• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OT: Latest Ransomware Cyber Attacks

Community Expert ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a reminder to everyone on Windows.  Make sure you have good data backups in remote locations and the very latest updates for your Windows OS and antivirus software.   

Cyberattack hit more than 100,000 groups in at least 150 countries, Europol says - CBS News

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way that attack will work is when someone actually clicks to open the file attached to a spoof email. Don't trust any email from anyone with a strange attachment and contents.

But yes, back up your important files on an exernal drive (that is disconnected while working) and/or online data backup. But this ought to be done regardless of the current ransomware scare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not certain who to be annoyed at when i heard about the attack, the hacker or the managment of the companies affected. Yes, i feel sorry for those private individuals who have the problem, but as the attack was computers using  windows xp, or people who have not patched the os for months, my sympathy for those individuals is also reduced.

Companies still using windows xp, and paying the executives large bonuses, i have no understand for, as it shows an obvious lack of Interest and concern for their clients. If i were to go on holiday for months, leave my front door open, then i should not be surprised if my possesions are stolen, even the police and insurance companies would in such a situation hold me responsible, and that is what the managment of the companies and buisnesses affected have done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed 100%.  It's irresponsible to neglect backing up data and performing regular updates.  But one has to wonder how long this malware sat idle before it erupted.  I'm guessing the infection began many months ago.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you belive that even windows defender, included a detection for the malware that is causing the problem over 6 months ago.

Every time i hear about such problems, i think more and more, that the people running and managing computer systems have no idea about basic security. I suppose it's like browsers, many users don't update until something happens, and then complain that no one told them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Companies still using windows xp, and paying the executives large bonuses, i have no understand for

Hard to believe, but sometimes there is a good reason for a company to be based on XP. My son works with aviation design software that only runs on Windows XP. It's a multi-billion dollar company that operates on XP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've worked with and for, BAe, Lockhead, fairchilds, MBB, Dornier, Boeing and with component manufacturers over the years Rob, and never once found a reason that the computers that have to run legacy software, due to special purposes such as machining and testing have to be connected to the internet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just pointing out that there are reasons why some companies still use XP. So when this is the case, employees may have to run XP on their personal laptops.

We don't know why all these companies that were infected by this ransomware virus were not better prepared. I don't think it's fair to assume their sys admins are all lazy idiots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not system admins, or members of IT departments that I'm complaining about, it's managment.

I'm sure you have seen it yourself, when managment will not spend the money required, and go for the cheap option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Govt agencies often have no budget for changes until things get critical.   By then the damage has been done and everyone screams "why wasn't this improved?!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not system admins, or members of IT departments that I'm complaining about, it's managment.

I'm sure you have seen it yourself, when managment will not spend the money required, and go for the cheap option.

I absolutely agree with you on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's so annoying that we can no longer edit posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can edit posts from the main discussion.  Win10, latest Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I'm also using the latest Firefox on Win10, but for about a week I have not been able to edit posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try clearing Cache and Cookies.  It may put you on a different JIVE node (fingers crossed). 

Suffice it to say, JIVE has been having problems they cannot identify....

Re: Anyone else having problems editing replies?

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines