Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MS db Connection String using ASP VBScript and DW8

Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2011 Aug 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

My MS db has been working with DW8 followong my use of a connection string in connSci***.asp. My OS is Windows7. This has worked fine.

<%
' FileName="Connection_ado_conn_string.htm"
' Type="ADO"
' DesigntimeType="ADO"
' HTTP="true"
' Catalog=""
' Schema=""
Dim MM_connSciWeb_STRING
MM_connSciWeb_STRING = "DSN=DSN_******"
%>

Now when I update the db and check that the new additional records have been added (and they have been) I can still only access the original records. When I retest the connection string I get the 404 error message.

Can anyone help?

Regards

Kevin

TOPICS
Server side applications

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Aug 16, 2011 Aug 16, 2011

Is the synopsis of your issue that bregent provided correct? Please clarify that for us. Connection problems are not uncommon. but they are fixable.the first thing I think you need to resolve is the error when you test the connection in DW. If you didn't change anything in the connection script, then that means something changed on the server with the DSN or DB file itself, as bregent said. Recheck all the server files, DB location and DSN with the path to the DB. You could try deleting the DSN

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 14, 2011 Aug 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>This has worked fine.

When did it stop working? What changes did you make?

MM_connSciWeb_STRING = "DSN=DSN_******"

Any particular reason you are using DSN rather than DSNless connections?

>Now when I update the db and check that the new additional records  have

>been added (and they have been) I can still only access the  original records.

Can you explain? How do you know the new records where added if you can't access them?

>When I retest the connection string I get the 404  error message.

How are you testing the connection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using a recordset on a page, and viewing that page for testing purposes, sometimes you have to go back and "refresh" the recordset. This is simply opening it and reserving it, then upload the page again. I don't know if this is some sort of bug, but I've had to do it often after making a change to the database. . Also, there have been times when my recordset is based on a query, I've had to refresh the query as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I don't recall making any changes to make it stop working.

There is no particular reason I are using DSN rather than DSNless connections. It just was working. I had trouble connecting and this on one worked.

I have a look at the ms database using Core FTP LE.

I test the connection string with DW.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 15, 2011 Aug 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I have a look at the ms database using Core FTP LE.

Let me see if I understand the facts.

1) This is a remote database

2) You update the data using a server side script, and the updated data appears on the website

3) You retrieve the Access database but the new data is not in there

If those facts are correct, then the database you are updating is not the same one you are viewing locally. This is a common problem and I know I've run into it before. Someone else recently experienced the same thing in the DW forum and not sure if they ever resolved it. To start with, make sure you only have one version of the database on the remote server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but once again I feel compelled to make this declaration. Dump remote Access databases! There are so many web hosts nowadays who offer Windows hosting and MSSQL databases. It's very easy to transfer your Access data and very easy to manage. Create an Access project file with the ADP extension to connect to and manage the database just as if you're working in a regular Access file. The only downside is that the DB has to allow remote connections, which many do not recommend. However, some web hosts also offer online admin tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Dump remote Access databases!

I agree, but MS Access does work fine if the site is very, very low volume. And I still feel compelled to get the immediate problem resolved too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear ya. You seem to have a better understanding of the problem going by your previous post, I hadn't considered that there may be two database files up there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all of this guys.

Switch to another system. But at the moment, with lowish volume, I need to resolve this prob. Hope I can get some inspiration sometime.

Kev

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 16, 2011 Aug 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the synopsis of your issue that bregent provided correct? Please clarify that for us. Connection problems are not uncommon. but they are fixable.the first thing I think you need to resolve is the error when you test the connection in DW. If you didn't change anything in the connection script, then that means something changed on the server with the DSN or DB file itself, as bregent said. Recheck all the server files, DB location and DSN with the path to the DB. You could try deleting the DSN and recreating it. I would also suggest to try a DSN-less connection. These have been widely used with Access databases for many years, so you should easily be able to find instructions with a quick Google search. .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2011 Aug 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys

Sorry for the very slow reply but I have been on route from Italy to Uk by car!  Very taxing and long journey. Now back to the problem.

The problem has been solved. I had to look for where the db was located on the server and change the direction to the db in the root folder. Like many things, it is easy when you spot that a couple of letters are wrong.

Thanks again.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 22, 2011 Aug 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is often the case, sometimes just getting away from it for a while is the best thing you can do. Even if it means a long car ride! To someone like me who lives in the States, driving from Italy to the UK sounds like a wonderful adventure. I hope to do it someday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines