Highlighted

Dreamweaver CC 2019 Problem

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an index page with a banner containing 6 images.   Five images across the top are logos, while the 6th image is some text which is the name of the company.

After doing some modifications to another part of  the site which involved a minor edit to the css file needed to make that page work properly, now the home page doesn't work properly.   Actually it works fine online, shows no problems, but viewing it in Dreamweaver in either Live or Design view, this larger image which is the company name displays in the middle of the page as a larger than normal image overlaying the code.  

I have gone through the css and the html and cannot find what is wrong.

I have a limitation, cannot post this for public consumption, need to be able to send the html file and the css file to someone in Adobe Support for an opinion.   I need to edit the home page but am reluctant to upload a faulty file which I cannot fix.  Oh - the larger (problem) image is placed with absolute location in the CSS, and changing that and/or the horizontal & vertical locations doesn't seem to impact it.

Also, I noticed that both the CC 2018 and the 2019 versions are installed - can I simply uninstall the CC 2018 version through the control panel?

Running Windows 7 (64-bit) deskstop

Thanks for any assistance!

(Gene M)

Thanks to both of you Jon and Nancy!  Turns out several of the numbers in the CSS class rule governing that image had been changed - not something I did on purpose and I have no idea how it happened, has nothing to do with the minor mod I had made to the CSS file - think I added a rule which took about 2 lines.

Main thing wrong that screwed it up was the file dimensions - they were much larger than the actual file size so fixing them solved the problem.

Thanks again!

Gene M

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Dreamweaver CC 2019 Problem

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an index page with a banner containing 6 images.   Five images across the top are logos, while the 6th image is some text which is the name of the company.

After doing some modifications to another part of  the site which involved a minor edit to the css file needed to make that page work properly, now the home page doesn't work properly.   Actually it works fine online, shows no problems, but viewing it in Dreamweaver in either Live or Design view, this larger image which is the company name displays in the middle of the page as a larger than normal image overlaying the code.  

I have gone through the css and the html and cannot find what is wrong.

I have a limitation, cannot post this for public consumption, need to be able to send the html file and the css file to someone in Adobe Support for an opinion.   I need to edit the home page but am reluctant to upload a faulty file which I cannot fix.  Oh - the larger (problem) image is placed with absolute location in the CSS, and changing that and/or the horizontal & vertical locations doesn't seem to impact it.

Also, I noticed that both the CC 2018 and the 2019 versions are installed - can I simply uninstall the CC 2018 version through the control panel?

Running Windows 7 (64-bit) deskstop

Thanks for any assistance!

(Gene M)

Thanks to both of you Jon and Nancy!  Turns out several of the numbers in the CSS class rule governing that image had been changed - not something I did on purpose and I have no idea how it happened, has nothing to do with the minor mod I had made to the CSS file - think I added a rule which took about 2 lines.

Main thing wrong that screwed it up was the file dimensions - they were much larger than the actual file size so fixing them solved the problem.

Thanks again!

Gene M

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 11, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Customer Care typically does not handle code issues. If you were to get in touch with them, they'd likely send you back to the open forum.

It sounds to me like your image on your home page and whatever item it was you changed on one of your other pages, are using the same CSS Selector in your external stylesheet. Whether that's an id or class, only you would know, but making sure both elements are being selected separately would be as simple as using unique CSS id's for each. #homelogo and #secondarylogo in the CSS, for example, then in the html of the tags of those elements, you'd add id="homelogo" and id="secondarylogo" .

Run your pages through the validators at...

HTML:

Ready to check - Nu Html Checker

CSS:

Ready to check - Nu Html Checker

They will give you a listing of errors and inconsistencies you may not be seeing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your time and for sharing your knowledge and experience, Jon.  That class for the banner image is only used that one time so I don't see how that could be it.  And thanks also for that excellent answer re the possible uninstall of DW CC2018, makes sense.

The good news is that verifier - I had totally forgotten about that and ran it, and it found a few small things here and there which had nothing to do with my current problem - but I will continue to use that so thanks for reminding!!!  

The even better news is that I got up the courage to fix the home and do the edits I needed to do in code view, uploaded it, and it works as it should including with no problems, including the banner image which went rogue on me.   I'm really beginning to wonder if Dreamweaver CC2019 has been corrupted, but I don't guess there any such thing as "partial corruption."   I noticed while I was originally doing this work that the keyboard shortcut for copy (Ctrl-C) wasn't working so resorted to using the Edit dropdown and doing the copying the hard way.  Ctrl-V worked fine for the paste though.   Go figure . . .   Was doing a lot of Word copying and paste special for text only.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2019 1
Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As to the installations, yes, you can uninstall either through the CC Desktop App easily enough, without affecting the other. Issues may arise when installing other versions though. If you don't ensure "Remove older versions" is unchecked in the Advanced Options of the installer dialogue, it will delete all older versions.

I find it's best to have a trusted version installed along with the latest version. Since the Creative Cloud came out, new versions have had higher incidence of bugs than the old Creative Suite versions did. I still use CC2015 for production, though CC2019 is much better than the versions in between, I'm still holding onto the older one, just in case.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again!

Gene M

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2019 1
Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all you edited was CSS code, I'm betting dollars to donuts that's where the problem is.   Check your stylesheet for missing  curly braces or semi-colons.   Once the code errors are corrected, it should work as expected in DW.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CSS file used was fine from my manual check as well as from the verifier, but thanks - I really appreciate your taking the time to try and help.   This Forum is awesome - first time I have ever used it.  (but it will not be the last I bet!)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2019 1