Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do i update from bootstrap 4 to 5? Can I have both? tia

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

READ ME first.

1. Links to Bootstrap 5 on the CDN. 

NOTE:  Latest Bootstrap does not rely on jQuery. 

DO NOT combine versions of Bootstrap. 

https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/bootstrap@5.3.2/dist/css/bootstrap.min.css

https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/bootstrap@5.3.2/dist/js/bootstrap.bundle.min.js

2. Migrating from old to new Bootstrap, manually.

NOTE:  New & deprecated classes.

https://getbootstrap.com/docs/5.0/migration/

Post back if you have questions.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Nancy. What happens to what I've created using version 4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2024 Mar 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Nancy. What happens to what I've created using version 4?

By @Haybound

Nothing, it still works. However don't try and link Bootstrap version 5 to whatever you have done in version 4 as you will mostly likely need to update certain elements.

There's nothing in Dreamweaver that will make it easy for you to select Bootstrap utility classes, starter responsive templates etc for version 5 as it currently only supports version 4 and won't be updated as far as we know. Dreamweaver is only receiving OS and bug updates, currently no new features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Content you've created with version 4 classes will need to be updated to version 5 classes — as described in the migration documentation below.  Read it.

https://getbootstrap.com/docs/5.0/migration/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, again. I've read everything I could find on migrating, including this article. I can't see any reason for updating to 5 at this point. I'd have to fix 8 sites, if I did. The change I think I should consider is switching to Wrappler. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bootstrap 5 has many improvements that the previous versions lack.  But it won't help you build a shopping cart which requires expert backend programming skills and working knowledge of Payment Card Industry (PCI) requirements.  Bootstrap is merely a front end framework for displaying content on multiple devices.

I think you should a hire an experienced web developer to help you. E-commerce is complex. Your web developer will probably recommend a 3rd party shopping cart to use like Shopify or WordPress & Woo Commerce plugin.

Your #1 goal should be providing customers with a safe & secure shopping experience on a system you can use.  The tools you use aren't important.  But the backend programming is. And a shopping cart provider will do the heavy lifting for you.

Hope that helps, good luck with your project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have lots to do before I get to the shopping cart. 🫤 I'm looking at Fortune 3. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have lots to do before I get to the shopping cart. 🫤 I'm looking at Fortune 3. 

By @Haybound

Have a look at the Boutique playlists that I am working on:

This is part 1. This is based on an earlier version of Wappler and version 5.0 of Bootstrap.

This is part 2. Based on the Wappler v6 and Bootstrap v5.3. After Easter, I will upload a video that shows using the Stripe payment gateway. No costly monthly fees!

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm following you in the Wrappler Community and have subscribed to your Youtube channel. I appreciate the tutorials.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2024 Mar 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, again. I've read everything I could find on migrating, including this article. I can't see any reason for updating to 5 at this point. I'd have to fix 8 sites, if I did. The change I think I should consider is switching to Wrappler. 

By @Haybound

You don't need to update any website created in Bootstrap version 4, just continue to use version 4 to manage it. Going forward, any new website use version 5 if you want to access improved workflows.

One of the issues l see with frameworks, apart from being bloated, is you might struggle to remember how they do things, particularly if you are managing websites built in several different versions. Updating to a newer version is not always an option.

If you require visual UI assistance from an editor then yes you will have to consider an alternative editor that supports Bootstrap versions that DW doesn't...........another editor you might try is Pinegrow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was what I was wondering... Can I have both versions installed in Dreamweaver so that I can create new sites using version 5. I'll research Pinegrow. I thought they were a Wordpress editor only.

And, you're right. I struggle to remember.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was what I was wondering... Can I have both versions installed in Dreamweaver so that I can create new sites using version 5. I'll research Pinegrow. I thought they were a Wordpress editor only.

And, you're right. I struggle to remember.

By @Haybound

You don't install Bootstrap version 5 in  Dreamweaver, you can either link to it via a cdn, content delivery network or you could download the css and js files and link your pages to them locally.

You will then have to consult the official Bootstrap 5 website to copy the components code snippets and paste them into your Dreamweaver pages although there's nothing stoping you creating a set of the most used Bootstrap 5 components and turning them into Dreamweaver code snippets. Keep the Bootstrap 5 website bookmarked as you will need to return to it frequently to observe what utility classes you will need to deploy.

You can still use both versions, version 4 for maintaining your sites built in that version and if you choose you can use version 5 to create new sites. However don't mix and match the versions.

Pinegrow is an html editor with a visual interface which l think supports Bootstrap version 5 and yes l believe it does have a WordPress plugin but it's not an editor exclusively for WordPress.

Wappler is an all singing dancing low code editor for projects which are more advanced like connecting, querying databases, making calls to api's etc although you can obviously use it for lesser projects as well. It has its own front end javascript niche workflow, not unlike Vue, React or Angular, which may or may not be appropriate for you depending on if its important that a recognised main stream workflow is deployed or one that has limited appeal but gets the job done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, osgood! I guess my question should have been, if and how do I use Bootstrap 5 with Dreamweaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You use Bootstap 5 manually.  Dreamweaver is stuck on Bootstrap 4.  It won't be updated to new versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You use Bootstap 5 manually.  Dreamweaver is stuck on Bootstrap 4.  It won't be updated to new versions.

By @Nancy OShea

That, together with an outdated PHP version, should be enough to diverge developers/designers away from Dreamweaver. 

The most used IDE for Mac, Windows, and Linux is Visual Studio Code. It is one of the easiest ones to get into. Designed for JavaScript development, it also supports multiple major scripting and compiled languages, and a lot of plugins for code completion and highlighting. Moreover, Visual Studio Code offers the AI helper, which analyzes code edits and completes code lines based on learned patterns and context.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, everyone! Everything I've been trying to learn is starting to make sense, now. I thought I had to use Bootstrap from within Dreamweaver. 

I love doing this; I love the challenges. You've all been so generous, patiently helping me 'crack the code'. :D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines