Exit

How do I highlight text in Dreamweaver MX 2004

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2009 Jun 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI to all Dreamweaver extension Forum Participants:

HI to anyone:

I posted a question on how do I highlight text in Dreamweaver MX 2004, to both the Dreamweaver Development Toolbox General Discussion Forum and the Dreamweaver Extension Forum on Tuesday, 6/16/2009 or Wednesday, 6/17/2009, saying this:

HI Anyone:

I have looked under Help and Tutorials in Dreamweaver MX 2004, and I am having a heck of a time finding out how to highlight text in Dreamweaver MX 2004.

Do any of you know how to do this actually in Dreamweaver MX 2004?  Say I wanted to highlight this text, all in Yellow:

This is sample highlighted text.

How would I do it?

Thank you,

Jon Lutz

Promoter Power LLC

Email: support@promoter-power.com

And I got this response from pziecana, in the Dreamweaver Development Toolbox General Discussion:

Re: How do I highlight text in Dreamweaver MX 2004

The simplest way is to use a span and set a background-color for the text you wish to highlight.

e.g.

<span class="graybg">This is some text</span>

css for above -

.graybg{
   backgroung- color: #666666;
}

This would give you a gray background.

HTH

PZ

I tried both, and neither worked.  Any other ideas on how to do this?  I cannot believe it is so hard to do this in Dreamweaver MX 2004, highlighting text.  I'm even enclosing an attachment showing how I did this in the <span class="graybg">This is some text</span> above.

Thank you,

Jon Lutz

Promoter Power LLC

TOPICS
Extensions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is not much point in posting the same question twice, as this will only confuse people, so please close your previous thread or this one.

The code I gave you is two parts one goes in your body code, the css in your style code in the head content. From experience your image will be queued for quite a while (I have known it to be for up to 2 days), so can you create a short example of a page and I will use this to demonstrate what I mean.

Use copy from DW and the browser (edit paste), to insert the code here.

PZ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey PZ:

I accidently posted to the Dreamweaver Extensions twice this morning. But

if you go to http://promoterpower.com/test.html, you will see the both of

the codes below:

<span class="graybg">This is some text</span> between the <body></body> tags And this (between the <head></head> tags:

.graybg{

backgroung- color: #666666;

}

I hope you can show me what you mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have placed the css in the wrong place and not removed the text.

place the css code below above the following:

-->
</style>

.graybg{
   background-color: #666666;
}

It should then read:

body {
    background-color: #FFFF66;
}
.graybg{
}
-->
</style>

</head>

HTH

PZ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI PZ:

Here is the new Code:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"> <html> <head> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> <title>Sample highlighted text</title> <style type="text/css"> <!-- .style1 { font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-weight: bold; color: #000000; } body { background-color: #FFFF66; } --> </style> </head> <body> <table width="500" border="1" align="center" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" bordercolor="#FFCC33" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"> <tr> <th scope="row"><p class="style1"><span class="graybg">This is some text</span> .</p> <p class="style1">I'm trying to highlight this text in yellow or gray.</p> <p class="style1">Can anyone help me with this?</p> <p class="style1">Thank you,</p> <p class="style1">Jon Lutz</p> <p class="style1">Promoter Power LLC <br> <br> <span class="graybg">This is some highlighted text</span> </p></th> </tr> </table> <p><span class="graybg"><br> <br> </span></p> <p>  </p> </body> </html>

But I still don't see any of the text higlighted in gray in the browser?

What's up with that? Man, Dreamweaver is so hard to get to highlight text -

GOOD GRIEF, Why can't Adobe make it easy? What a Pain!!!

Go to http://promoterpower.com/test.html, and you will see what I mean about

any of the text being highlighted.

Thank you,

Jon Lutz

Promoter Power LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have not changed the css!

Your css (<style type="text/css">css goes here</style>) should be changed to read:

<style type="text/css">
<!--
.style1 {
    font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-size: 12px;
    font-weight: bold;
    color: #000000;
}
body {
    background-color: #FFFF66;
}
.graybg{
}
-->
</style>

PZ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2009 Jun 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI PZ:

Here is the new code, and it works (Go to

http://promoterpower.com/test.html, and you will see the text highlighted in

yellow, with now a blue page background:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"> <html> <head> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> <title>Sample highlighted text</title> <style type="text/css"> <!-- .style1 { font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-weight: bold; color: #000000; } body { background-color: #009999; } .yellowbg{ background-color: #FFCC33; } --> </style> </head> <body> <table width="500" border="1" align="center" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" bordercolor="#FFCC33" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"> <tr> <th scope="row"><p class="style1"><span class="yellowbg">This is some text</span> .</p> <p class="style1">I'm trying to highlight this text in yellow or gray.</p> <p class="style1">Can anyone help me with this?</p> <p class="style1">Thank you,</p> <p class="style1">Jon Lutz</p> <p class="style1">Promoter Power LLC <br> <br> <span class="yellowbg">This is some highlighted text</span> </p></th> </tr> </table> <p><span class="graybg"><br> <br> </span></p> <p>  </p> </body> </html>

By the way, what does HTH and PZ mean in your signature below?

Thank you,

Jon Lutz

Promoter Power LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2009 Jun 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome.

css is easy once you know how, (but that can and does take time).

HTH = Hope that helps.

PZ = Paula Ziecina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way (but very messy way, as it creates a different rule for each individual highlighted text), is to select design view in DW, - highlight the text by holding the left mouse button down and dragging the cursor along the text you wish to highlight, - Go to the properties panel (normally at the bottom of the screen (if not select it from the Window menu item at the top of DW, - click on the box labeled Bg (about 30% from the left), - select the color you require for the text.

As I say this produces exessive code and is very messy, but it works.

PZ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines