Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it would be useful to have a sitemap generator directly in dreamweaver

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

It's a feature that was present, a long time ago, in Dreamweaver, that worked only on the real first pages, then that was not maintained anymore as soon as the web became really dynamic, moreover it remained in a proprietary format and didn't allow export (if I remember correctly).... finally, it has been removed.

It is true that there are many automatic generators online today, and this is the way to go, because DW has gone into minimum maintenance mode... no more new features will be added.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Do a Google search for site map generator, there are tools about these that can create a sitemap by crawling your site...

There is also this: https://www.dmxzone.com/go/10538/google-sitemap-generator-2/ but I would check with the developers if it works with the latest Dreamweaver versions

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a feature that was present, a long time ago, in Dreamweaver, that worked only on the real first pages, then that was not maintained anymore as soon as the web became really dynamic, moreover it remained in a proprietary format and didn't allow export (if I remember correctly).... finally, it has been removed.

It is true that there are many automatic generators online today, and this is the way to go, because DW has gone into minimum maintenance mode... no more new features will be added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need for one.  Use this online site map generator.  It's free.

https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/

Site maps are helpful for new sites so search engines crawlers can index your site.   Google Docs tells you how to do it. 

https://developers.google.com/search/docs/advanced/sitemaps/build-sitemap

Make your sitemap available to Google by adding it to your robots.txt file or directly submitting it to Search Console.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much.

The point lies in the fact that every time you change or update a page in DW, in theory it should regenerate a sitemap and put it online. And this requires: creating the sitemap, and doing FTP. It would be convenient if the system provided for an automatic update of the sitemap of the site, so as to only have to do the FTP without resorting to other tools, which sometimes do not generate a complete xml and which must then be revised and fixed. Adobe Muse, for example, put a new sitemap online at each FTP: it was a convenient function, which would also fit in DW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, it's nothing I would use.  My site maps are auto-generated on the server with PHP script.

And Dreamweaver isn't receiving any new features. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is dreamweaver not geting any new features? It's the best program for what it does. So now it will be like fireworks? Man! Macromedia should have not sold to adobe. adobe makes horrible decisions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dreamweaver is minimally maintained with security updates now.   Why?  I suppose it's because coding tools aren't sexy.  Adobe lost interest in creating web software as demonstrated by the end of Muse and GoLive before that. 

Adobe is focussed more on 2D & 3D design tools (Photoshop, XD, Substance...), as well as digital documents (Acrobat, Adobe Sign...) and digital assets management systems (Adobe Experience).  

I think that before long, much of what we do will be performed in online apps instead of stand alone computer software. Constantly chasing after MS's and Apple's OS decisions poses too many challenges for software makers.  But that's just my opinion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully understand your expectation, and it is true that this would be a very practical feature, as it was for Muse.

Anyway, for sites not often updated by various authors I often use external online tools (the one indicated by @Nancy OShea is very good).

When I use a CMS there are all kind of plugin very well adapted for each needs (XML, RSS etc...).

In an other side, as @Nancy OShea points out, a PHP script can do the job on the server side. The only problem is that if your updates are sporadic, the script can quickly become invasive, well invasive is a bit of an exaggeration too.

There are two scripts that I had to use :

But again, everything is contextual and it is true that your expectation would have been very useful for sites maintained through DW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said it yourself though with Dreamweaver being a tool.

Its not a dynamic web solution or platform. It is not CMS either.

Those are where things like a sitemap is generated.

With a sitemap a page is NOT a sitemap. A page with links of all your site pages is actually not beneficial at all to a site in terms of SEO and if its being made as a means for somoene to find a page that is very very poor UX (User experience) and there are far better ways to achieve both.

Sitemap.xml obviosly is a thing but content and site structure, the way site linking works and the tools to allow bots to navigate and read content and find what it needs are the most important aspects in a modern website in regard to SEO.

In terms of design and user experience, even a search you have to question "Do I need it" because more often than not a site that is not something like an eCommerce site putting a search on a page is fixing a problem with a band aid and not addressing those real issues.

Managing something offline through FTP uploading in a world of the cloud, headless platforms, CMS platforms and more is at this point allmost ancient in terms of the web as well.

I get what your asking for and saying but that is not the modern web, its not even 5 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Liam Dilley Not sure what all the gibberage is about. The OP stated a very simple comment which is aligned to

https://developers.google.com/search/docs/advanced/sitemaps/overview

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Liam Dilley What are you talking about? What is your point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do a Google search for site map generator, there are tools about these that can create a sitemap by crawling your site...

There is also this: https://www.dmxzone.com/go/10538/google-sitemap-generator-2/ but I would check with the developers if it works with the latest Dreamweaver versions

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice catch !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines