• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP!! Need a script for DUMMIES for a simple login/register feature

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know very little html and am more of a designer, but my programmer has let me me down so I have to take this on myself.

I want to include a very common feature where visitors register to my site, so I can collect some information and contact details from them, then they can access hidden pages of the site and receive some exclusive download links by email, allowing them to download content (only once). They can then login each time they visit with a userID or email and a password.

My host supports almost every scripting language.

I've been told PHP is what I need, but I know absolutley nothing about it. My host said there is templates for such a simple script out there on the net for free but I'm being passed from pillar to post with scripts for much more complicated and rarer scripts than I need.

Hope you can help.

LB

TOPICS
Server side applications

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Dreamweaver Log In User and Restrict Access to Page server behaviors will accomplish what you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David

Could you expand on that please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

typomann,

What part of the documentation supplied with Dreamweaver that covers this subject are you having trouble with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at the documentation here: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamweaver/10.0_Using/WScbb6b82af5544594822510a94ae8d65-7883a.html. It takes you through the process of building a login system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Thanks for your help on this, Im getting there ....... slowly.

Do I need to create a database to store users info first?

Is this a basic html page with a table with lots and lots or rows and columns for each of the details they have entered (e.g Name, DOB, Address.....etc)??

I'm at the stage where I've selected the 'Insert Record' from the Server Behaviours drop down menu, but hardly any of the options on the Insert record menu apply to me as I haven't created the database yet.

Do I take a guess at the number of rows needed? Or does each new user that registers get a row for their data created automatically?

thanks again for your help, I've made real progress.

LB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I need to create a database to store users info first?

Yes. Without a database, it won't work.

Is this a basic html page with a table with lots and lots or rows and columns for each of the details they have entered (e.g Name, DOB, Address.....etc)??

No, I'm afraid not. Dreamweaver's PHP server behaviors work in conjunction with the MySQL database. If your hosting company supports PHP, you will almost certainly have access to a MySQL database and phpMyAdmin, a web-based program that helps create and maintain MySQL databases. As a minimum, your users table in the database will need three columns:

• user_id (a number that acts as the primary key for each record)
  • username
  • password

You can also have other columns to store other details, such as first name, family name, and any other information that you want to store.

If you have never done any PHP or database development before, this is going to be a major undertaking for you. The Adobe Developer Centre has some articles that show you how to set up a PHP/MySQL testing environment (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/setting_up_php.html) and create your first database-driven pages (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/php_event_registration.html). The Dreamweaver help files also step you through the process of creating a login system (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamweaver/10.0_Using/WScbb6b82af5544594822510a94ae8d65-7883a.html).

Working with PHP/MySQL isn't difficult, but there's a lot to absorb. If you're going to start working with login systems and other database-driven features, you might find it useful to take a look at one of my books about Dreamweaver and PHP. I have different editions for Dreamweaver 8, CS3, and CS4. You can find more details at my website (http://foundationphp.com/).

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2009 May 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,  Im also a novice when it comes to setting up dynamic websites.  After an exhaustive search of the internet I'm left wondering whether 'PHP/MySql' or 'ASP.Net/MySql' is the best way forward!  I'd be grateful for your thoughts on this.  Also ...  should I consider buying the DW extension 'Form Registration and Login'  from HotDreamweaver as a quick fix for a login script - http://www.hotdreamweaver.com/form-registration-and-login ? Best wishes, Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no experience of ASP.NET, apart from briefly running through a basic tutorial several years ago, so I can't compare it with PHP on the basis of knowing both technologies. From what I understand, ASP.NET is very powerful, but it comes at the cost of a steep learning curve. I have also seen several people comment in this forum that ASP.NET is more suited for large web applications, and that it's overkill for small websites.

PHP is also very powerful, but has a much gentler learning curve. You also have the advantage of being able to use Dreamweaver's built-in PHP server behaviors. Dreamweaver no longer supports ASP.NET.

As for the extension you mention, I have never tried it, so can't comment on its quality. However, you shouldn't need an extension to build a login system. Dreamweaver's server behaviors provide all the functionality you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks David.  That's great!  I think my mind is now made up.  I need to learn PHP .....  fast!! Cheers, Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 13, 2009 May 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this thread has already answered? If it has then make sure you mark it as answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The answer is not the answer to the question though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines