• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Style Sheets and Problem with Site Maintainance

Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am NOT a web designer. ( https://lean-into-god.com/ ) Back in seminary I set up my website (2006) thanks to Lucky Marble. Colin was very patient, but he, they are gone. I destroyed my library file long ago, which is fine, I just have to update each day's web page one at a time which is good for an old fart to have a routine. So I would like to make sure nothing is adding to my format-template page, thus remove all stylesheets. I make changes to my format page and then copy the next day's edited webpage to my template and upload. It has worked fine for years, but I have had several requests for me to change the background color and increase the size of fonts. I'm an ancient guy on SS and cannot afford a web designer. I backed up my site and then tried to change Page Properties, but it made no difference, so obviously there are other sheets effecting my template. Would someone share a link or two that might help me do this?? I checked a few years ago and the least expensive web designer I could find was $75 an hour. I can't imagine what the cost is now.  I know this is probably very simple (to you who know), but I am someone who struggles to open a bag of potato chips. Thank you for your time. Rick

[Moderator: I have placed this in a new topic so that it will gain more attention!]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ricka59407662,

Your Template references 11 stylesheets.   I don't recommend disabling all 11.  It will adversely impact your site.

Open primary.css.  Scroll down to line 77.  Remove all struck through styles below.

body {

background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);
background-position-x: center;
background-position-y: top;
background-repeat: repeat-y;
background-attachment: scroll;

background-image: url("../graphics/page-bg.jpg");
background-size: auto;
background-origin: padding-box;
background-clip: border-box;
}

If you remove the dark background, you also need to change your font to a contrasting color besides white.

Open fonts.css.  Scroll down to line 77.

body {
font-family: roboto_condensedlight, sans-serif;
font-size: 16px;
line-height: 1.428571429;
color: #C0C0C0;
}

Hope that helps. Post back if you have more questions.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick reply. I did not find background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0); in my primary css so I hit ctrl-s-f to search my entire site to get the right page. Looks like I have 3 options???

ricka59407662_0-1708834969845.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2024 Feb 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DO NOT EDIT BOOTSTRAP!

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might not be worth the effort. For one you seem to have set the pages background color or image in more than one place as far as I can tell, after sifting through a wad of css files. 

If you were to change the background color then what color would you change it to?  You have a myriad of text colors on the home page, which needs to contrast with whatever background color you select.........so it means you need to change the text colors as well, if you can locate where they are coming from.

I would concentrate on making the text a bit bigger initially, if that is something you wish to happen. For the homepage you can either search the css files for the  classes 'me' and 'quotes' and make the font sizes allocated to them larger OR as it's a bit of a mess anyway just add another linked stylesheet AFTER all the other linked style sheets and throw in the below selectors:

body {
font-size: 18px!important;
}
.me {
}
.quotes {
}

Applying the above will improve the readabilty of the text on the homepage, particulary on hand held devices where I suspect users are finding it difficult to read.

Its really a task of going through your pages and trying to find where the font styling is coming from and then changing them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your input. Yes, over the years I am sure I have made it worse and worse. Part of the reason I am afraid to mess with the code, other than adding articles and videos, is that it does show up on phones very readable. The complaints I get are from people my age who read it on computers. They do not consider ctrl + an option. I have thought about getting a new template, but I don't think I will live long enough to move everything to a new, clean template. Yes, I understand if I am ablt to change the background color it will affect most of my text. Sorry for the trouble. I probably should not have posted this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the trouble. I probably should not have posted this.

By @ricka59407662

Don't be sorry. My advice, unless you want to give yourself a lot of work, is to keep it primarily as it is. As I said you could just make the text bigger as an initial enhancement, if that is troubling some users. It is what it has become, the website, or parts of it are 18 years old. Over time they become largely 'unmanagable' having had bits added here there and everywhere, I've done it myself to websites I've built in the past, which are long passed their sell by date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. I do appreciate your input. I think I will look around for another template. Good night.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines