• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FTP Issues

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Dreamweaver 21.2 and am unable to connect to my hosting server (A2 hosting).  I can connect using third-party software (CoreFTP and Filezilla).  In Dreamwaever, I have tried checking and unchecking options in the advanced menu to no avail.  I have had no problems with older versions of Dreamwaver.  I have checked my firewall and  Dreamweaver is authorized. I have bypassed my routher and tired a direct connection to my modem.  No luck.  I have two domains and tried the FTP setting for both with no luck.  The FTP log is not recording so it is no help.

I'm gettang an error that says my limit has been reached due to firewall blocking , blah blah blah.

I have used Dreamwaver for years and am comfortable with it and I don't want to change.  Can anyone help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

I deleted the site and recreated it and everything works. Very happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Hi @Ken2c,

Thanks for writing to us. Can you please try setting the Authentication method to “None (encryption only)” in the server settings dialog with Dw 21.3 and see if the connection gets successful.

Please let us know if you are looking for any additional info on the same, we can have a short remote connect session for further investigation on your machine.

Have a pleasant day!

Regards,

Nayan

Dreamweaver Team

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never used the ftp option within Dreamweaver but at one time it did have a 'passive ftp' option. If it's still an option try checking that box and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Settings vary widely by hosting plan.  The most common used connection method is FTP. However, you can also use more secure connection methods such as Secure FTP (SFTP) or FTP over SSL (FTPS).  Consult with your hosting provider to find out which S/FTP or FTPS settings they require.  See the help article below for more details.

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/dreamweaver/using/connect-remote-server.html

Also Dreamweaver supports only OpenSSH identity key files.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Settings vary widely by hosting plan.  The most common used connection method is FTP. However, you can also use more secure connection methods such as Secure FTP (SFTP) or FTP over SSL (FTPS)

By @Nancy OShea

I guess the OP knows what settings to use as they can connect with third party software, presumably they are using those same settings within Dreamweavers FTP option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe not.  Assuming the OP is using identity key files, Dreamweaver only supports OpenSSH key files.  Filezilla is not quite so picky.   

In any case, this is all guesswork.  We don't know which connection method the hosting plan requires.  Saying "it doesn't work" gives us nothing to go on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe not.  Assuming the OP is using identity key files, Dreamweaver only supports OpenSSH key files.  Filezilla is not quite so picky.   

By @Nancy OShea

OP is using FTP, not any of the other newer stuff. As far as I know Deamweavers file upload is/was always prone to issues - that's why I preferred to use a dedicated FTP option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver works fine for me on various servers over FTP and sFTP connections.  But I also use FileZilla because it's a dedicated FTP client and does many things better.

My guess is that Dreamweaver is being blocked by local Firewall or Anti-virus security settings.  Whitelisting Dreamweaver might help.  Or it could be a conflict from a 3rd party app like Skype that's using the same port.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver works fine for me on various servers over FTP and sFTP connections.  But I also use FileZilla because it's a dedicated FTP client and does many things better.

By @Nancy OShea

Well I say that because we used to get a lot of posters in the forum seemingly having some kind of difficulty uploading files from within DW. The usual answer, which solved many of the problems, was to check the passive ftp box. I dont know myself what the passive ftp box was as I've never seen anything related in a dedicated ftp program, they seem to just work. 

Personally I've never used any of the inbuilt options which many of the editors offer, some might be adequate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted the site and recreated it and everything works. Very happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and have to use Filezilla, which works perfectly.  Adobe Support was NO HELP on 10/23/23.

I do not get deleting the site.  (suggested below). Been supporting the site for 20 years.

Tried every option & combination.  So did Adobe Tech. support.  Until the failures caused the site to block me.

Ken C.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and have to use Filezilla, which works perfectly.  Adobe Support was NO HELP on 10/23/23.

I do not get deleting the site.  (suggested below). Been supporting the site for 20 years.

Tried every option & combination.  So did Adobe Tech. support.  Until the failures caused the site to block me.

Ken C.

By @Ken2c

For the sake of getting your question answered, I would recommend starting your own thread on this instead of attaching yourself to a solved thread that may not get as much attention.

With that said, if your host is blocking you, there is nothing we can recommend and try until that is unblocked. It's also worth noting that since the time this thread originally started, DW is now in minimal maintenance mode not receiving regular new updates and features and will only be receiving critical updates as required. So depending on your requirements, it may also be worth looking into alternative solutions if DW no longer supports newer FTP technologies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WDw engineering team sent me an email.  Waiting for them to contact me live.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not get deleting the site.  Been supporting the site for 20 years.

By @Ken2c

=======

Site definitions can become corrupted over time.  It's not common but it does happen.

Also, the server host may have made changes on their end.  GoDaddy is notorious for resetting server permissions and not telling their customers.

Connections between the app and server depend on various system files, AV & Firewall software, routers and ISPs. These all vary by user and can be difficult to troubleshoot.   Keep using FileZilla while you continue to trouubleshoot.

Also refer to this help article.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/whats-new/2022-1.html

"OpenSSH: Upgraded version 8.8 enhances security for SFTP connections. If your remote server is configured with old protocols, use this workaround for successful SFTP connections."

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ken2c,

Thanks for writing to us. Can you please try setting the Authentication method to “None (encryption only)” in the server settings dialog with Dw 21.3 and see if the connection gets successful.

Please let us know if you are looking for any additional info on the same, we can have a short remote connect session for further investigation on your machine.

Have a pleasant day!

Regards,

Nayan

Dreamweaver Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

121/21/2023 Update

Adobe Tech Support finally came through with a working solution to my FTP problem:

I got my provider to create a test account for Adobe use.  The solution is to set authentication method to None (encryption only) and use passive FTP and FTP performance optimization.  Now it works!!!!

KenC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines