• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Dreamweaver not picking up stylesheet attributes.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, is there any valid reason whatsoever as to WHY Dreamweaver is choosing to ignore the stylesheet that is attached to my HTML document? It is completely ignoring any css attribute I place in my stylesheet and quite frankly it;s really starting to piss me off. 

Below is the code that is the stylesheet which is  the HTML document, between the <head> tags - which, shockingly, is the way I have always dont this and (also shockingly) is the way it is supposed to be done.

<link href="css/master.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

However, tonight, your product as decied to behave like an "intelligently-challenged"  disobdient child and completely ignore ANY CSS atribute I make: color, positioning, font-size, nothing. 

So, tell me, why am I once again having my time wasted by some idioticly-designed software which is still quite happy to charge us?  Anyone else have this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean the css styles are being ignored within the Dreamweaver environment or when you view the page in a browser?

I know its a stupid suggestion but your stylesheet is located within the 'css' folder?

Also if you are using an html5 doctype there is no need to include the below in the link:

type="text/css"

but I doubt that has anything to do with the styles being ignored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing your code, all we can do is guess what might be going on.  For quicker answers, upload your work to a remote server space you control and post the URL here.  You can always delete from server after your question is answered.

Meanwhile, some things to check:

• Validate code and fix reported errors.
    HTML  - https://validator.w3.org/
    CSS  - https://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
  • Refresh your browser.  Clear your browser's cache memory or use another browser.
  • Check that the selector name is exactly the same in your CSS and your HTML.
  • Check that the selector name is not being used by other style rules elsewhere in your stylesheet.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you maybe working in Design View instead of Live View?

Design View hs all kinds of problems with CSS, especially anything remotely "advanced", and with DW having two editing interfaces (Design and Live) it's not unheard of to accidentally switch from one to the other and run into issues.

Another possibility...

Really more of an addition to osgood's point, only pages that are located within the same folder as the "css" folder would be able to use the link posted above. If you are working on a page that's not sitting directly within that same folder, say within a "pages" folder, the link would need ../ added to the beginning, to get it to see the .css file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines