• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Time to upgrade old PHP/MySQL database built on WebAssist tools

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm interested in hearing about suggestions for rebuilding a small non-profit website.  Did it years ago with the WebAssist tools.  I haven't been writing code for 5 years.  This is something I'm not really looking forward too, but time has come.   Looking for suggestions on what to do with my MySQL database connection as it appears those tools from Adobe have evaporated.   

Brief review of current Dreamweaver made me think I might convert the real estate template into my needs.   Thanks in advance for any insight and guidance..

TOPICS
Code , Extensions , How to , Interface , Server side applications

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Manually writing the connection scripts might be a bit painful for someone so removed from working with code.

However, while DW doesn't have any built-in options for connecting to databases, WebAssist and DMX Zone still make paid extensions to do what the database panel used to (with modernized, secure code methods).

Unfortunately they aren't available on Adobe's failed extensions/add-ons marketplace and just need to be purchsed directly from the developers, like most decent DW extensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Webassist MySQLi extensions will be easier to learn, espescially if you've worked with the old Dreamweaver Server behaviors before.

DMXZone server side extensions have a steeper learning curve IMO.

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say you have used WebAssist tools to build your website in the past, maybe 5+ years ago?

I don't know when WebAssist brought out their mysqli [note the (i)] database connection/query extension which is the workflow you need to deploy now for modern websites, not the old mysql [without the (i)].

Check out what version of the database connection/query extention from WebAssist you have - mysqli has been around for a long time now.

If its not the current mysqli extension then the options you have are:

1) Purchase the mysqli extention from WebAssist which still works with Dreamweaver (obviously check this before you buy)

2) Write your own connection and database queries - there are numerous php/mysqli tutorials if you search Google and Youtube

DW dropped their built in server behaviours because they were past their sell-by-date, being mysql, threatened to update them and so far never have. That's when DW dropped the ball and its now dead in the water and wont recover until they bring something innovative back to the software again which is not likely to happen. Infact its more likely to be EOLed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you be more specific about what needs changing?  I ask only because I use WebAssist's MySQLi (improved) extension which performs just fine on a modern server.  If you're using MySQLi connections, you shouldn't be having problems on that side of it. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines