• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PayPal Buttons

Participant ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone tell me how to change the Check out on my website to include a 10% discount to the total that is in the cart. (I use PayPal buttons only). That would automatically discount everything in the cart and then add tax and shipping to that total.

Technical support on PayPal is a joke and I have read countless articles this morning but am getting no where!

I would even be willing to reprogram every button (sigh) but they are not editable, as far as modifing the code from the Home page of PayPal

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Did you try the KB article from my original link that shows you how to add to a button?  If that isn't working then unfortunately you will either need to make a special product for your discounted amount so no discounting needs to be applied, get in touch with their support or for the longer-term look to other options for payment gateways.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-create-a-discount-code-or-coupon-code-for-my-pa...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From their page: PayPal doesn't support discount codes or coupons, but you can offer customers discounts by using a third-party shopping cart that supports a discount feature and works with PayPal. https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-create-a-discount-code-or-coupon-code-for-my-pa...

Basically they are recommending that you use a third party cart and then discount to Paypal as the easiest solution.  That page also has a link to help you set an amount manually on a button to change the price to your discounted rate.

What cart software are using?  Have you tried reaching out to them for a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ben for your response.

I am not using any cart software. Only PayPal. No 3rd party apps...Pay Now and Buy Now thru PayPAl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Pay Now' and 'Buy Now' are stand-alone buttons created via the Pay-Pal User interface. As far as I know they are not cart based just single buttons with prices associated with them. If you want a cart based solution you would have to use the Pay-Pal cart option but I dont know if it has any options to set for discounts, or a thrid party cart .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a Dreamweaver question.  It's a shopping cart limitation.

aSecureCart is an affordable PCI compliant shopping cart that supports discounts and much more.  It's compatible with various payment gateways including PayPal, AuthorizeNet and others.  You can try it free for 30 days.

https://www.asecurecart.net/main/gateways.aspx

https://www.asecurecart.net/

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry...I didn't know where else to get any support...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You  don't need to apologise ...

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I mean is this can't be fixed from Dreamweaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its perfectly ok to ask questions in the forum unrelated to Dreamweaver as thats only a small part of the bigger picture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not use PayPal anymore, I use Stripe instead. Much cheaper and far more versatile.

But to answer your question, have you tried supplying the discounted price to the PayPal button. This is what an e-commerce package would do.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the KB article from my original link that shows you how to add to a button?  If that isn't working then unfortunately you will either need to make a special product for your discounted amount so no discounting needs to be applied, get in touch with their support or for the longer-term look to other options for payment gateways.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-create-a-discount-code-or-coupon-code-for-my-pa...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try but got stuck at Step 7. I was not able to uncheck the box to make the code editable. I am uncertain as to how to get/set up a payment gateway and have no clue as to how to use cookies. I appreciate your time and input and my next ste will be to investigate Stripe! Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did apply the price to the button, that was the work around.

I am looking into building a cart within Dreamweaver. Do you think that would integrate with PayPal and work?

MaryAnn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any cart will work with Paypal but unless you are familiar with coding and how PayPal requires you to provide it with the specific data it needs l wouldn't advice you try and do it yourself. It might be easier to deploy a third party cart which should make the process easier or use the PayPal cart option but as mentioned l don't know if that has options to add discounts etc

When you say you applied the price to the PayPal button hopefully you did that through the UI so the price is not viewable in your button code. If you applied it in a hidden field directly on the button it can easily be changed by anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking into building a cart within Dreamweaver.

==========

@maryanns50585047 

That's a bad idea.  It's like saying, "Gee, I think I'm going to perform brain surgery today!"   No, you're not.  You don't know the first thing about it.  

You need a safe and secure 3rd party shopping cart built by professionals who understand what the payment card industry requires. This is no small matter.  Identity theft, payment fraud and transaction encryption are just 3 basic reasons why you can't do this yourself.   Sorry.

Keep using PayPal if it suits your needs or switch to another shopping cart:  I suggested aSecureCart.net.  Ben P suggested Stripe.  And there are counteless others you could use. 

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking into building a cart within Dreamweaver.

==========

@maryanns50585047 

That's a bad idea.  It's like saying, "Gee, I think I'm going to perform brain surgery today!"   No, you're not.  You don't know the first thing about it.  

You need a safe and secure 3rd party shopping cart built by professionals who understand what the payment card industry requires. This is no small matter.  Identity theft, payment fraud and transaction encryption are just 3 basic reasons why you can't do this yourself.   Sorry.

By @Nancy OShea

OP wants to integrate the cart with PayPal so it NOT a bad idea ALL the security is taken care of on the Paypal website. 

Its a bad idea if you don't know the process of getting the product/prices information to PayPal in the format which is required and you should really use a server-side workflow or encrypted buttons so no-one can change the prices on your website then send the information to Paypal.

If its a small company or individual selling and ONLY the owner is processing the orders its of little concern as you will CHECK the order against the money received before distributing the goods BUT its a very bad idea for digital products as that is just usually an automated process, its critcal in those circumstances or if you are leaving the ordering/distributing process to someone else to use either an encrypted Paypal button or server-side processing, rather than client-side processing.

In the circumstances where you are not knowledgeable enough its best to use a third party cart which has Paypal integration as an option and uses a server-side workflow, so you need to do your homework before buying into a sub-standard process, some carts may still use the old open-exposed Paypal form directly on the website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know how to integrate a PayPal API into a website. But I think this is way over the OP's pay grade, don't you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You know how to integrate a PayPal API into a website. But I think this is way over the OP's pay grade, don't you?

By @Nancy OShea

Yes, absolutely, that's why I said its probably best to use a good third party cart.

Paypal, beyond the single encrypted 'buy now' buttons or its simple cart implementation will be difficult to deploy for many, even those who are knowledgeable, because you should be using the server-side workflow which is another level of difficulty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines