• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SIte ignores style and image folders after upgrading Mac and app

Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I maintain a simple Dreamweaver site made by someone else quite a few years ago - I'm a graphic designer rather than a web designer but understand the very basics of code. I recently got a new Mac with a new OS, and reinstalled all the Adobe apps. When I went to update the website the local files (stored on Dropbox) opened blank and I had to download them from the live site - they looked unstyled but the design view never looks right anyway so I went ahead and updated in the code view as normal. Uploaded and all looked OK on my Mac and iphone. But someone else let me know that lots looked wrong on their various devices and browsers and I looked in an incognito window on my Mac and the style sheet wasn't being applied and all the new images weren't showing. Updated text was correct. I checked that the new images had gone into the image folder and that the stylesheet was in the styles folder, and that the paths were correct in the HTML. Older images which did show live were in the same images folder with the same paths. I also checked in the folders on the host server. The bodge I have done for now is to put the stylesheet and images in the same folder (public_html) as the HTML files and delete the folder names in the code and this works - but I would like to knwo what happened and whether I can restore the folders as the single folder I have now is a bit of a jumble sale. I assume it must be to do with something new in either the version of DW I downloaded (though it is 2021 and I always keep my Adobe programmes up to date) or the new Mac (mac mini with Ventura 13.6.1)?  Any ideas most welcome!

TOPICS
Error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgrading your computer would not cause stylesheets to become disconnected. There is a known issue causing DW to crash on new Macs (Sonoma OS) with right clicking in code view, but that is about as much as I am aware of. But it sounds like your Mac is not on Sonoma so that should not impact you.

Can you please share a link to the page in question? The issue you are facing lies in the code and that is the only way we will be able to diagnose and help with your issue.

As far as restoring folders as the files are not local to your computer and are on Dropbox, there is version history. Since this change took place recently you should be able to restore the remote files following these instructions ( https://help.dropbox.com/delete-restore/version-history-overview ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. The site is crowthorneorchestra.com - yesterday I altered the code on the index page to delete the folder name on the style sheet and image paths (for new images) but I haven’t changed code on any other pages yet though they all have lost their links to the style sheet. On crowthorneorchestra.com/concerts which I updated on Sunday you can also see the link to the top picture Christmas234webS.jpg is not showing though the pictures below (which are in the same folder but posted on the old Mac some time ago) are fine. Same on the page /previousconcerts also updated on Sunday. I didn’t update any other pages so they are ok except for missing stylesheets and images in top bar.
I was going to change the code on the other pages to delete folders but I’ll wait a bit in case this can be solved and retain folders. At least the home page looks ok!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you moved all the images and stylesheets and re-did the structure that is what is breaking the other pages. They are all referencing a folder for images that doesn't exist.

So you are going to be left with 2 options here. Personally, I would move the images to put them back in the images folder and move the stylesheet back to the styles folder. Then update the homepage references. There would be no further updates on the other pages at that point as they should pick up everything as if they never left. Alternatively if you are trying to keep the new structure then you will have to update all file paths for images and stylesheets on the other pages to reflect the change in your site structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - actually I made copies of the stylesheet and images so they are still in their folders as well, so the paths should work from the other pages. I don't understand why some images show from the same folder and path and others don't - specifically the ones I uploaded on Sunday? The only way I can get them to load  is if they are in the same folder as the HTML And I have never moved the style sheets or changed the paths since the site was built and yet it seems that they coudl no longer find them? I don't want the new structure because it is like a jumble sale in the folder, but if it's the only way to get the site to work properly I will have to! Thanks again for your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - actually I made copies of the stylesheet and images so they are still in their folders as well, so the paths should work from the other pages. I don't understand why some images show from the same folder and path and others don't - specifically the ones I uploaded on Sunday? The only way I can get them to load  is if they are in the same folder as the HTML And I have never moved the style sheets or changed the paths since the site was built and yet it seems that they coudl no longer find them? I don't want the new structure because it is like a jumble sale in the folder, but if it's the only way to get the site to work properly I will have to! Thanks again for your advice.

By @hillyb173062

From what I can see on your live site all things linked from the folder are broken. I don't think this is a permissions issue, but if the folder does exist it could be. Can you verify what the permissions are on the folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where would I see permissions please? Some of the images in the folder are showing so I don’t think it’s a blanket change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally I would download a 3rd party FTP app like Filezilla and look it up there. It's usually easier to work in that then DW. Alternatively if your host has a web interface for viewing the files/folder structure you can typically view permissions there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I looked on the host and both the folders in question are maked 0755 which I beleive is correct? I noticed that the styles one was last modified in 2010! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This site has some problems.

1.  It's hosted on a secure server which is good (https://crowthorneorchestra.com/)  but the server doesn't force other traffic coming to HTTP or WWW to redirect to HTTPS as it should.  This can be resolved at the server level.  Contact your hosting provider for details on how to do that. 

2. You have two links to stylesheets.  The first one is this:

<link href="crowthornestyles.css"

And below that, you have this:

<link href="styles/crowthornestyles.css"

But when I look for that asset here https://crowthorneorchestra.com/styles/crowthornestyles.css I get a 404 ERROR (FILE NOT FOUND). 😓

3.  Code Validation Errors:  there are too many. 

https://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=https%3A%2F%2Fcrowthorneorchestra.com%2F

4.  The Xhtml code and content are showing the site's advanced age and should be rebuilt to modern HTML5 standards.  Also this site is not responsive.  It doesn't perform well on mobile & tablet devices which most Internet users have.  I would rebuild it with Bootstrap's mobile-first framework.  That's the simplest way to update the code and layout. 

CODE TUTORIALS -
- https://www.w3schools.com/html/
- https://www.w3schools.com/css/
- https://www.w3schools.com/js/

- https://www.w3schools.com/bootstrap/

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2023 Dec 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I tried to reply when you posted but I got an error message that the mailbox was full. I apprecuiate the links - not sure I have the skils or time to rebuild the site but I will have a look at Bootstrap! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2023 Dec 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still struggling with this. Adobe contacted me and put me in touch with one of their support people on Thursday, and he told me to go through each page and relink all the images. I did that - found the link checker and went through that - it showed a lot on a couple of pages but now says no broken links site-wide (well just a couple on old and disconnected pages). It is still not showing the style sheets (which I relinked from the link checker) and the pics on the top bar and some of the newer images I uploaded.  I understand that the site is not responsive and very old but I would love to get it working as it was til a few weeks ago while I try to learn Bootstrap. I have read everything I can and understand there might be a problem with having the local files on Dropbox so I have downloaded the site to my hard drive and changed the site spec for local files and images folder. I opened all the html and re-uploaded them with their dependent files to the remote server. I'm a graphic designer not a web coder so I am out of ideas... anyone got anything else I can try please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure your images are where they say they are?

For instance the tbflute.jpg image should be in your 'images' folder on the remote server

images/tbflute.jpg

The formalorchestra.jpg is showing ok and that is  in the same folder as the tbflute.jpg:

images/formalorchestra.jpg

Your server is not giving a 404 error page, which it would generally if the images were not found. What color space are the images that are not showing using? Can you open the formalorchestra.jpg image and check then open the tbflute.jpg image and see what the difference is?

Also check that the image name is EXACTLY the same as the link i.e., it must be - tbflute.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Yes the tbflute.jpg is in the images folder on the remote server - I have avoided typing so as not to make errors, and hoped that by working through the broken links list and relinking via browsing I could make sure the paths were all exactly as the file names. It makes no sense at all - if the path is correct then the image should show? And as you say some in the same folder show while others don't. I am trying to look on ingonito windows as it all looks OK in Dreamweaver when you look at Real Time Preview. I wondered if the template was over-riding though I don't think it's been touched for years. I just can't work out what changed with my new Mac/reinstalling Dreamweaver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe something funny is happening in the background. I've personally never seen a server set up like it. If a file or image is not available on your crowethorneorchestra.com domain address I get whisk away to  templates.doteasy.com, which shows the 404 error page............thats just a plain 'ugly' solution. The 404 error page, in a good server set up, should always remain on the same domain address. 

If the images which are NOT showing are of the correct color space and they ARE in the correct folder then I can only think it may be the 'goofy' server set up, which is causing the issue, it might just be too 'complex' for its own good.

Of course if you had another remote server to test on it could be confirmed its either the current server set up or mis-configured links, etc which is the problem.

I always have multiple remote servers available to test on because its all too easy for these hosting companies to say 'nothing to do with us'. If you can prove its working on another server they usually intervene and do something about it.

You could try changing the images name and the link to:

tbflute_1.jpg

Reupload the newly named image and the page in which you changed the link and see if the server then picks it up..........sometimes that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this! I inherited the web host - never used them before - and someone else built the website so I usually just go in and change the content in the code of Dreamweaver. That is sort of the limit of my knowledge too! Bit of a nightmare really. I am desperately trying to learn Bootstrap so I can at least put a rudimentary site together over Christmas before we start selling tickets in earnest in January! I could try to upload the site to a host which we used to use for our company to see if it works there - not entirely sure how I'd do that while the domain is at dotEasy. I don't think anyone likes DotEasy! The person who set that up is long gone from the orchestra. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could try to upload the site to a host which we used to use for our company to see if it works there - not entirely sure how I'd do that while the domain is at dotEasy.

By @hillyb173062

You can test by just creating a folder on your company website and name it crowthorneorchestra then add all the files/folders and assets to that folder using the EXACT file/folder structure which is inside your current crowthorneorchestra folder, or what ever you have named that.

Then go to your companies website address in a browser and just add /crowthorneorchestra at the end.

The browser will find the index.html file as the starting point of the website. If it looks good then all the files and assets are correct and it would indicate a server issue is responsible for it not appearing correctly on the doteasy server. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah thank you - that's really helpful! I will try that tomorrow. It may be a coincidence that this happened when I got the new Mac - easy to think that was the issue. If it's dotEasy I will see if the orchestra is prepared to change hosts - it's only the website and a few forwarded emails so shouldn't be too big a deal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just some further information:

When I download the tbhorn.jpg from your website it tells me the file can't be opened because its empty...............can you open the local version (on your machine) in an image editor? 

If you can..........maybe try resaving using the RGB color space (rather than CYMK used in printing) and re-uploading it to the doteasy server as it seems some corruption has taken place somewhere, maybe in the upload process. I'm thinking now the image files, those that dont show, are corrupt and its not the server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh goodness - that would explain a lot! I'll try opening it in photoshop. It certainly shouldn't be CMYK! Its amazing this site hasn't fallen over before! 

if anyone has recommendations for a source of good quality Bootstrap templates I think that'd be safest for the new site. But I'd love to get this one back online meanwhile to take the pressure of me! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've opemed the image in Photoshop and it's OK - RGB too - from the local folder. I found something under "file" in DW which offered to open the image in a browser when selected on the remote site - not sure how else to test that? Opened OK. 

Just read someone else's sudden change of website behaviour problem which was solved by deleting the preferences - is this worth a go here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just read someone else's sudden change of website behaviour problem which was solved by deleting the preferences - is this worth a go here?

By @hillyb173062

No.

As @osgood_  has already stated, the image file do not contain any content. Open the local image files in your computer to see if they show up as intended.

If that is the case, try uploading the images using Filezilla. Make sure that the image files are not too big. Take this image as an example:

BenPleysier_1-1702858397939.png

1.0 MB is far too big. It should be no larger than about 200 kB.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - yes they open perfectly in photoshop from the local folder, as I mentioned above I'm not sure how to test the ones on the remote server but I selected one and chose "open in browser" which was fine. The files are tiny - a few kb  -  the person who built the site knew what she was doing, it's just a long time ago! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of JPEG images, try using WEBP format instead and do resize them to fit the website. Eg: no bigger than 500px in width.

For more, see https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/support-webp-image-format.html

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made some progress - hooray! I inspected all the jpgs which weren't showing in the top header bar and they were fine - RGB and tiny. I strated to wonder if the images folder might be corrupted - it seemed that the problem recurred  if I uploaded dependent files, and yet the broken links said that tehy were not broken and the files were there. Sometimes it worked if I took the images out of the images folder and relinked them directly from the main foder, and sometimes not (possibly if I used the "included dependent files" upload). So on the joinus.html page I have added three images of the tbflute.jpg - first from the images folder, second from the main folder, and third from a new folder called tbimages which I uploaded by dragging across to the remote server. Only this last showed, so then I googled how to update the template and did it - it worked. 
Now I have one remaining problem which is the button images, still not showing except the CONCERT one, but I cant see anything different on the code. This is not on the template, presumably as there's a different resting state depending on the page. I have made a mbimages folder and tried changing the code directly on the joinus page - no good. If you hold the mouse over the code it finds some images but not others, but none show correctly once live. Again they all open fine in Photoshop, RGB and tiny files.

Thank you all for suggestions and bearing with me - I have very little knowledge of web but am logical and determined! Any thoughts on how to fix this last problem very much appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines