Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OT: Bindings panel, Databases, and Server behaviors in Dreamweaver CC

LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

There was a query on the Dreamweaver Facebook page about using server behaviors in Dreamweaver going forward. The product team replied to the post, and I am posting it on this forum for the benefit of users not on our Facebook page.

In Dreamweaver cc release server behaviors will be available as an extension. Once you install the extension server behaviors feature will be enabled and extensions dependent on it will work as before. In the CC release, you can find the extension at the location

* Vista/Windows 7: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CC\Configuration\DisabledFeatures
* Mac OS X: /Applications/Adobe Dreamweaver CC/Configuration/DisabledFeatures

Additional documentation is available at

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/dreamweaver-cc-server-extensions.html

Also, check out this video created by Silas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB2vmNfcq7A

The Dreamweaver team has posted their view about the latest changes in Dreamweaver in their blog post  http://blogs.adobe.com/dreamweaver/2013/06/a-look-at-the-modernized-dreamweaver-cc.html

Thanks,

Preran

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2013 Sep 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm telling Adobe to remember what happened to Quark ten years ago… They were at the very top. They stoped listening to users, stoped developping, stop upgrading their product, and today, they're almost dead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree if you do a lot of databases, you now have to rely on other sources, now I see DMX offers an program to do it, but there again it is costing you more money for something that you had before. I am using dwcc right now but will be canceling and going back to dw cs6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using DMX extensions for a while.  They are mostly good, but incredibly quirky.  Just look at the huge amount of issues in their forums.  For example, if you use their lightbox extension, you have to manually relocate the code if you use any of their other extensions.  It takes them FOREVER to fix known bugs (look at PHP upload and the many bugs they have).  Things like they background color in their online html3 editor not using the background color you specify for it is truly annoying, but usable.  So here is another 3rd party extension we have to use (for $190).  If you use it, please save your work and back up your entire site frequently.  When you update an extension, it will sometimes upload corrupt versions of files.  You need to delete them, re-apply the extension, and then re-upload.  It is annoying,  but after a while you get used to it.

Their online support is EXCELLENT.. they are great at diagnosing issues and wonderfully adept at finding multiple work arounds.  Their help desk/support is the best of any company I have ever used. 

However, it does take them FOREVER to fix known issues.

What irks me is the cost, and the fact that we will have to pay more in the future for data aware forms and other behaviors.

Stick with CS6 for now, like I am.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that the depredacated (sp?) extensions are causing me issues.  When I add a behavior, it screws up my form.  Calling Adobe support gives me someone from the middle east that states the next level of support will call me back.  When?  This is getting more ridiculous every time they release another version!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2013 Sep 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spot on - My clients all want larger sites that need an extensive amount of server work. Been in the biz since the begining and adobe will drive off successful web shops. Hope they reverse thier desicion because I'm not looking forward to puttin together a new workflow with different, lesser programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2014 Mar 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you Steve Skinner...

Adobe has scrapped all of database features...and no option for us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my opinion the person in adobe that decided to decaprecate instead of upgrading database functionality should get FIRED!!!

We dont want to spend more money for functions that are SUPPOSE to be in dreamweaver, you guys are still are not listening to us, im already thinking on getting dreamweaver cs6 and cancel my cc and not upgrade until you guys listen to us!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I just canceled my dw cc membership, funny thing is they are offering free months if you stay, I informed them that when adobe gives the users what they want and need I will be glad to be back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good for you RJ_web! 

I figured out my DW Server Behavior issues.  It was my meta tags code.  I did not close one of them properly.  #FacePalm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jkbdks,

The product team has already posted its vision for DW in its blog post http://blogs.adobe.com/dreamweaver/2013/06/a-look-at-the-modernized-dreamweaver-cc.html. If you feel very strongly about having some of the previous features back, use the Adobe Wishlist Form https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=12 to log  your request.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no nice way to say it but stop fu.... dreamweaver for use that use it to make our own dynamic sites, wtf deprecated the only usefull thing about dreamweaver, if it doesnt come back then it is going to be useless im have used adobes products at the company i work with now im getting my own license with CC but stop stop stop, every update makes dreamweaver worse and worse bring back the dynamic features or ill have to not upgrade and look for another company even microsoft...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 25, 2013 Sep 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, now with the cloud version we have to spend more money for each extension installed, to work with the server bahaviors.

The first is DMXzone with DB Connector for $ 200,00 (it works only with dmxzone extensions)...

A "server bahavior" panel for each extension installed... but would be better to upgrade the old "server behavior" in Dreamweaver to the new standard? A unique "server behavior" panel for all the extentions?

I think that many Dreamweaver customers will continue to use DW CS6 with hosting plan configured with PHP 5.3 (or 5.2) again for many and many years...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2013 Nov 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a trial version of Dreamweaver CC. 

In learning how to build a dynamic site, the tutorial is needing me to get into panels that have been disabled in Dreamweaver CC.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/first_dynamic_site_pt1.html

I downloaded the "Extension Manager CC" and was following instructions for enabling these features.  Per your discussion.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1231011?tstart=0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB2vmNfcq7A

When I open the file Deprecated_ServerBehaviorsPanel_Support.zxp I get an extension manager error stating that it "requires DW 13 or later."  I am on version 13.

I did have an old version of DW running on my computer.  It has now been uninstalled.

I really need these features to complete the tutorial. Or an updated tutorial....  Or a better way to learn this in a self directed way. 

Suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or a better way to learn this in a self directed way. 

Suggestions?

Yup.  Get David Powers' book, "PHP Solutions: Dynamic Web Design Made Easy" 2nd Edition.

http://foundationphp.com/phpsolutions/

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will do that..... 

In the mean time how can I get the disabled functionality working????

This is really frustrating to have gotten so far into learning this only to find out that Dreamweaver CC does offer these services that previous versions had.

One more thought....  I have been using Dreamweaver MX for many years to run my static web-sites.  I like working with it, though it is considered obsolete.

I am now am planning to develop more sophisticated sites and plan to invest in a variety of software.  Using CC is a trial to see if staying with DW is right for me.  This experience right now will direct my decision weather to stay with Adobe or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a trial version of Dreamweaver CC. 

In learning how to build a dynamic site, the tutorial is needing me to get into panels that have been disabled in Dreamweaver CC.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/first_dynamic_site_pt 1.html

I downloaded the "Extension Manager CC" and was following instructions for enabling these features.  Per your discussion.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1231011?tstart=0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB2vmNfcq7A

When I open the file Deprecated_ServerBehaviorsPanel_Support.zxp I get an Extension Manager error stating that it "requires DW 13 or later."  I am on version 13.

What do I need to do to get these running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2014 Mar 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the hell you have done man?

You delete all of the database features without give us any alternative...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andoyo Andoyo wrote:

What the hell you have done man?

You delete all of the database features without give us any alternative...

Not sure if you're serious there. Here are some of the alternatives...

There's the legacy extension: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/dreamweaver-cc-server-extensions.html

DMXZone.com's Extensions: http://www.dmxzone.com/3/dreamweaver-extensions

The ability to install both DWCC and DWCS6 (which still has all the database stuff) if you are a CC subscriber: http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/download-previous-versions-creative-applications.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2014 Jul 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have been a team of developers since MM DW 1.0 - What an incredible product it has been to build a business upon.
This amplifies my feeling of total shock when discovering Adobe has dropped all Database capabilities!

Without being able to create data driven websites, I have no reason to use Adobe Dreamweaver any longer.

Honestly, I can't figure out why in the world Adobe would do such a thing? What are we now going to create that can't be done on a CMS with plugins?

I would continue to use my previous versions of Adobe products, however they will no longer validate the license. If you move to a new PC and need to re-install your adobe days are over, unless you move to their database inept cloud.

This change and their response clearly tells me not to entrust my business to Adobe.

I just nearly committed to a yearly agreement for CC - Now I know better not to get trapped in Adobe's cloud of confinement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You obviously didn't read this entire discussion.   Server behaviors are still available via an optional extension.  Use them at your own risk however as PHP recommends you stop using server-behaviors immediately.

QUESTION: Why were server-behaviors deprecated in CC? 

ANSWER:  Because they are old relics left over from the Macromedia days or yore.  Their usage is risky and PHP ver 5.5 (already available on many servers) will no longer support them.   In the not too distant future, old sites built with MySql data connections may stop working on newer servers.  To avoid this, you need to start using PDO (data objects) or MySqli (improved).  Or look at DMX Zone's Ajax behaviors.   Either way, times are changing and you as web developers need to keep pace with the modern web or risk being left behind.

Good luck!

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very professional response Nancy. I did read through the 69 posts and feel as many others do, this feature set was removed with nothing to replace it; MySQLi or PDO. If you're an advanced developer you would realize few of us are using DW canned behavior extensions, but instead are creating custom database interactions that utilize the DW connections and query panel. If Adobe wanted to move to the new style of connecting then where is the functionality to do so? Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not see it, nor can I find any information regarding it within their support/help forums. Custom coding these interactions defeats the purpose of paying for a Web dev application. Developers like us do keep up with the times and thus expect Adobe to do the same by offering emerging standards in the form of new functionality. Not removing the outgoing standards and saying.. well good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe certainly could have handled the whole thing better, but it's water under the bridge now.

Considering the lack of competition for products like Dreamweaver in the market, you might want to just take a look at extensions from places like DMXzone, WebAssist, and Dwzone before you decide to write off Adobe apps. They have clearly gone in a direction where they are leaving the advanced stuff to extension developers, and initially I was just as frustrated as Nordstrom sounds. However, considering Adobe's track record with updating server behaviors, it's probably not a bad thing that it's been left to extension developers. Even since the announcement that server behaviors would be deprecated, a lot has changed with available extensions.

I'm using DW CC 2014 and DW CS6, but honestly, I am using CS6 very little now. With the new extensions available, especially those built around HTML5 Data Bindings from DMXzone, they really are filling the void left by Adobe in the latest versions of Dreamweaver quite well. I'm not happy with the extra expense required to use all these new great extensions, but unless you know how to write all the code they create for you, the choices are limited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response Steve. There are many use cases for accessing a database via Dreamweaver and not all of them are to use third party behaviors, although WA and DMX do a fine job in this arena. What puzzles me is the why? Okay, dump the behaviors if you must, but would it be so hard to have created a simple DB connection feature with a SQl query editor and a field selector? From a workflow perspective that makes a lot of sense to me. Has Adobe admitted defeat in that CMS, with their ultra low cost, quick to implement Themes and Plugins have taken their dev market away and thus are now slowly ejecting the high end development features and becoming a high end design editor? I fully understand there are numerous designers that will not miss the DB interactivity and enjoy the new design specific workflow, however is there that much overhead in providing DB features to help devs get their job done in one place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2014 Aug 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After spending several days investigating how to connect with DMXzones replacement for database connections and for databindings I have found  NO tutorials on this subject and much of the information on their website is simply a repeat of the advertising. Rather than Slam Adobe and DMX for attempting to move forward... I'd like to get some help on this ... Is there a GOOD tutorial that will walk through the steps to connect to a database, link to data, and create and use forms with the "modernized" dreamweaver cc14? What is client side form validation and how do I get this to work? As well as the requirements to establish the connection, possible problems, troubleshooting tips, etc. I've created several websites but I have not learned how to connect a database. In the middle of lynda.com course on connecting to PHP and MYSQL databases I discovered that the course is now OBE and many of the features have to be purchased from DMXzone (I really appreciated that adobe -(note the tone of sarcasm)). Since I am forced to purchase these to move forward I purchased the one year package. (I am sure there is a happy marketer for that one) (Brailliant!!(more sarcasm)). I downloaded what appeared to be what I needed and looked for a good tutorial on how to use them..... And now I am here since there does not appear to be any good tutorials.

Did I need to buy the DMXzone packages (<$400) to upgrade the $600 yearly Adobe S/W package? Are there any good tutorials? Do the DMXzone packages actually work with Dreamweaver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 12, 2014 Aug 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Red,

The DMXzone tools actually do work really well once you figure them out - better even than the old DW server behaviors. Still, the learning curve and the extra expense is hard to get over. Each of the DMXzone extensions has a dedicated feature which you need to learn. While it really isn't difficult, it does take a lot of time because the methods for building data driven pages is very different than it was before.

I'm not a fan of the subscription model with DMXzone. While it has the appearance of saving you money, you'll actually spend far more in the long run, and worse yet, if you cancel your subscription, you will lose the ability to use all those extensions for work you've done. Your only option would then be to re-subscribe, or purchase the extension individually, which you could have done in the first place and been done with it.

DMXzone not only has good written tutorials and manuals on everything, but they also have good instructional videos. They do a very nice job of updating that info too. Forget Lynda or any third party. DMXzone has all the instructional and support information you need, and the support forums are actively read and responded to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines