• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No ASP/ASP.Net support in Dreamweaver CC

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another Disabled or depreicated 'feature'. No ASP of ASP.Net support in DW CC.

At: * Vista/Windows 7: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CC\Configuration\DisabledFeatures there are a some .mxp files to add these functions back.

Took the  steps required to convert mpx to ZXP.

http://www.projectseven.com/products/cloud-install.htm

The extension, ASP_JS_Support.mxp, once converted throws an error. It is searching for files in directories that do not exist. There is  Menus.xml file in the /configuration/Menus/ directory, the the 'element' is not in the file at all. See image below.

DWCC-error.jpg

This is my most required function.

When we open a new file, many file type starter pages are no longer available including ASP, Cold Fusion etc. Are these going to be added back?

DW-Filetypes.jpg

Add my voice to legions of others showing Our disappointment with DW CC's lack of support for developers. CC is simply a CSS, HTML WYSYWIG editor now. We should not have to load extensions to the primary program we use to develop our websites. While HTML 5 and CSS can develop great sites, the fact is there are millions of websites that function perfectly without these and will continue to do so.

IMHO Adobe focused completely on new technology, which is not even supported fully by browsers, and ignored technologies that are in use today. You missed by a mile and I regret purchasing a Cloud Account just to see what a drop shadow or curved border looks like in live view.

Support? Do I even need to go there?

I had such hopes for this version of DW, looks like CS6 will remain my main program.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

I solved this adding ".asp" to the "open in dreamweaver" in the preferences, but also configuring the site server model as "asp vbscript".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried getting back server behaviors or extensions. I pushed myself to leave ASP a couple years ago and I've been using Visual Studio Express to build new .net pages. I use DW to edit legacy sites or for quick edits to .net pages and to upload files to the server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 29, 2013 Aug 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My experience is the same - pushed myself to leave ASP, but I went towards PHP instead of .NET. This decision was largely based on my utilization of extensions, both from WebAssist and DMXZone. The former has been trending towards PHP and phasing out ASP and dot NET. The latter, I think, still supports the ASP's.

From the reports that I've read, it does seem that adding the server behaviors panel, along with the DB connection and bindings all work fine as if they never left. Adding back in the support for the various server-side scripting types has been more problematic, but I've gotten mine to work at least and I can still maintain the classic ASP sites. The panel works fine as before and displays all the server behaviors, both built in and third party. Editing or adding a new behavior brings up the various wizards as they should. Regarding the code that is generated, ASP is the same, but I can't speak to dot net. Unless Adobe reverses their position, I imagine that whatever version of the scripting language that is produced by the extension is where it will stop. After that, it's up to the extension providers to keep up.

I suppose if I were to head towards dot net, I would most likely start with DW for design and layout with CSS, VS Exp for server side, then back to DW for polishing, JS-based libraries for the AJAX and what not and navigation, SEO and just general site maintenance. Don't quote me on any of this, pure speculation, the workflow would likely vary. The obvious concerns would lie in overlapping functionality with the server side script being at the top of the list, but I suppose CSS may be a concern as well. IMO, DW has usually done a good job at reading a style sheet it didn't create, and accurately populating the various visual CSS dialogs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 12, 2013 Sep 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is so frustrating. am getting more and more annoyed with the quirks on CC.

i dont need the server behaviours etc for ASP - i just need DW to be able to open a new ASP file, and sbe able to save it... even that it wont do.

funny things is i seem to always have to tamper with the file extension xml file - with each new version that comes out... some things just never change...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2013 Sep 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We actually just released our DMXzone Database Connector! Now you can finally access your databases with very powerful new technology combining the easy data binding on your page with the HTML5 Data Binding extension and instant, but sophisticated Database Access!

A great replacement of the old server behaviors technology to create new dynamic web apps built the Ajax way!

The Database Connector features a great Database Connection Wizard, fully visual Query Builder to make your work a breeze.

It is available for PHP as well ASP

For PHP see http://www.dmxzone.com/go/22072/dmxzone-database-connector-php

for ASP : http://www.dmxzone.com/go/22084/dmxzone-database-connector-asp

You will also need the free HTML5 Data Bindings extension:

http://www.dmxzone.com/go/21863/html5-data-bindings

Welcome to the next chapter of Dreamweaver history - building dynamic, data oriented web apps in a new whole new way!

Greetings,

George Petrov

DMXzone.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is great, however we need to pay almost the same amount just for the plugins for ASP and PHP as the whole DW CC application, so where is the logic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to update this a bit and dispell the FUD, once you've installed the DW CC Deprecated Panel Support extension and assoicated .asp files with DW CC, there are no real problems. ASP files open by default in DW CC, ASP files show in the file manager window and behaviors work as always. The only thing missing is the new asp file option, but that's easily worked around by saving a blank page with the @LANGUAGE header intact and call it newfile.asp. Just open it when you need a new file and save as:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2014 Jun 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This is all that I needed, very easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved this adding ".asp" to the "open in dreamweaver" in the preferences, but also configuring the site server model as "asp vbscript".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not working. It says "You cannot use Adobe Dreamweaver CC as an external editor. Please choose a diferent application." Are you using PC or Mac. I am on a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this same error message when trying to add asp to the file types and programs. 

I'm also not able to install the ASP_JS_Support extentions after I converted it - See the original post for all these replies.  I receive this error:

ExtError.png

None of the suggestions in these posts have worked for me.  I have Adobe Design & Web Premium CS6 installed and the Adobe Creative Cloud.  We have deployed Dreamweaver ASP Templates over the last year and half, through out our place of business.  I still have the ability to edit asp templates and asp files by using Dreamweaver CS6, but Dreamweaver CC won't open them, it launches DW CS6. 

One of our departments purchased Dreamweaver CC and they can edit their website files with it or even open an ASP file.  We really need to get this to work for now.  Has anyone been able to get this to work? 

I'm using a MacBook Pro running 10.9 but the department that purchased Dreamweaver CC is running Windows 7 and there is No CS6 version installed. 

We need to figure out how to make this work or come up with a good work around. 

Has anyone got this to work? 

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2013 Dec 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've always been a big fan of Adobe, but just recently I'm absolutely disgusted by their attitude.

I manage a small team of developers working in education, and because of this we've been using CS3 for some years. There has never been a need to upgrade due to the fact that we are constantly building to older standards for accessibility reasons. So, a couple of weeks ago all of our Adobe software ceased to function due to the ridiculous licensing issue that has blighhted everybody who made the mistake of buying Adobe products through package deals (in our case Web Standard). Basically this means that having spent thousands on software (albeit a few years ago), we are now left with a product that won't work at all. I don't recall the licensing information at the time stating that it was a time limited purchase, and considering the amount of money we paid I think it would be reasonable to assume we could continue to use it until hell froze over if we wanted to.

Anyway, with lots of important projects on the go we are left with the option of paying a subscription for every member of the team to join CC, or purchasing CS6 which is prohibitively expensive and pointless given that it's already been superseded. Since we had no warning that all of our Adobe software was going to spontaneously stop working, our only option with deadlines looming was to install the CC trial whilst we look for a better solution. Having done that we now find that we can't work with any of the many ASP.net sites that we have created over the last ten years!

Honestly Adobe, how can you go from leading the market with industry standard tools to ripping off small organisations who have paid for your products? We're not the only people who can't afford to wake up on any given morning and without warning pay a Ā£5000 ransom so that we can replace purchased software that ran prefectly well the day before. To then find that the replacement software is not fit for purpose and is incapable of editing .net sites is just astonishing.

Adobe are now the kings of ransomware.

Zero out of ten for customer focus. This is an absolutely disgusting situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MinerWilly wrote:

So, a couple of weeks ago all of our Adobe software ceased to function due to the ridiculous licensing issue that has blighhted everybody who made the mistake of buying Adobe products through package deals (in our case Web Standard).

I'm not aware that any past Adobe package stopped working?

Really.....is this true?

I don't think anyone has mentioned it in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, most people using the older packaged versions of Adobe products (in our case Web Standard CS3) have now found that the packages refuse to open, quoting some generic license issue which Adobe customer support are unwilling to discuss.

I spent forty five minutes on hold, only to be put through to somebody who could barely speak English, and be told that Adobe no longer support CS3 so my only option was to subscribe to CC. Very poor form.

A quick Google search will show that there are thousands of people complaining about the same issue, and Adobe have offered no working solution. However, it's a bit OT for this thread I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MinerWilly wrote:

Yes, most people using the older packaged versions of Adobe products (in our case Web Standard CS3) have now found that the packages refuse to open, quoting some generic license issue which Adobe customer support are unwilling to discuss.

Blimey if that is the case then its totally unacceptable. I would think you would have some kind of legal case against Adobe. Never have I seen it mentioned that old packages would stop working, only that they would not be officially supported any longer on certain OS's.

Was it just the web packages affected as I have CS3 design standard package that still works.

MinerWilly wrote:

I spent forty five minutes on hold, only to be put through to somebody who could barely speak English, and be told that Adobe no longer support CS3 so my only option was to subscribe to CC. Very poor form.

Did you update to a different OS then it stopped working, because that's always been the official line - Adobe stops support for certain products on more recent OS's?

MinerWilly wrote:

A quick Google search will show that there are thousands of people complaining about the same issue, and Adobe have offered no working solution. However, it's a bit OT for this thread I guess.

As I say its not been mentioned to the point that it has drawn my attention in this forum UNTIL now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it does happen sometimes with an OS rebuild, but in our case we just came in one day and all the software that was working yesterday was not working today. I would think there is some kind of legal come back on this, although I'm not sure we would go down that path as a mere minnow.

Adobe CC was one option, but given that Dreamweaver won't support our many .net projects it feels like a double kick in the gonads.

For anybody who does have a working older version of the packages, I would warn that it's not a question of if, but a question of when this will happen to you.

The error message is along the lines of, "Licensing for this product has stopped working."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting about the programme stopping functionality. I have a Virtual Machine running XP and SQL server 2000 with a rather old version - Dreamweaver 8 (which was when Macromedia developed it) - and that works fine.

I too have not experienced any older version of DW not working anymore, all the older ones I have still work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MinerWilly (Manic Miner? šŸ˜‰ : have you tried these steps?

1. Goto "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe PCD\cache\"

2. Rename cache.db

3. start adobe programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2014 Mar 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't get that message for DW CS5.5, but I did see that type of message when images tried to open in FW 5.5, which I really wanted to open in FW CS6 and finally figured out how to make that happen. In the interim I learned that I could use Task Manager to close that message and then FW CS5.5 opened up and worked fine. I just realized today that my ASP pages did not update in CS6 when updating the attached template and I couldn't open the files, other than in code view. So I opened up DW CS5.5, updated the applicable .asp files and published. A little pain, but accomplished my goal. I have found many improvements with CS6 that make it worth it. It used to take forever to synch large sites, with timeouts and errors - today I was able to synch the entire site several times without any issues - saved me at least a couple of hours and a lot of frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 31, 2014 Mar 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, It seems that classic ASP is still in use a lot more than I thought. Even for new systems as well as maintaining "legacy" applications.

I'll admit that my reluctance was partly due to the work involved in learning a new programming language. I had spent a lot of time getting comfortable with and proficient with VBScript so then I had to do it all over again with something else. When proprosing a new project to client, we as developers do them and everyone else a disservice by reccommending a particular technology simply because it's what we know. I've been hired to clean up the mess that others have made because of this. Currently I'm wrestling with Drupal and Joomla. In both cases, I see no reason why these were chosen over a standard website, even database driven. They are not being used as CMSes and any plugins are basic. There is no shame in turning down or referring out work because you honestly think the best solution is one you can't currently provide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2015 Mar 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been a fan of Dreamweaver even before it was known as Dreamweaver. I started of with it when it was Drumbeat 2000.

The issue for us that are Web Developers vs the Web Designers is we have for many years had the use of Dreamweaver that has such simple features to add complex database interactions to ASP, CFM and PHP sites.

I have found it the absolute best product and I have developed several complex applications for use in corporate environments, all using Deamweaver. Companies like Interakt helped improve the functionality even further and the product was very robust in my opinion. Perhaps ASP and PHP and even Cold Fusion are not as robust as ASP.NET or even other options, but it worked and I was able to use the product with out having to be a OO based programmer. I dont know C, C++ or C# and I dont intend on going down that path 15 years later just so I can  create data driven applications, that I have previously created in Dreamweaver MX and 8 with absolute ease.

It feels like Adobe have decided to reinvent the wheel and go back to more of a coding environment with HTML5 and CSS as the main features of DW CC. I have evolved beyond coding and anyone who feels the need to handcode is wasting their time unless they are doing it for bigger systems like WordPress or Joomla or Drupal etc. handcoding individual applications or websites is too time intensive, unless those handcoders can tell me they are making $200k+ a year.

It is disappointing that I cant build my own apps in Dreamweaver as I once did. I used to have the options of ASP, ASP.NET, CFM, or PHP. I guess PHP is still in DW CC but I am not personally into PHP.

I do acknowledge that Microsoft has discontinued Classic ASP support years ago, but it still runs and is still of use in corporate environments where it can faciliate a business need and in alot of organisations, Windows Server is predominate and still can support ASP and ASP.NET. There is nothing limiting about ASP and MSSQL if you are a developer, it is very flexible and powerful. In fact I have rarely worked for organisations running anything else as the DB. I was even able to develop for Oracle databases using Dreamweaver.

To my current knowledge there is no equivalent to Dreamweaver 8 on the market. MS Visual Studio Web Designer is no where near as functional as what DW 8 was and is largely a coding tool. For true efficiency in Rapid application development, Dreamweaver was the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2015 Jun 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is now June 2015 !!

I have been reading these comments of some 2 years ago and did not realize my issues - no ASP support any longer - was resinating that long ago. I just upgraded to CC recently and I must say - really disappointed. It is so Lame. SO it supports HTML5 - big deal.

All the real power of Dreamweaver is gone. I am now looking for a replacement to Dreamweaver. There is more to web sites than Wordpress and alike. Bad move Adobe.!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pessoal, pra quem procura um substituto ao DW, vejam o novo Visual Studio Code que ainda nĆ£o estĆ” 100% terminado, mas Ć© bem funcional e tem muitas extensƵes. Trabalha com todo tipo de linguagem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2016 Jun 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When new version come to market, we expects more thing. The server side working is very important for developer, Dreamweaver moto is help to cover designers also. So they want to give more importance to server side scripts. But they really remove that options In Dreamweaver CC versions. I am really a starter in Dreamweaver, I am happy to work with that. They want to add server side scripting support to next future versions and also improve the keyframe animation stuff to easy. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2016 Jun 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver is a coding tool.  If you have the necessary coding skills, you can manually code whatever you need in DW. 

SERVER BEHAVIORS:

ASP Classic is no longer supported by Microsoft.  It was replaced in 2008 with ASP.net.  Today only 1 out of 20 websites still use ASP Classic scripts.  

If you work with PHP, Dreamweaver has excellent code hinting and auto-completion features.

The server behaviors were removed from DW in 2013 because the code is outdated and not secure.  It should not be used for current projects.   Old MySQL connections will fail to work on servers running PHP 7 or higher.

There are commercial extensions available for developers who need database bindings panels.  2 such products are available from Web Assist and DMX Zone.

It's very unlikely that DW will re-introduce database bindings panel because that burden has been picked up by the above extensions.

I would like to see better support for Keyframe animations, too.  Maybe in the next release.  We'll have to wait and see.

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Sheaā€” Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2016 Jun 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For css animations, check out the built in functionality of the Firefox browser:

Work with animations - Firefox Developer Tools | MDN

It does require some familiarity with css animation in general, but is a pretty useful tool once you get used to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines