, Dreamweaver is still well placed for this... or switch to VSC https://code.visualstudio.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2023 May 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks birnou, i will definitely check those out. are there any up to date tutorials for those two programs? thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2023 May 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks birnou, i will definitely check those out. are there any up to date tutorials for those two programs? thanks again.

By @digital11111

Well concerning Wappler, I will let @BenPleysier send you some fabulous link, the only one I remember that Ben Records was https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUjqTJN3byC9fUoXFnoNGlYBCBZOJUPca

concerning VSC, you could start using the https://code.visualstudio.com/learn/ page, then for a personnal choice, I really like the MDN page's group for HTML, CSS and JavaScript...

You don't need to install and configure any local servers to run your dynamic Wappler web app or site. You can use the powers of the integrated in Wappler No...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just started a new series:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUjqTJN3byC8-qBFItSeBYuXolTng41pN

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just started a new series:

By @BenPleysier

Hello Ben, could you please let us know all the series you did ? it's very interesting, at least I'm interested 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of multi-media?

AFAIK, Adobe has no plans to discontinue Dreamweaver.  But I'm not 100% married to anything anymore.  Web technology changes constantly.  I use DW alongside several other tools as needed.

If I take the time to create complex projects I don't want a third party to dictate it's survival.

==========

The only 3rd parties you have to worry about are web browsers and web servers.  When they put the kibosh on a technology,  it's over -- dead, kaput, no more... 

Adobe Shockwave & Flash were victims of the iPhone.  Flash was not "all of sudden gone."  It took many years to complete the phase -out giving developers plenty of lead-time to pivot to HTML5 <video>, <canvas>, CSS & JS animations.  If you didn't get the memo, you weren't paying attention to what browsers were doing.  Adobe had little or no choice in the matter.  The same thing happened with MS's Front Page extensions, Silverlight, JAVA applets and a dozen other web technologies that no longer exist. Nobody is immune. 

Winners pivot and stay on top, losers don't & go home. That's how it has always been.

If you want ease of use, look at online site builders like Webflow, Squarespace, WordPress or lesser ones like Wix & Framer.

If you prefer to have complete control & program manually, there are plenty of code editors available (freeware, payware & online). It all depends on what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you nancy, for all the info. and yes i was aware of all those changes with the programs you previously mentioned. i had them all and just when i was getting good at them and invested a lot of money in third party multimedia widgets. apple decided not to play nice with macromedia then adobe. I got really proficient with fireworks and then they dumped that too, among other programs. i would like to create multimedia that i can get really get creative with to create "sticky" and visually captivating widgets etc. do you have any examples of some of your work? and could you tell me about your work flow and favorite tools? thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are as many widgets as there are grains of sand. 😕

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_widget

https://embedsocial.com/blog/widgets-for-websites/

Upvote means you liked the answer or it helped you in some way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you nancy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also, what is an upvote?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply 🙂 There is a lot of really good leads on that page, I must have overlooked it somehow. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines