Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Uploading styles to a remote server

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2024 Aug 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all! 

So I have recently started using Dreamweaver to build a website. Using a few tutorial I have been having fun using styles, I tried uploading the website using Filezilla as doing so via Dreamweaver did not work for me. So I saved my website as an index.php and uploaded it however the styles did not transfer along with it. I went and transferred the styles separately but that did not work either. So my question is how do I transfer the styles to my remote server using Filezilla?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the other files transfered, I see no reason why the stylesheet (CSS) should not have been transferred. Have you checked the files on the remote to see if it is there? To help us get an idea of what is happening, please give us the URL to the site.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually, the reason styles break with this kind of workflow is because of one of a couple of possible issues...

1. CasE StRuCtuRe - your local file system is not case sensitive STYLES.css and styles.css are the same file and links to either will go to the correct location.  Most servers, however are case sensitive, STYLES.css and styles.css are treated as totally separate files. Make sure your case structure is identical between the file names and links within the code

2. Direcory Structure - sometimes when uploading from third party apps, it's easy to forget to upload the folders that the files are in. Your folder structure locally should be identical to the server. If your .css file is inside a styles folder, that folder has to be on the server as well, and the file uploaded within it instead of along side your index file in the site root directory

There are a number of other possibilities, but with the limited info we have access to, those would be the best places to start in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you define a local site folder in Dreamweaver before you began your project?  That's a very important first step to ensure that DW  properly manages links for you.   Without a defined site, links will incorrectly point to files:/// on your computer which nobody can see except you.

A proper link to your stylesheet should resemble this where CSS is the site's stylesheet folder and bootstrap.min.css is the physical file containing styles.

<link href="CSS/bootstrap.min.css" rel="stylesheet">

Additionally, you need a local testing server to parse PHP files.  In this example,  I'm using WAMP server and my site folder resides in the default web directory of www.  Use any local server you wish that supports PHP code: XAMPP, MAMP, WAMP...

Site > Manage Sites...  See screenshots below.

CC-testingServer1.jpg

Define your Local Testing Server:

CC-testingServer2.jpg

Basic Tab

CC-testingServer3.jpg

Advanced Tab

CC-testingServer4.jpg

Final Screen with two servers defined: Local Testing Server and Remote Web Server

CC-testingServer-final.jpg

Remote Server details from your web hosting provider.

CC-RootFolder.jpg

Post back if you need more help.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines