Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Emmet not possible DW 19

Engaged ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have DW 19.0.0.11193.

I saw this video, where it's told you could use shortcuts easily: Code mit Tastenkombinationen erstellen und prüfen |

Wrong.

None of the shortcuts work.

Ok, so I downloaded Emmet, even though in the video stated above it is not mentioned I have to download it first which gives the impression Emmet's existence in DW is understood.

On the Emmet download page they say Adobe Application Manager should open the downloaded file by itself.

Wrong.

Application Manager says "For this Dreamweaver at least version #11 is needed. Like I said, I have #19.

Guys, I can code and I thought working with DW might be a good idea. Actually this is the 2nd error I find within just the first hours of testing DW. (The other one btw is quite heavy ... regular DOM elements are not recognized in Javascript and all are marked as not defined. Wtf?

I am super-annoyed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Emmet is included in DW CC2019, though not a complete version of Emmet, it should do most shortcuts without issue. You either have an installation problem, or your Emmet is simply turned off.

I'm hoping it's the second option (it's much easier to fix).

Look under Edit > Preferences > Code Format > Emmet and make sure "Expand abbreviations using the Tab key" is checked.

If it is checked , and you're hitting Tab to expand the abbreviation with nothing happening, I would try Restoring Preferences or

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Emmet download page they say Adobe Application Manager should open the downloaded file by itself.

Wrong. Application Manager says "For this Dreamweaver at least version #11 is needed. Like I said, I have #19.

The Emmet page is wrong. And there is no valid "Application Manager" for Dreamweaver 19. Adobe is in the process of trying to figure out how to reintroduce an Extension Manager (which is what you really meant) that works for DW 19. They have not yet done it.

If the Emmet extension actually works, then you need to use a third part extension manager to install it. You cannot simply double-click the installer (ZXP) file. If you do, it will try to open an older version of Adobe Extension Manager, which will be in a highly confused state.

We have free Extension Manager that should work (if the Emmet extension is valid):

PVII Extension Manager for Adobe Creative Cloud

Make sure to carefully follow the installation steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick reply!

I just downloaded and installed Emmet, it worked fine.

Though now the absolute path I had to specify in DW is not valid. Any idea which could go wrong there? This is the path, I could see it in the search window:

discname/Programme/Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2019/configuration/shared/Emmet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is this path referenced? The reason I ask is because it does not make sense. Extension files are located in your local user Adobe configuration folder. The path you mention is to the main Adobe program folder, which could mean that Emmet is attempting to alter main config files that are no longer located where they were in prior versions, or perhaps no longer even exist. Does Emmet provide any support? Obviously, their site is misrepresenting how extensions install, so perhaps they would be willing to provide a little info?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, on the Emmet website they state: "Emmet for Dreamweaver supports extensions: you should open Commands > Emmet > Emmet Preferences dialog and enter absolute path to extentions folder. Unfortunately, Dreamweaver doesn’t support folder picking dialog so you have to type it manually."

So what I did was searching Emmet in the finder and type the path the finder gave me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not going to work. See this post:

Locating your personal configuration folder

We've been writing extensions for over 20 years. That is a very curious approach Emmet is taking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Emmet is included in DW CC2019, though not a complete version of Emmet, it should do most shortcuts without issue. You either have an installation problem, or your Emmet is simply turned off.

I'm hoping it's the second option (it's much easier to fix).

Look under Edit > Preferences > Code Format > Emmet and make sure "Expand abbreviations using the Tab key" is checked.

If it is checked , and you're hitting Tab to expand the abbreviation with nothing happening, I would try Restoring Preferences or doing a complete reinstallation of DW using the Cleaner Tool if necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon,

Do you think the Emmet extension is unnecessary? Or does it provide more functionality? In any event, Emmet should note on its site current info on how to install extensions in various Dreamweaver versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never used the extension, I wouldn't doubt that it could have more functionality than what the dev guys added to DW, but everything I've tried to do with the default Emmet has worked fine in the program.

With Adobe turning DW into an Open Source Junk Drawer, it's hard to say if anyone with any affiliation to that site has anything to do with DW at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon, the box in the prefs is checked. I restored the prefs, just like you suggested. No difference. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before a complete clean/reinstall, what, exactly, are you attempting?

If I can duplicate the problem here, it would point to a bug (or possibly a missing feature of Emmet in DW). If it works, I would think about starting over with a fresh installation of the program.

If the Emmet that comes with DW doesn't work, there's no telling what other default parts of the program could also be malfunctioning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jon!
Thanks for explaining this!
Really helped me out since I saw and instructer use it and I couldn't figure out how.

It was already checked, but I read that I had to press tab
Never would've found it if you hadn't typed it!
Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

unfortunately Emmet is not very well implemented in Dreamweaver. major features are missing and not followed. however, if you don't know it, you will certainly find this document interesting https://docs.emmet.io/cheat-sheet/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all of you,

It works now. The absolute path I had to type in was:

discname/Programme/Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2019/configuration/shared/Emmet/Emmet

(in my post above I had one "Emmet" less at the end.)

Or: it was one of the felt 300 restarts or still restoring the prefs, at the end.

The emmet folder is not put in the Application Support folder, however, (for what reason ever.)

Thanks to you all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just curious... @bartl did you install Emment manually ?

@Jon, I agree with you, but I wont say that Emmet is not fully integrated, I will say that Emmet is badly integrated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Birnou, yes I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that perhaps why you did have trouble, Emmet is already integrated in DW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines