• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please help, Why is Dreamweaver the slowest application ever made.

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2019 Jun 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize that claim is rather lofty, but after getting behind on project after project, and used alternatives, I just keep trying dreamweaver time and time again, and It is seriously as if the application is 32bit, and it stalls unresponsive for up to 11 minutes trying to change script to /script up the smallest gesture. You can forget any design view or to even accidentally hit the design view button I have to turn to force quit and possible loss of my work.

I have read about other people saying this program is slow and it looks like there is no remedy. If there is I haven't read of one that has worked for me. I have a 4k iMac with 16gb ram and I use my apps on the ssd, and load all project on external drive usually. But I have tried this with and without drives plugged in, with the internet off.  It is the program. The one time it almost seemed like it was working was when I made another user and began using the application under the new user I created, but within 15 minutes it was the same, so maybe it was a fluke that it seemed to be working at a normal pace.

I would love help on this, cause I use to love dreamweaver and now I am just in search of anything, and have been using espresso instead.

Thanks

Alan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2019 Jun 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not my experience.  DW is just a glorified code editor.  If used correctly, it doesn't take up any more resources than any other code editor.  That said, my code is error free meaning I validate regularly and fix reported errors before they become problems.   I always keep my local site files on the primary hard drive  with backups on externals.  Sleep mode is disabled.  I never use (local & remote) file synchronization.   And all non-essential preference features are disabled.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2019 Jun 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

from my experience, I have another feedback than yours....

I would say like the OP that Dreamweaver is incredibly slow, and becomes unusable in production... at least in its CC version... on my side I had to regress to DW CS6.... only to benefit from the organization in project management and general user interface

on the code and FTP side (which is also incredibly slow) I had to switch to Sublime Text (as a code editor) + SFTP extension ($30), and this is by far faster...

for information and comparison DW and ST work under the same conditions and configuration.... ST > DW (by far)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it's a Mac thing.

I'm on Windows 10 and have not experienced any latency issues with the latest version of DW 2019.  Previous versions did cause a few pain points but nothing so serious that I couldn't use DW in production.

I should also mention that I do not have real-time anti-virus scanning of local site files or real-time file backups occurring during work hours as both of those processes are known to bring things to a crawl.   Since I don't work in a collaborative setting, I'm not currently using Git for version control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well you're lucky...

I can't use DW in production, except CS6.

well here at the office we nned to use a NAS to share work and files, perhaps this explain that... but it is unthinkable for us to work differently.

we try ultra suite for ultra compare and ultra find and ultra ftp for their abilities, and that work like a charm, sublime text for code editor exactly the same work like a charm... sftp extension for ST idem... DW slow down everything... FTP DW is a nightmare and finaly FTP live view... unthinkable compare to real load from node.

I don't know what to say ? you're lucky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not the only "lucky" person.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows 10 and especially since CC 2017 I've found a lot of frustrating perfomance issues and glitches since the old native code editor was ditched in favour of Brackets which IMO humble opinion was a disater

I would say to the OP, turn everything OFF in Dreamweaver preferences and site settings that may affect performance that isn't critical to your worklflow, there are quite a few posts here on the forums that can help you ...

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you think these performance losses are related to the addition of bracket?

you say to disable anything that could affect performance. What, for example?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines