• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DB connection

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Dreamweaver CS4, ASP, an Access database and a web space via Aruba with a purchased domain:
Some time ago I had a site of a commercial nature, within which I had also created protected pages using the Dreamweaver tools, complete with connection to the Access database. I used the connection string method to connect to the database where the ID and pass were fetched to access these pages. Everything has always worked properly.
Then I closed the site.
Now I have bought a new domain with its web space always on Aruba. I have tried to make protected pages with the same method again, but when I try to connect to the database, the connection doesn't work. Tried and tried, but nothing. Has something changed?
The connection string is as follows:
"driver = {Microsoft Access Driver (* .mdb)}; dbq =" & Server.MapPath ("/ data / database.mdb")
Hope someone can answer and maybe help solve the problem.
Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DW CS4 is 12 years old so a lot has changed since then which includes Adobe dropping support for ASP and .NET. It was not being updated enough and was deprecated a few versions back so you are likely running into an issue where your web host has continued to update their server to the current ASP standards and your version of DW is outdated.  If you are trying to develop in ASP/.NET I would recommend looking into the latest release of Visual Studio ( https://visualstudio.microsoft.com ).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. It was what I supposed. What do you think about KompoZer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That software is older than most versions of Dreamweaver and wouldn't help with your ASP issue and hasn't been actively developed in almost a decade. For the development you need, only Visual Studio will likely solve your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with everything Ben_M said.

I'll also add, ASP is 20+ year old technology.  I'm not sure if Visual Studio can support classic ASP anymore. And the Access database is not good on the web.  It's too slow compared with SQL and other server-side databases. 

See this tutorial on creating dynamic web pages with ASP.NET and SQL data.

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/asp.net_wp/asp.net_wp_overview.htm

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I know that that is an older program. That's what I used in fact 20 years ago. But I had a site that still worked until a couple of years ago. I thought I could still use it. Access worked fine, as the database was only meant to verify ID and password. Thanks for the tip anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

20 year old technology is obsolete. You have much catching up to do.  If you don't have a lot of IDs and passwords, you could put them in a flat file (XML, JSON or CSV).

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh! Thanks, Nancy. I'll try it. I just need to find out how to connect to XML file. Unfortunately, I m a 20 years obsolete guy too. Long time I don't do such things and I see many things changed.

Thanks again.

ludi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines