• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GIT: Cannot commit any file

Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've installed Git and associated my site with a new Git repository, but I cannot commit any file. Here are some pictures of my preferences

git01.jpg

My Git preferences

git02.jpg

My Site preferences

My Git installation should be okay, I can open a Git Terminal for example

git03.jpg

git04.jpg

And the repository is shown as master

git05.jpg

Activating the Status checkbox should select every file because this is a fresh repository without any commits - but it doesn't work

git06.jpg

When I select a file manually the Commit-Button is still grayed out, I am not able to commit any file.

Please help me to solve this problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Hi frankw57151007,

There are some performance issues with the git panel which is why on selecting the main checkbox, all checkboxes are not getting selected and one staging any one file, the commit button is not enabled. These issues have been observed by us too when the repository has a large number of files.

But I would like you to stage and commit these same files from the git terminal which you could invoke from inside DW (from the files panel) and tell us if even then, commit isn't

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi frankw57151007,

There are some performance issues with the git panel which is why on selecting the main checkbox, all checkboxes are not getting selected and one staging any one file, the commit button is not enabled. These issues have been observed by us too when the repository has a large number of files.

But I would like you to stage and commit these same files from the git terminal which you could invoke from inside DW (from the files panel) and tell us if even then, commit isn't happening. If commit happens, is it quick enough or takes a while.

If even with the terminal you arent able to commit, then the issue is something else, which we'l have to narrow down to.

Thanks,

Archana Kaur,

Dreamweaver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Archana,

thank you for your response. I was able to stage and commit the files from the git terminal. My first attempt was a failure because there was an index.lock file in the .git folder. After I had deleted this file everything worked fine. I will answer more detailed tomorrow when I have more time.

Frank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Archana,

My website is large, the site contains 5986 files in 469 folders.

git07.jpg

I made several trials with Dreamweaver and Git. This means I deleted the .git directory and associated it again with the root of my website several times.

git10.jpg

My first attempt to add all files to Git via the the Git terminal failed, because of the index.lock file in the .git folder of my homepage. This file exists because the attempt to add all the files via the Dreamweaver Git window never finished.

git08.jpg

After I had deleted this file my attempt to add all files was successful. I made several trials how long it takes to add all the files of my homepage to the Git repository. To my surprise the time varies. The shortest time was 34 seconds, the longest 2 minutes. I have no idea what might have caused these differences.

git09.jpg

However, I was now able to commit the files successfully via the Git window.

Now that I know about the time it takes to add all the files of my homepage, I tried it again to do this via the Grit window. But I had no success. After some time the hook on the Status checkbox vanished and that's all. This is a serious error in my opinion and should be fixed. And this attempt leaves the index.lock file in the .git repository which prevents any further attempt.

I suggest the following

• fix the error I have described above
  • give the user a warning when someone is trying to close the Git window during an incomplete add action
  • delete the index.lock file after closing the Git window during an incomplete add action

Thank you for all your efforts

Frank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting this! Its apparently still an issue, but your post helped me move forward. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2019 May 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing the index.lock as mentioned was my issue, too. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having an issue in the git panel on selecting the main checkbox, all checkboxes are not getting selected.  My first couple attempts the commit button was grayed out. I had to delete the Git folder in my site directory and start over a few times.  Even then, I still can not select the main checkbox, I have to manually tick every check box for every file.  How can I fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue with Dreamweaver and Git. and has yet to be fixed.... 1 YEAR LATER!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had same issue couldn't stage/commit any files even one at a time! In my case I just deleted the index.lock file from git folder and it all worked as it should once removed the lock file. Hope this helps others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also deleteing the index.lock in the repository .git solved my issue. Thanks community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines