• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I transfer database info from my local DB to my DB on-line?

Mar 26, 2010 Mar 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Okay, I'm stonewalled until I get this handled: I have a functioning database on my local test server. How do I get its contents to the database I created on my web server of the same name?

I had assumed that I opened the DB in phpMyAdmin locally, exported the data, and then imported it via phpMyAdmin on my web server.

If this is correct, all I need to know is WHERE phpMyAdmin stored the exported file...it offers no manner to choose the destination folder.

Any and all help...greatly appreciated. I am stuck without some assistance.

Many thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

wordman

TOPICS
Server side applications

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2010 Mar 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

phpMyAdmin stores the files in the same folder that you have specified for the 'downloads' folder in your browser settings. Just ensure you give the file a distinctive name that will make it easy to find.

PZ

www.pziecina.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PZ,

Thank you! I (use Firefox) don't specify a set folder for my downloads, I choose where any time I download something. I'll have a look in the last folder in which I stored a download.

Cheers and thanks for the help,

wordman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often copy the text from the text display in the export function of PHPMyAdmin local into TextWrangler (Barebones.com free)as a text file and then in the SQL of the apropriate darabase on the remoteserver. Never thought about where PHPMyAdmin stores it. Wasn't neccesary. To get de DB work on the remoteserver the remote connectionfile needs to have the remote pass user en db names. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

arnhemcs,

Many thanks for the detailed answer. However, as a relative newcomer, all of that made no sense to me. I'm looking for a more step-by-step process, so if there is a reference someone can steer me toward, I would really appreciate it.

Cheers,

wordman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are great books bij David Powers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

arnhemcs,

Yes, I have used PHP Solutions to get as far as I have with my online photo gallery. David is a brilliant teacher. I'm not finding the specifics in it to answer my question here though.

The reason I asked the original question the way I did is because recently I was installing an open-source application on a website, and it required me to create a database on my server, then to import a file from the bundle of open-source files to flesh out the DB. Thus, I was under the impression I could do that as well. phpMyAdmin is perhaps a warm, user friendly interface to software engineersa, but it is not always easy for me, a relative newcomer. So in your more detailed answer, I was completely lost.

I have tried perusing the online help file for phpMyAdmin, but it is huge.

All I need is someone to tell me in more basic terms what to do. I'm not a complete newbie, I have enough programming experience to have used what David Powers shows us in PHP Solutions to not only build the photo gallery as he shows, but I then modified the code to have the gallery work in a manner that better suited my requirements. My test DB for this gallery is small, so I just re-created it on the server with phpMyAdmin at the server itself. Gallery works fantastic.

Now I am embarking on designing the sctual DB for my galleries which will have more to it, and all I want to kn ow is how to go from local to remote. There must be a step-by-step out there. I'll Google it.

Cheers,

wordman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have got it working locally it is not a big deal.

- You have to put your database on the Remote server.

Export and import again a .sql file or to and from your desktop.

Or use the method I descriped by using the SQL button on import. Only use the tables information in the textfile.

The empty database you should allready have created.

Write down* the databasename, the password  and the username

- You have to put all your local files on the Remote server accept the Connections folder.

- You have to put another Connections folder on  the Remote server with a file with exact the same name but with* the db pass and user of your remote server instead. (don't overwrite this with the local connections folder).

You hardly don't need any study on this accept getting used to PHPmyAdmin.

Just try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

arnhemcs,

Thank you for the elaboration. Creating the database on the remote server is not a problem, nor are the connection files, etc.

Tell me if I'm goign about this incorrectly:

I hit the export button in phpMyAdmin and it gives me options, many of which I don't understand, but i see no place for a 'save to' destination.

I'm foggy on exporting a .sql file to the desktop. Sorry for the basic questions, but all I have ever done is local work. I have my test DB on the remote server now and it works, but I need a new, more intricate DB to continue.

Thanks!!! : )

Cheers,

wordman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on a Mac. If I save the file it goes to my desktop.

My PHPmyAdmin is in Dutch. I am beginning to understand your problem.

I am using PHPmyAdmin 2.7.0

It might be different with you.

1. Select the database.

2. Hit export.

On the page you arrive you see two horizontal grey fields.

The first has many options.

Probably you should leave it as is.

A smaller grey field is below.

The field starts with a small checkfield probably called Send (or something like that).

Because I see the translation I cannot see what it is called with you.

You need to check it.

I guess this is the detail you missed.

The templatename you may adept.

Leave the radiobuttons on none. (At least I do)

Now it will create a .sql document at your desktop if you hit start.

If you don't check the send checkfield you enter a new page which shows the bare code which you could copy to follow the method I myself use most of the times.

The reason for that is that the result on importing works always and if it doesn't you more easely can find where it goes wrong.

I often ran into the problem of my .sql document being not accepted. This became my workaround.

You probably work on Windows. To do this you need a bare texteditor certainly nothing like Word.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2010 Mar 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wordman-GL wrote:

I hit the export button in phpMyAdmin and it gives me options, many of which I don't understand, but i see no place for a 'save to' destination.

There are no options in phpMyAdmin for specifying where the .sql file is saved. First of all, you need to make sure that the "Save as file" checkbox is selected in phpMyAdmin. If it is, the browser saves the file to your default download destination when you click Go.

In Firefox, you can find the default download destination by choosing Tools > Options. The setting for the download destination is on the General tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

Thank you for the elaboration, I will check these items today.

On a different note, I want to thank you for your excellent book, 'PHP Solutions'. I bought it not having known there would be a lesson about building a photo gallery, but that is exactly what I needed. I was able to learn from your book because it is so well written, and I was able to modify your code to suit my own needs for my gallery. No other book has ever been so helpful, and combined with the Friends of ED website with book updates, downloads and their forums, 'PHP Solutions' is not just a book, but a dynamic tool. Add to this your generous support here on the Adobe forum, and I am left feeling confident that I can accomplish whatever task I set for myself.

You devote a lot of time here, with your books and likely in many other places as well...I want you to know that I completely appreciate your efforts!

Thank you!

Sincerely,,

wordman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

Thank you for the elaboration, it works just as explained..

On a different note, I want to thank you for your excellent book, 'PHP Solutions'. I bought it not having known there would be a lesson about building a photo gallery, but that is exactly what I needed. I was able to learn from your book because it is so well written, and I was able to modify your code to suit my own needs for my gallery. No other book has ever been so helpful, and combined with the Friends of ED website with book updates, downloads and their forums, 'PHP Solutions' is not just a book, but a dynamic tool. Add to this your generous support here on the Adobe forum, and I am left feeling confident that I can accomplish whatever task I set for myself.

You devote a lot of time here, with your books and likely in many other places as well...I want you to know that I completely appreciate your efforts!

Thank you!

Sincerely,

wordman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines