• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CSS pages not displaying locally, but appear correctly when uploaded

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, serious DW newbie here - the last HTML editor I worked with was FrontPage, so needless to say I've got some catching up to do.

I was given some HTML code and have managed to connect my server and upload pages. It looks correct on the uploaded page, but locally it seems like the CSS pages are not being recognized, making it hard to work on the page. I'm sure it's something simple, but I'm at a loss to sort it out.

Hopefully these screen shots will be enough info. Thanks in advance.screenshot01.jpgscreenshot02.jpg

TOPICS
Code , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Design View is a relic from the old days when everybody still used tables for layouts.  It's good for quick edits but not accurate at rendering modern CSS.  Switch to Live view from the Document Toolbar.  See screenshot. Live view is closer to a real browser.

Document Toolbar > Design ViewDocument Toolbar > Design View

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Nancy for your reply. I believe the pages actually displayed correctly until I connected to the server. Somehow the CSS connection was lost. 

Alas, I was hoping for better WYSIWYG as I'm not a coder. Seems like there is something that could be done to get DW to load the CSS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do you have a copie of all of the site's .css files saved locally?
Are they all saved in the exact locations shown in the <link> tags of your <head> section?
Does it work correctly when you switch to Live View?

DW's Design View is far from WYSIWYG. The new Live View Editor is much closer to reality, but the functionality non-coders are looking for (namely the ability to drag and drop elements to their homes like a page layout tool) simply doesn't exist in DW. It's not a WYSIWYG program, it's more of a "what you code is what you get" tool with some visual helpers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines