• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DW Unstable at Best

Engaged ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to start this with I love the new version if it could just work! I have been going through the gammut today and yesterday. I think I will just have to put this aside for awhile till they get this worked out. I can't use it with all the crashing and jumpiness. I am trying too put in a video and it took me ten minutes. C'Mon Man! I mean I have other issues of course that I can overlook but when I try to  copy a template then put in simple links, put in a video in the placehoider which has taken me 15 minutes! I just can't use this thing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why it took 15 minutes to insert a video.  Maybe your cache is corrupted.  'Cuz I'm not having any such problems in CC 2017.1 on Win10.  

Jumpiness?  I don't know what that is either.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite often the problems in using Dreamweaver are caused by coding errors. When you say that you are copying a template, have you checked the template with the Validator?

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did validate and all was good Ben thanks for the reminder. I want to clarify how exactly that I use DW. I usually use Live view and checking in the browser, I never use design mode. I tried in the beginning to use design mode and never saw the benifit of using it. It seems to me to add another layer into the process and a waste of my time. I usually write the code and then preview in the browser so when the live reload functionality came out I was super excited. When I first installed it everything worked great. For some reason that didn't stay the case. It degraded over time and stopped being usuable. I recently got a new machine thinking that mine was to old for the new software coming out being a 2011 machine. I use a MacBook pro 15 from 2015 and an iMac a couple weeks old and both have the same issue. I didn't bring over anything from the old machine so a fresh start. Live Reload doesn't work on the new machines either and the jumpiness thing happens on both machines as well. My process is very simple. I have a framework that I am using for this particular site some I don't and start form scratch and have validated every page. Short of some percentage widths instead of pixels there are no issues. I saet up the structure and I bring the files in. I have some Template pages that are not templates in terms of DW but they are and I use snippets a lot. So I start with all the head and scripts and some minimal sections for each page and save all those and run from there. The live reload is awesoe because it loads on save and I can have a second screen and use DW in Dev mode. I'm in love or so I thought. Exactly the set up I wanted. I will take any suggestions you all have because that is why I come here and I respect what you guys and gals have to offer and have learned a great deal here on this forum. Thanks for all your help with all my stupid questions and Happy Coding. I am sure they will get this worked out and when they do I will be back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It took that long because of it crashing and me having to restart. Insert the tag and it freezing and having to restart and the past few things I've done had to be done again. Then having to reboot. it froze again and had to reload again. It wasn't actually the loading of any media just doing things and having to redo them. Trying then to get the live reload to work because I had no preview but then realizing that wasn't working either. So it took so long because of fiddling and troubleshooting. I don't believe that it has to do with incorrect code because it has been happening in a lot of different scenarios all though I would not rule that out because I would not say I am an expert or anything. I am not really using the template feature but more of a base page that I resave and start from there. Either way other editors I use I don't have that problem but I would really like to use DW. It is free with membership and I know how to use it best.

The jumpiness dates back a few versions and is an on going issue I have posted bug reports about a few times. I am talking about when you click on something in live view and instead of highlighting that particular item it jumps to the top of the page. I don't work in design view. Never got used to that. Seems hard to deal with to me. Anyway I have to scroll back down to what I wanted to select and select it again. Most times it only happens once but one out five it does it a second time. I am on an iMac that is only a few weeks old pretty loaded with the latest OS whatever that is called now. I've tried reinstalling and a bunch of things. Maybe it's because of macOS maybe it's just me. Either way I can't use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines