• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

On Dreamweaver CC how do I get to the css rule definition box?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2013 Jun 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the other Dreamweavers when I wanted to edit a css, I selected the css and clicked on the pencil icon to open the css rule definition box.

The only way I find to get acess to the css rule definition box on the new CC is when I am creating a new div and then there is a option for a new style and it opens the box.

My question is how do I get to the box once the rule is created? the pencil icon is not there anymore.

Not good breaking workflows Adobe, some folks have work in progress...

Please help, thanks.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105870069/img/ask.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 23, 2013 Jun 23, 2013

The new CSS Designer in CC has a lot more features and has a different interface to that of the previous versions of DW.

To edit styles for a chosen selector, you need to first highlight the selector in the 'Selectors' panel. In your case, select '#wrapper' from Selectors panel first. Then, the 'Properties' panel below it will display all available customizations you can make to that selector.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2014 Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In short, those css inspector panes can work quite efficiently when you need to polish the css code.

For quick edits, sure.  But I don't rely on them much.  For majority of my CSS revisions, I use Firefox with the Web Developer Toolbar.  Same workflow as yours.  You can edit CSS in real time.  Copy & paste revised code into DW & save.

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I used to do - but the copying and pasting part just broke my workflow.

Are you aware of the style editor in FF's web developer tools? Very handy, since it allows you to change the css code in any of the css files, while it updates the screen instantly.

Tools->Web Developer->Style Editor.

Major selling point: you can save those changes, and the css style editor allows you to turn css style sheet on or off in a layer-like fashion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool!

N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want to hear something really weird? I do most of my CSS editing in chrome using the inspect feature or in Safari on a Mac. You can edit the CSS code right on the webpage using the inspect code tool, watch the changes, and then just copy and paste the entire CSS document into your original.

Most of my original CSS is written my hand, but the web inspector in chrome or Safari is a marvelous and handy tool to help you figure out where your CSS has gone wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick - I agree with you. The style editors in Safari, Chrome, Opera or FF are an indispensible tool for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2014 Jun 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, and Thank you, for the CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+P reply. I needed that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jon Fritz THANK YOU YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I upgraded to Dreamweaver CC only to be driven mad by the new Designer panel which is plain awful to use compared to CS6. That was the only issue that caused me to cancel and go back to CS6 since last year. I searched extensively about this before and just gave up as there were many complaints I found, but no solution. Decided to query it again today just to see if there were any updates, and found this thread with your solution.  I'm so happy.

Adobe needs to document this and make it a VISIBLE OPTION in the settings. They better not fully remove it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2015 Sep 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I have been looking everywhere for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2015 Feb 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh thank GOD that I found this post!!!

The new css properties editor is one of the WORST updates ever made to software since - the only thing I can think of that comes close is the change from windows 7 to windows 8 and the removal of the start menu.

Adobe -- BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL CSS EDITOR - we pay your wages with our subscriptions. If the original editor is ever removed - I will have to start looking for other software.

Thanks to Jon Fritz II! It's not 100% the same as in cs6 - but its close enough until Adobe fix their mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2015 Feb 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many people actually like the CSS Designer.  But I understand change is hard.  Don't hold your breath for a return to the old panels.  I'm afraid that ship has sailed... 

DW has excellent CSS code hinting features in Code View. Have you tried it?  I prefer to work directly with code because it's so much faster than editing in panels.

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 01, 2015 Sep 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Code View is the best way to edit or write CSS in Dreamweaver. It has been for a very long time. That said, the CSS Designer really sucks in terms of interface design. Actually, most Adobe interfaces tend to suck. There's a lot to be said for OS standard controls and UI elements, but I don't think Adobe gets that. The old CSS panel was a wicked-fast way to make quick changes. The CSS Designer is a leviathan and while David Powers claims it writes standard-based CSS I fear he is very wrong, or perhaps he doesn't care about verbose code 🙂 It sucks. So your answer of using code view is inarguably, the best answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2015 Aug 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Nancy

I think you are not telling the truth, find one person who likes it, just one. I think you have just been told to say what you said and have no idea just how upset everyone is

I hate what you have done, WordPress in moving forwards and you are moving backwards
Its all about simplicity and not making your clients jump through hoops

I just hope adobe still allow me to download CS6 (which I cant find on the cloud) or I will cancel my membership and buy the old software second hand

Very annoyed
Nick Ray Ball

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2015 Aug 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

N_Ray007 wrote:

To Nancy

I hate what you have done, WordPress in moving forwards and you are moving backwards
Its all about simplicity and not making your clients jump through hoops

This is a user-to-user forum. I don't work for Adobe.  I have no input in Adobe's decision making. I'm just a product user like you.

With rare exceptions, very few Adobe employees spend time on this user forum. Unless you see an Adobe Staff badge by the person's name, you are being helped by an unpaid volunteer.

If you want to drop back to CS6, log-in to your Creative Cloud desktop app. Click on Filters & Versions > Click on Previous Versions.  You should see a drop-down list of versions: CS6, CC 2014.1, CC 2015.

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 01, 2015 Sep 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There actually are a lot of people who like the CSS Designer. I would never hire any of them to write CSS, though . Nancy did provide the best answer, considering Adobe's lack of programming skills. And she is certainly not a spokesperson for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2016 Feb 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pressing Command + Option + Shift + P on my Mac used to work, but doesn't seem to any more. Very frustrating have to hard code for inline <> instead of using the CSS Rule dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark Stoneham wrote:

Pressing Command + Option + Shift + P on my Mac used to work, but doesn't seem to any more. Very frustrating have to hard code for inline <> instead of using the CSS Rule dialog box.

I am on a Windows machine not sure if this will work on Macs.

In Design view select the rule you want to change. On the Properties panel select the CSS button, then click Edit Rule, the old dialog box will pop-up

This is the only way I have found that makes this happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works on body, but not an inline style. Used to though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh My God !!!!!!!!!

What on earth have you done to dreamweaver. This new interface is not just a step backwards - its a running jump off a cliff backwards. I had to do a 10 minute fix and only had CC at hand. So it took hours - and thats with a lot of very smart people helping.

Who thought up this mess? Who allowed/insisted on these changes? Dont you ever watch real people using these products?

And as for the 'staff' who reply "read the manual" - are you kidding me? Has Adobe fallen so low its now comparable to a linux forum? Disgraceful!

Next time your car needs towing and your phonecall gets the same reply i'll laugh and laugh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines