• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Word to Dreamweaver Problems

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm using DW 21.1 on Mac' Big Sur OS.  I've always been able to copy and paste Word Files into DW with all their formatting, but now they are arriving as a little blank square that when clicked provides the following message: "Marked Invalid Because It Does Not Belong in the Tag Tha It's In.  Go The Code To Correct The Problem."

I looked at the code, but I'm not well versed in HTML and did not know what to do.  How can I correct this problem.

[MODERATOR REMOVED URL AND PHONE NUMBER]

TOPICS
Other

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

It's time you learned how to work with code.  We can't fix coding errors for you.  That goes beyond the scope of what this product forum can provide.  Sorry. 

START HERE:

HTML Validation Service https://validator.w3.org/

CSS Validation Service https://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

CODE RESOURCES:

- https://www.w3schools.com/html/
- https://www.w3schools.com/css/
- https://www.w3schools.com/js/

Please don't post personal information in this public forum.  This is NOT private email.  What you post here is visible to the entire Internet.

Thank you.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds to me like there are special characters making the trip from Word into DW.

Rather than a straight Copy/Paste, try...

1. Copy the text from Word
2. Right-click in DW's Design View where you want to add your text and choose "Paste Special"
3. In the dialogue that comes up, choose the "Text with structure (paragraphs, lists, tables, etc)" radio button
4. Hit OK

That should stop Microsoft's garbage code from infecting your .html file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But this speaks to a bigger problem.

"Marked Invalid Because It Does Not Belong in the Tag That It's In. Go To The Code To Correct The Problem."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the quick response.  It didn't work.  Got the same result.  But I don't want you to give up!  Adobe phone support for Dreamweaver is not working, and I don't know how else to resolve this problem.  For years now, I have been copying and pasting Word files into Dreamweaver using the forth option "Test With Struture" with no prblems.  None of the other options are working either, although with "Text Only", I did get a mess of unformated text.

Do you have any other ideas.  I looked at the code, but I'm not well versed in HTML and did not know what to do.

Do you have any other ideas?

Bob Rosenberry [peronal details removed by moderator] 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I repeat:

BenPleysier_0-1615416452159.png

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

I'm sorry but Adobe tech support will not help you clean up your code. That's not their job.  If you can't work with code well enough to fix your own errors, it's time to hire an experienced code person to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, without seeing the code for myself, it's hard to say what might be going wrong.

It could be a case of there being a code error in the page BEFORE pasting that's causing DW to choke when the Word info is brought across.

Check your page for errors before pasting from Word, go to File > Validate > Current Document (W3C) and see if there are any structural problems (don't worry about "x-item is obsolete, use CSS instead" errors). Fixing errors might be enough to bring the function back in line with expectations.

Also, back to your original error, what tag is being pasted into?

Text can only be put inside a select group of container tags, make sure you're not putting it into something that isn't for text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you run your code through the online validation service below?

https://validator.w3.org/

How many code errors and warnings were reported?

If you care to post a URL to your online website, we'll take a look at the code for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines