Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

pseudo element

Enthusiast ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I want to add the pdf icon next to "Writing 1".

I wrote

.col1 .line1 a::after {

content: '\f1c1';

font-family: 'Font Awesome 5 Free';

font-size: 16px;

font-weight: 400;

}

But it doesn't work.

I added in <head>

<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://use.fontawesome.com/releases/v5.8.1/css/all.css" integrity="sha384-50oBUHEmvpQ+1lW4y57PTFmhCaXp0ML5d60M1M7uH2+nqUivzIebhndOJK28anvf" crossorigin="anonymous">

But two icons in <header> don't work.

How would I do?

Global Invisible Hand

Hosun Kang

Q_Dw_48_pdf.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

If l remember correctly you have the font awesome  4 css library linked to your page not font awesome 5. I would just insert the tag much like you did for the Twitter icon using the font awesome 4 class for the pdf icon, which can be found by Googling font awesome 4 and then searching the icons on the website

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If l remember correctly you have the font awesome  4 css library linked to your page not font awesome 5. I would just insert the tag much like you did for the Twitter icon using the font awesome 4 class for the pdf icon, which can be found by Googling font awesome 4 and then searching the icons on the website

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with osgood.  Keep this simple.  Use the <i> tag as you did before with Twitter and e-mail icons. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possibility why the code doesnt work could be that the pdf icon is classified as a brand in v5

Font Awesome 5 Brand instead of Font Awesome 5 Free however l couldnt check that or if the unicode was correct because the icon page on the awesome webpage doesnt work in andriod, just shows a blank page.

Either way l would stick to one workflow 4 or 5 and one implementation tag or css.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What's the difference between the two links to fontawesome?

<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/font-awesome/4.7.0/css/font-awesome.min.css">

<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://use.fontawesome.com/releases/v5.6.3/css/all.css" integrity="sha384-UHRtZLI+pbxtHCWp1t77Bi1L4ZtiqrqD80Kn4Z8NTSRyMA2Fd33n5dQ8lWUE00s/" crossorigin="anonymous">

Hosun Kang

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first one is version 4.7 and the second one is version 5.6 with integrity checks.   Use only 1 Font Awesome library --- usually the latest one.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that you should refine the style rules somewhat. Have a look at the following CSS

.pdf:after {

font-family: FontAwesome;

content: "\00a0\f1c1";

padding-left: 4px;

}

The markup will look like:

<p class="pdf">Writing 1</p>

The end result:

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case you want to link to a PDF file, the following may be of more interest:

a[href$=".pdf"]:after {

font-family: FontAwesome;

content: "\00a0\f1c1";

padding-left: 4px;

}

The markup:

<a href="writing_1.pdf">Writing 1</a>

The result:

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just tested your original code using font-awesome 5 using your page code/links/css and it works for me, the pdf icon shows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines