• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ftp error cannot make connection to host user limit reached or not authorized

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i started my PC today and for no resason at all, without changes or updates, i can no longer connect to my host address. Now this isnt your usual situation as I have tried everything. I could still connect to other site hosts from DW. I could still connect to my host with FileZilla no problem. So , I switched to use a hotspot thinking maybe a router issue, no dice. I never needed ti before, but i dropped my firewalls and security. Nothing. I contact my hosting company, no issues on their end as I can stil connectwith Filezilla and no server changes. Now, I decided to unistall Dreamweaver....everytime I reinstall, the same site definitions come back and same issue. I tried purging EVERYTHING DW from my PC...ever registry entries, as many temp files as i could find. Still imports site definitions and same problem. Please help. Nothing is working and Adobe is preventing  me from a totally clean install. Al of my defined sites return and I dont want them to in order to see if a fresh entry will fix the issue. I am at my wits end. FYI I have tried all the different FTP server settings and all the basic fixes.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can connect with FileZilla, I recommend that you keep using it.  It's a more stable & reliable S/FTP client.  Unlike Dreamweaver, FileZilla is in active development and receives regular updates.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Ive tried the restore preferences, deleted the registry folder and keys, then rebooted again. Deleted the site in dreamweaver (DW21). Checking my server for something on my ftp user...yea, i guess i will have to use something else. But it is going to ruin my process on cloud and server sync with development.  I honestly dont know what to do except for unintall adobe Cloud completely with all products...maybe..Thank you for you assistance, I truly appreciate the reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And so I did decide to uninstall the entire Adobe Creative Cloud app which means Photoshop and Dreamweaver and all related files and register entries. Reinstalled everything truly fresh this time, no .ste files uploaded. I created the first site on a brand new install, and still gives me the same error message, firewalls up or down. But filezilla connects no problem and Dreamweave connects to other hosts no problem. Am I missing something here? Does anyone have an idea how to rectify this? Host says DW did it, DW says Host did it. lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please compare the settings in FileZilla with those in Dreamweaver, That may point to the cause of the problem.

Pay particular attention to the SSH setting (if aplicable) and server type as in SFTP and similar.

If you want more assistance, then please take a relevant screenshot of programs so that we can see for ourselves.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2024 Jan 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i created an entirely new windows account that didnt work. I setup a new hosting account with a different domain name, same. I have no problem connecting to other domains or IP addressses with DW21. It happened out of nowhere and the settings that worked had never been changed. Its really seems like the server is doing this, but Filezilla works without any issues. I turned off firewalls, reset firewall settings to allow DW21 again. With the hosting company telling me there is nothing wrong on their side, i am not sure what to try next. I also dont know what to send images of, because the settings in DW21 are not the problem. Does anyone have any insight?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the other sites work, then there has to be an error in the settings despite your confidence that these are correct. Unfortunately, we do not have enough information to help you further.

Please read https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/connect-remote-server.html for further info.

As a sidenote, Filzilla is a much more intelligent FTP client than Dreamweaver's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish it were some simple setting, but Ive tried changing everything.  And it happened on its own, nothing was changed by me to make this happen. It was connecting fine for the past month. Ive been messing with my firewall settings and rules and I truly dont think that has anything to do with it. Ive compleley shut it down and same. Its gotta be a windows issue or something on the server. Im out of ideas to fix it anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you create a new site definition and delete the old one?

Go to Site > New Site.  See screenshots.

CC-RootFolder.jpg

Hit the TEST button.  If you can't connect click on More Options.

CC-MoreOptions.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some things I've ran into over the years that acted very similar to what you're seeing...

1. For the root folder, the server wanting a / before or after the name
2. The server wanting an IP address for the FTP location over the ftp address
3. A bad router. Try connecting from a different network if possible (like using a cell phone hotspot to connect the computer)
4. Toggling "Use Passive FTP" and/or "FTP Performance Optimnization" in DW's FTP settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. However, all of the simplest and most common fixes have been tried. Ive gone as far as creating a new windows user, completely wiping out Adobe Creative Cloud, DW21 and Photoshop to clean installs, tried using different connectivity, (different IP, different internet), completely reconfigure my firewall and security settings. But still same error and DW21 works for other servers but not mine. But filezilla has no problem connecting from the same local machine to my server. I even setup a new FTP user on the server, same. I dont think I will ever figure this out to be honest because of everything Ive already tried. And as ive stated before this happened out of nowhere while it had worked for at least a month prior. Thank you for your assistance and have a great day. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW..in the DW21 ftp log i get absolutely nothing when attempting to connect to this server.  Not a single line of a response which leads me to believe that its not even makig an attempt to connect. Any other server I get a full log entry. And I have created MANY new 'site' entries and deleted the old site definitions. Something seems to be preventing connection to that server ip address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that nothing is happening makes me wonder if there's a port conflict. 

Have you tried booting up in Safe Mode?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well actually I have tried using Windows 10 in safe mode with networking and I have no wifi or internet. Then I went down a rabbit hole trying to enable connectivity in safe mode. There must be a process of something preventing DW21. But ive used the windows command prompt to test for port usage with netstat -aon and tried killing some process, but theres no way to simply clear all ports. You must netstat -aon | finstr <port> the kill process ID and do it for each individual process.  Anyway, thank you for your insight. I truly appreciate when anyone tries to help. But Im not sure if anything short of a windows fresh install is gonna fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2024 Jun 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's just flat-out broken in the DW code. It says the connection was closed but the firewall is wide open and every other SFTP client connects fine. This is DW's problem and Adobe is giving it the classic Adobe treatment. Been a CC subscriber since they started the subscription and I'm thiiiiiiiiis close to embracing all of those nice alternatives for way less money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2024 Jun 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that there are workarounds, but having to live with outdated FTP server, PHP and Bootstrap, while the world is transitioning to NodeJS, is a no-no for me. As far as I am concerned, Dreamweaver is in palleative care.

Now is the time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2024 Jun 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's just flat-out broken...

By @2Drew4U

=============

Then don't use it for transferring files. No need to throw baby out with the bathwater. 

Remember, DW is primarily web authoring software; not a S/FTP client.

Unlike DW,  FileZilla is faster, it's secure, it does more and it receives regular updates to stay compatible with newer servers. 

You'll need a file transfer client no matter which code editor you decide to use.

CODE EDITORS:
-- Codespaces (free, browser-based) - https://github.com/features/codespaces
-- Nova (Mac only, formerly called Coda) - https://nova.app/
-- Pinegrow - https://pinegrow.com/
-- Sublime Text - http://www.sublimetext.com/
-- Visual Studio Code (free) - https://code.visualstudio.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2024 Jun 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I basically agree with @Nancy OShea, there are two comments I would like to make:

1. Wappler has its own very fast FTP client
  2. Many Hosts facilitate automatic GIT uploads so that no FTP client is required 

As an illustration of  the second option, have a look at this video, where NodeJS is the server type and where the server environmant is encapsulated in a Docker Container. No remote server setups required.

https://youtu.be/kaQqH9GIYh8?si=Nt69yKoOg8hOBc6X

Although I have used Wappler, the same goes for Dreamweaver or any of the code editors that are mentioned by @Nancy OShea.

With this video, I want to show you how easy it is to deploy your project using Railway. No credit card required. Github: https://github.com/ Repository: https://github.com/ben-pleysier/sorting-elements Railway App: https://railway.app/ Published Site: ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2024 Jul 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The only reason I considered using Dreamweaver was convenience for my personal site-- I have a private git server but SFTP works with built-in tooling server-side and requires zero setup, I was a web developer so I know how to code, but being able to drag-and-drop for big stroke stuff is more convenient, having the code generation is nice, but I can create an easy-to-use back end in a static site generators that's just as easy after the initial setup. Since one of the major components of its internal tooling is broken and I have to do workarounds anyway, well I might as well just use the regular modern web development tooling-- which is exactly what I did (for free) with Astro in VS code which has built-in hot reloading, and git... which took me about 2x as long to set up, but now I have a modern, if less convenient toolchain that isn't actively being abandoned by Adobe.  Aint nothing left alive in that bathwater.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines