• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OT: Why do people cling to outdated web authoring software long beyond it's shelf-life?

Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the risk of "soapboxing," let me just say that I'm thoroughly astounded by how many people are still attempting to use 10+ year old web authoring software in 2021.  Don't they know that the web is constantly & swiftly changing to help make the web a better place for everyone? 

Is it plain recklessness, blind ignorance, poverty or an unwillingness to accept change?  I don't know and frankly I don't care. There is no excuse for using obsolete web software.  There are plenty of viable alternatives available. 

Long ago, I stopped worrying about users of obsolete web browsers.  If someone can't upgrade to a modern web browser, that's their cross to bear; not mine.

Likewise, I feel the clock has run out on users of legacy Macromedia and Creative Suite products.  It's time to upgrade or step aside and let someone else with more web experience handle these projects now. 

My new mission is to stop coddling legacy product users.  Henceforth, I will do my utmost to get them "off the crack pipe" and onto more sensible solutions.  I don't expect to be thanked or congratulated.  Nor do I plan to win any popularity contests.  I'm doing this because the web is rife with bad players and it's the right thing to do.

Thanks for listening.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media
TOPICS
Other

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They can actually be the worst. 

Bigger companies can fall into the trap of having a process so out dated that it is a nightmare to change even if new team leads / devs want too.

You have to keep up with things, outlay time to look for improvements in the systems and workflows. You got to make your own calls on how a company moves on. When to use CSS Grid for example knowing the compatability or simple fact that its still not set its feet firmly down. A good example was all the short falls and the udpates with sub grids introduced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines