• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do i move a Dreamweaver site to a new location and keep the GIT repository?

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2024 Jul 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I think this is a pretty simple situation, but it's causing me no end of trouble! May be someone here can help.

What I want to do is very simple: I need to move the local folder for a dreamweaver site to a new location. The complication is that this site has a GIT reposisitory. In the site's current location the GIT repository is working very nicely, along with a remote set up to a GitLab remote repository. All well and good so far.

I started by copying the local folder from it's current location to the new location. I checked and the .git hidden folder and .gitignore hidden file got copied to the new location along with all the visible files.

I then went into Dreamweaver and edited the site definition so that the path to the new local folder pointed to the new location. (I also checged the server definition as that is moving as well.)

At this point Dreameaver always crashed, so I just restarted Dreamweaver.

Only now all the stuff in the GIT panel is all greyed out.

I also tried creating an empty folder in the new location and cloning the site from the remote repository on GitLab. The files were all copied correctly from the remote repository, but the GIT panel was once again stubbornly greyed.

I did this last week with another site and that all went smoothly and everything is working just fine with the local folder in the new location. I've no idea what I'm doing differently this week! (But note that Dreamweaver always crashes when I chenge a site definition to a new local folder location and I remmber it doing that last week too.)

So can anyone help me get the GIT panel to be un-greyed out for this second site? You will have me eternal gratitude if you can 🙂

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2024 Jul 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Restore Preferences

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/restore-preferences-dreamweaver.html

2. Restart Dreamweaver and create a new site definition. 

Site > New Site > Local Site folder:  C:\YourSite2 (where C:\ is your computer's primary hard drive).

3. Set-up GIT for YourSite2.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/git-support.html

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2024 Jul 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately resetting preferences made no difference at all. At step 3, whetherI I intialise a new GIT repository or clone an existing one from Gitlab all the options in the GIT panel remain frustratingly greyed out afterwards. Is there anything else you can suggest?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I know is what's published below.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/git-support.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Instead of copying the local files, clone the files from the remote repository: 

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines