• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to open a Wordpress website in Dreamweaver.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

So, i'm trying to edit a Wordpress Website that was run by someone else in Dreamweaver.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Hi Anna

You are definitely not going to be better off trying to build this yourself.

You should learn about administering a Wordpress site, and look at using themes to change the appearance. You must do some further learning before attempting any of this—it's not as easy as you may think at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey.

You’ll need to install an application like MAMP or WAMP to run a local server on your machine and more. You could get started with the learning curve by checking out Brian Wood’s article here: Editing a WordPress theme with Dreamweaver CS5 – Part 1: Learning the basics | Adobe Developer Conne...

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi tonyharmer​

I already follow a few different tutorials now getting same outcome each time a blank page?

Thank you for the suggestion though I will try that one too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly are you trying to do with this site in Dreamweaver?  You cannot edit an existing WordPress site in Dreamweaver.  WordPress sites must be maintained inside WodPress via the online admin panel. 

Everything in WordPress is  assembled on the fly by server-side code and content stored inside the online database.   In short, there are no real web pages to edit in Dreamweaver. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Nancy I don't think I understand.

Ive been tasked with ultimately re designing the clubs current website however they want it in Wordpress and I am unused too this software.

However for now I just want to be able to move the current content around, get rid of overlapping texted and change colours in Dreamweaver preferably as Im not used to Wordpress. They original did the website on wordpress.org using a template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to be blunt but if you're not experienced with all aspects of WordPress, you're really out of your depth with this project.   WP sites are nothing like working with static HTML in Dreamweaver.

First you need to learn how WP sites work and more specifically how to work with your WP theme (or child theme) which drives the site's appearance and functionality.   Developing WP Themes  requires good coding skills (PHP, HTML, CSS and JavaScript).  What your WP Theme lacks in functionality can often be addressed with optional WP plugins.  One WP plugin you might like is the  Elementor page builder which gives users a click & drag way to build pages from the WP Admin panel.

Before you undertake this  project, I suggest  you build yourself a WordPress site to practice with.   See links below.  In addition to the tutorials on WordPress.org, you will find structured courses on LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Nancy

So maybe I am better just building a new version of the website in Dreamweaver myself if they insist on me managing the website.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But didn't they say they want a WordPress site? 

Without WordPress, how will your client maintain the site when you're not around?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Nancy

Its not for a client its for a friends club and I have far to much school work to do to learn all this at the moment maybe in the Sumer holidays.

Ill try learning Wordpress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your friends should find someone who already knows and uses WordPress.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anna

You are definitely not going to be better off trying to build this yourself.

You should learn about administering a Wordpress site, and look at using themes to change the appearance. You must do some further learning before attempting any of this—it's not as easy as you may think at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

So, i'm trying to edit a Wordpress Website that was run by someone else in Dreamweaver.

I followed this tutorial: How to Set Up WordPress in Dreamweaver - YouTube

It was all going well until I got to the final step where he opens his Dreamweaver and in live view seems his webpage and I see white ???

I think I have successfully install a local server (MAMP), then set up a database and logged into my local severs Wordpress and import my own content onto the local Wordpress website although it doesn't look right but nor dose his.

When I try open the Wordpress local in Dreamweaver I just get a white page.

Ive gone through trying to workout what i've done wrong, but I cant find the problem. Please help  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I think the first thing is to have clear bases. For starters I think WordPress (Blog Tool, Publishing Platform, and CMS — WordPress ) is better. It's free and easy to use. Also currently is the trend and what he uses the most. It allows you to add a lot of plugins, themes and add-ons.

I have tested Pinegrow (https://pinegrow.com/), Themes Generator (https://themesgenerator.com/) and Webflow (https://webflow.com/). Pinegrows, it still costs me a lot, so I do not recommend it to begin with. However, Themes Generator and Webflow are tools that can be used by both beginners and professionals, with good results in the designs.

I leave a couple of practical tutorials to encourage you to create a space or move the one you had. It has helped me a lot when it comes to creating a theme.

Creating a WordPress theme in 15 minutes [using Themes Generator] - YouTube

Webflow for beginners (001) - Introduction to Webflow - YouTube

I hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lynda.com has a whole series on exactly how to do this...including setting up the databse links and can preview the wordpress website in a web browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

BenPleysier_0-1649983840766.jpeg

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines