• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OT: Web designer website: White or Black background?

Engaged ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am redesigning my logo as well as my website and was thinking of going with a black (or near-black) background. It seems that black backgrounds are more suitable for design- or arts=related sites, even if they make reading a bit more difficult and can feel a bit oppressive. I have also noticed that all photography looks better with a dark background and this is of course vital for showing off your portfolio.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And dark background websites invariably appear more "interesting" than white background websites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's all very subjective.  Right now, my eyes prefer light text on dark background because it's easier to read. Others will have a very different opinion.   If you look on Adobe Portfolio or Behance, you'll see some portfolios on light ground and others on dark.  It varies.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

paulk7737514  wrote

And dark background websites invariably appear more "interesting" than white background websites.

Quality of images make a website, regardless of if you have a black or white background, personally I prefer white or light grey as it feels more classy than black, which can feel overpowering or oppressive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a situation where I did a clean site for a used car dealership and the dealer also decided to advertise on a large used cars website. Although the (non-professional) vehicle photography was identical on both sites, it looked far better on the black background site than it did on mine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

paulk7737514  wrote

I had a situation where I did a clean site for a used car dealership and the dealer also decided to advertise on a large used cars website. Although the (non-professional) vehicle photography was identical on both sites, it looked far better on the black background site than it did on mine!

Design and color schemes will always be subject to personal opnions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on content and your target merket.

I rarely enjoy, or spend much time, reading light text on a black background, but color photography looks nice on black to me.

Either way, white or black, both can be used well or poorly, depending on the remainder of the design.

Keep in mind though, if you depend on your site to bring your customers to you, it's no longer about "what you like" in a design. Many, many designers fall into that trap...

"I'm a designer, so I know what looks good and how things should be. I like black and red and dynamic, sharp swooshes..."

"Well, I'm your target demographic and your website looks like you're trying to recruit me for a satanic ritual, no thanks."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you care to provide a link to your website or are you too embarrassed to post it? At the current moment your website background is invisible to the eyes of the forum users whose opinion you're asking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe it's not done yet and he's just bouncing around some ideas.   Haven't you ever done that?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines