• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Future CSS

Community Expert ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This video shows the power of CSS Toggles. 

NOTE:  This is an as yet unsupported browser feature.  But front end developers can experiment with it now with the aid of a pollyfill. 

https://codepen.io/designcourse/pen/bGLVxwZ

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
TOPICS
Code , Other

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Design Trends in 2022

Subtle scroll animations.   Some of these are so subtle, you may not notice them at first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Design Trends in 2022

Subtle scroll animations.   Some of these are so subtle, you may not notice them at first.

By @Nancy OShea

I don't see how they are design trends of 2022, that's just youtube 'clickbait'. The majority of the subtle animations shown in that video have been implemented for a few years now. Most of the other more 'in-your-face' animations shown are highly annoying and most likely why you don't see a lot on main stream websites. I think some developers forget a website is NOT to showcase your artistic skills but to present information in a way that is NOT annoying.  

A pretty pointless video really unless one goes into detail about how to create some of the examples shown....but I guess sticking something up on a youtube channel is good for algorithm purposes.........nothing much learned here I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mention the Design Trends because although scrolling animations have been around for a long time, the trend is moving towards a more organic, subtle approach.  IMO, continuous flow is a welcome improvement over former herky-jerky actions. 

DIY site builders like Webflow have embraced this trend and integrated it into their onboard tools.  Others are sure to follow.  Obviously, DW never will because it is what it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DIY site builders like Webflow have embraced this trend and integrated it into their onboard tools.  Others are sure to follow.  Obviously, DW never will because it is what it is.

By @Nancy OShea

I think most site-builders have been using scrolling animations for a long time, most of their templates are full of them. You can't move your mouse a millimetre without something flying in from the right or left or bouncing up and down using some kind of animation framework. The problem is knowing where, when and how frequently to deploy them and how subtlely, amatuers are not exactly know for their skills in 'consideration'. Most of the time this approach doesnt bring anything to the party, especially where is just used for 'in your face eye candy'

I remember when drop shadows where introduced into DTP and how very tacky they were too, applied to this that and the other in the wrong hands and not that great in the right hands. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you just come across Gary Nancy?

There are a few to follow on youtube, he is one of them 🙂 The same group also do challenges between each other and the odd colab as well.

For Everyone:

In terms of these features...

Webkits is alway supporting these and Apple will always have the latest Webkit with beta features even on production and the most bleeding edge browser to try out any new CSS features. Chrome does but always a little step or few steps behind.
Firefox is always up there but they like to wait till things are more standardised first.

As always - Never really use these on sites. They change a lot. Flex now to what was in its first 6 months is quite different. CSS Grid is still not standardised as well.

Do you need this feature?
It is helpful but you actually do not need to wait for this. You can do this in pure CSS now already..
https://codepen.io/raubaca/pen/PZzpVe

CSS New versions note:
CSS will never be CSS4 etc from CSS3. Its just CSS... They did away with versions and its just a constant evolution.

Logic in CSS:

As with many developers I am a bit on the fence with this stuff.
MVC and all methadologies around seperation are important. HTML - content and structure, CSS - style, JS - Function and while there is and should be some bleed over you do not want to see too much functionality stuff going into CSS.
The original CS4 plans for example had a lot of JS like functionality that was all scrapped for this very reason.

Stuff like variables is good. But I guess people will understand what I mean here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you just come across Gary Nancy?

There are a few to follow on youtube, he is one of them

By @Liam Dilley

Is he? I've personally always found him a bit lacking, other than UI design which he mostly focuses on and he tends to use a lot of frameworks, which can make you less aware. Most youtubers are not focused on one or two areas BUT spread their wings thinly to attract more views. Yes, this concept can give you some basic knowledge of a particular workflow but goes little beyond that. Developers should be aware youtube is mostly for the benefit of the youtuber not the viewer, don't take it as face value and think these people are necessarily experts.....a lot of the time they are just 'lifting' concepts which are on the particular frameworks website and slightly dressing it up to disguise the fact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes he has pushed the design editor he is involved with a lot more so why I check out his things less than I have. (But I do not blame him for doing so) - Most modern developers use a lot of frameworks, it is the current space and world of CSS and JS. (Not a fan and I gatheer your in the same boat but package managers and frameworks are the norm now) But he is very good.
Any of his video series where he takes designs submitted by people and makes improvements (which they can take away and do for free) are really good and he has the eye and smarts to illustrate small changes make a big difference.
|t takes time to produce videos in the quality that people look for these days on Youtube so if you watch and not think they are looking to make money is a crazy thought but Gary is helpful. You can see in the comments in all his videos he is. He would not have that many subs if that was not the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes he has pushed the design editor he is involved with a lot more so why I check out his things less than I have. (But I do not blame him for doing so) - Most modern developers use a lot of frameworks, it is the current space and world of CSS and JS. (Not a fan and I gatheer your in the same boat but package managers and frameworks are the norm now) But he is very good.
Any of his video series where he takes designs submitted by people and makes improvements (which they can take away and do for free) are really good and he has the eye and smarts to illustrate small changes make a big difference.
|t takes time to produce videos in the quality that people look for these days on Youtube so if you watch and not think they are looking to make money is a crazy thought but Gary is helpful. You can see in the comments in all his videos he is. He would not have that many subs if that was not the case.

By @Liam Dilley

Unfortunately I have a different perspective of youtubers, not all of course, but even that area is now regarded as far less trusting as you can make big amounts of money, which eventually corrupts you into pushing out everything and anything which you feel is going to get you views.

As for the subs, the majority are being cleverly courted and nurtured to remain active and view the videos, the majority are 'dreamers'.

Yes, youtube can be useful but only after you have been there and made the mistakes yourself can you pick out the good from the bad and a lot of it is very, very bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confess, I watch a LOT of YouTube.  It's my main source for "Karens," political podcasts, breaking news, and "how to fix-it" when something breaks videos.  I subscribe to several Photoshop channels, too.  But quite honestly, I rarely watch web developers.  I think that probably says more about me than it does about the quality of content that's available.  With web development, I prefer to read and work with code.  I retain more that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I confess, I watch a LOT of YouTube.  It's my main source for "Karens," political podcasts, breaking news, and "how to fix-it" when something breaks videos.  I subscribe to several Photoshop channels, too.  But quite honestly, I rarely watch web developers.  I think that probably says more about me than it does about the quality of content that's available.  With web development, I prefer to read and work with code.  I retain more that way.

By @Nancy OShea

I used to watch a lot of web-development videos on youtube until it became over-subscribed with them. It kind of made it harder to find good content and given the myriads of techniques and stacks to confront I gave up as it confused me more than it helped. I began to think, I know absolutely nothing. The real truth is there is no-one out there that could remotely call themselves an expert or even come close to knowing everything. Youtube videos address a few simple examples of workflows but no-one gets near to even addressing the real issues when producing a website. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines