• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Many Frustrating Problems

Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Dreamweaver for probably 20 years now and since about 2015 I've notice a steep decline in performance and it seems like it only get's worse with each new release. Even though I have it set to not auto update without my permission it still auto updates anyways, so thanks for that. 2021 Installed itself the other day and I'm about at my wits end with it. Iv'e tried getting help from support, from forums, from following possible solutions from other users, to reinstalling my OS, upgrading my computer, even trying on other computers, the performance is just trash and Adobe should be ashamed, but I guess you can't expect more from a souless global mega corporation.

- Performance - TERRIBLE, basic functions such as scrolling, selecting, typing and just about everything is unreasonably slow. I'm working ONLY in code view, have EVERYTHING disabled so no linting, no code complete, no validation running, nothing, and still I have very slow and sluggish response times. Selecting a large chunk of code makes it skip and lag terribly. Even basic scrolling of any size text file is laggy. Way too laggy. Makes me so mad that this is a problem, we're talking the most basic of features here, a text editor. Again, this is an issue since 2015, I have tried many times over to fix this, iv'e never been successful. Performance bad on at least 5 computers from my office, home and a friends. All bad.

- Search
Another basic function and it fails 1 out of 20 times maybe. At first I thought I was just not typing something correctly but upon further investigation the search is just failing. I type in the keyword, finds nothing, I close and reopen the search it can now find it. I THINK the problem is when I tab back into the application and run the search command to quickly with ctrl+f ctrl+v before dreamweaver is fully loaded and it puts the search in a strange state that it can't actually function or something. I'm just guessing.

- Prediction
Okay while writing this I double checked what is going on and maybe I am at fault here, but still WTF is going on? When I start typing and it shows a prediction this whole time I thought it was Tab that selected the prediction, but now I am realizing that Enter may be what I want. Tab is selecting something, but it's totally random, and sometimes it just tabs instead of selecting something. What does Tab do with predictions? Why is it not clear? Why would it sometimes work, and sometimes create a tab?

-Auto save and upload

Maybe this is a problem with the server, or a problem with my network, but around march of this year something happened where saving will infrequently fail to connect ot the server and it gets hung up in a connection loop for 30 seconds or so and if I try and cancel it the whole thing will sometimes crash and I have to force close it. It is beyond frustrating when I am working on something and my workflow is randomly stopped to a a halt while this connection issue works itself out.

- Auto Close Quote

Another really annoying issue that arises all the time. If I have a single quote and I need to add a single close quote, it adds 2, and if I try to remove 1 it removes 2. I have to to a shift select and cut to fool it, but it's just silly, you can't make the software understand there is already existing a single quote?

Window 10 Pro 64bit with up to date drivers/patches

AMD FX 8350 8c/4ghz

24gb ram

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8gb vram up to date driver DX12

Computer is getting kinda old now, but for general purpose text editing it should be by far and away capable.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Performance issues with versions after CC2015 have been a problem with DW, so I still use that version for production. It's still available through Adobe's severs, but they don't link to it through the CC Desktop App any longer. You can get it here: https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2015-direct-download-links.html just make sure to follow the "very important instructions" to set the cookie on Adobe's site that allows the download.

"- Prediction
Okay while writing this I double checked what is going on and maybe I am at fault here, but still WTF is going on? When I start typing and it shows a prediction this whole time I thought it was Tab that selected the prediction, but now I am realizing that Enter may be what I want. Tab is selecting something, but it's totally random, and sometimes it just tabs instead of selecting something. What does Tab do with predictions? Why is it not clear? Why would it sometimes work, and sometimes create a tab?"

Since CC 2015, an installation of Emmet exists in DW to aid in speeding up hand-coding. Without understanding Emmet abbreviations, I can understand how it would seem to produce random code. The Tab key is used to "expand" Emmet abbreviations. Enter is used to select from the DW Code Hint list.

"- Auto Close Quote

Another really annoying issue that arises all the time. If I have a single quote and I need to add a single close quote, it adds 2, and if I try to remove 1 it removes 2. I have to to a shift select and cut to fool it, but it's just silly, you can't make the software understand there is already existing a single quote?"

I can't stand DW's desire to close braces and quotes, especially while working with javascript or PHP, so I turn it off. Go to Edit > Preferences > Code Hints and uncheck both Auto-insert Braces and Auto-insert Quotes and that particular headache should go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

DW CC runs fine on my aging Win10 workstation.  There was a known problem with latency in the 20.2 version but that hasn't reared its ugly head in the latest October 2020 release (ver 21.0).

If your performance problem is a long standing one, it could be due to other factors.  You may wish to perform a clean install after running the Adobe Cleaner tools.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

NOTE:  Owing to Adobe's version policy, you can no longer access versions beyond 2 back (20 & 21) from CC Desktop App.  As newer versions come out, old ones are dropped from the list.  Use the ProDesign Tools link that Jon supplied.  And do make a backup copy.  Adobe could remove old installers at anytime.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines