• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images not showing....sorry I know this gets asked all the time!

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2012 Nov 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I apologise profusely for posting this question as I have browed and it seems to have appeared a lot.

However, I am probably shooting myself in the foot here but I don't see myself as a complete beginner but I do have a little knowledge.

I know how and where my folders, styles/base.css and images should be located within the root folder, no caps, no punctation etc.

I have done all this and checked it umpteen times yet still cannot get my images to view live on the website. You guessed it - they appear fine in the Dreamweaver window but we all know this is not a good representation of what is live online.

I have just started from scratch on this home page again as I thought I had maybe missed something so excuse me for the lack of development but would rather nip this in the bud before I continue!

www.rimlessdirect.co.uk

Thanks in advance and I apologise again for the images question!

TOPICS
Preview , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 02, 2012 Nov 02, 2012

Something is wrong with your site definition. You index page is located in a remote folder named 'web'. This is probaby the remote site root folder. Yet your images are located above site root, which won't work. You have most likely defined your remote site to your account root, not the public folder.  Show us your remote site definition (obscure any login details).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing all sorts of 404 File Not Found Errors.

It appears you have not uploaded your images to the server.

There either isn't an images folder, aren't images in that forlder or it is in the wrong location (it should be on the same level as your index.html page, according to your links).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some other issues I see, you have html ids and names set with spaces in their names, you can't do that.

id="find us" needs to be changed to id="find_us"

Your .css file is also not uploaded or in the wrong location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

problem is, both files are on the server, images and styles which includes the base file.... confused?!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

saz368 wrote:

problem is, both files are on the server, images and styles which includes the base file.... confused?!!

OK, you may need to talk to your server administrator then, because when I browse to the absolute file path...

www.rimlessdirect.co.uk/images/h_n02.jpg

I get a 404 File Not Found

If your site structure is anything but this on the server, it won't work...

index.html

images

h_n02.jpg

h_n03.jpg

etc...

etc...

styles

base.css

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy and Jon, I have uploaded some screen shots for you to maybe pin point where I am going wrong if there is nothing in the code?

I can't say I've ever had this problem before and I haven't ever user namesco hosting before either so I'm not sure if it's a problem there or not.

See below please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why they haven't uploaded as pics on screen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something is wrong with your site definition. You index page is located in a remote folder named 'web'. This is probaby the remote site root folder. Yet your images are located above site root, which won't work. You have most likely defined your remote site to your account root, not the public folder.  Show us your remote site definition (obscure any login details).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome  - thank you so much! Must be the way namesco works.

Thank you to everyone else for your help xxx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, did you define a local site folder in DW before you began this project?  Without this critical first step, DW cannot properly manage site assets and links for you.  Go to Site > Manage Sites > New...

See Setting Up Local & Remote site folders

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/dreamweaver/cs/using/WS753df6af718a350a60097e0f131686fa2b4-7ffe.html

When things go south during development, validate your code & fix reported errors. This is your single best defense against unwanted problems later.

Code Validation Tools

------------------------------------

CSS - http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

HTML - http://validator.w3.org/

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy,

I believe I have done that. manage sites =>new site showed it the images folder, showed it the root folder etc

I think the problem lies with the links somewhere I juat can't pin point where.

Would screen shots of the site dialog boxes help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is where your page says images should be. But they are not showing up there.

www.rimlessdirect.co.uk/images/h_n02over.jpg

Try uploading your images folder again.

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy,

the same idea! I just need a bit longer to convert my German thoughts into English.

Hans-Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

altogether indicates that you didn't have uploaded your images to the server (as Jon said), otherwise we should see one of your images when we use a link to them like: http://www.rimlessdirect.co.uk/images/h_n02over.jpg. (Assuming I used the correct path copied from your source code).

Please control the pathes.

On the other hand, there are sometimes "provider restrictions" relating to size and/or type of your images.

Hans-Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines