• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver for Windows 10 without internet?

New Here ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for an option to run Dreamweaver on a Windows 10 computer that will never connect to the Internet.  I've been a long time Dreamweaver/Fireworks user, but am being migrated to Windows 10 soon.  My challenge is that my work is on an intranet that will never connect to the internet, which I understand eliminates the CC products per a chat with Adobe.  Per https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/system-requirements.html#id_55336 the CS versions are not Windows 10 compatilbe.  I currently have Dreamweaver CS5.5 and Fireworks 5.  The software works fine, but since Adobe says compatiblilty ends at Windows 7, the network accreditation people say I need another option.  Any recommendations?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

I'm betting two things are being discussed here, one by Al and another by the Adobe rep and network guys at the OP's place of employment...

1. Can it run on Windows 10?
     (Yes, as Al states, it can and does. It typically runs very well in fact.)

2. Is it "Certified Windows 10 Compatible"

(Nope. It's not and never will be. Adobe has stated as much in the past.)

Microsoft has a certification process for desktop applications under Windows 10 and Adobe has no plans to work through that on the ol

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could disconnect the computer you have CS5 installed from your intranet, and not update it to windows 10.

Then use a file transfer program installed on another computer to transfer your pages to or from your server. Thus completely isolating the windows 7 computer completely, that way it would not become a possible security risk to any other computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brackets is Win10 compatible. http://brackets.io/

Of course getting updates or extensions for it won't be easy since you don't have internet access.  That's going to be a major challenge no matter which software you use.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is either lying to you, or the person you chatted with is incompetent (very likely). I run Dreamweaver CS3, CS5, and CS6 (my favorite version) on several Windows 10 machines without any issues. I also run Fireworks CS3 and CS5 without issue. These "ACPs" should really be sanctioned for not mentioning this to you.

My name is Al Sparber. I am co-founder of Project Seven (PVII.com) and you are welcome to contact us if you want the true scoop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Al,

Where is the OP going to find Creative Suite 6?  It's no longer sold.

I think the vast majority of problems reported in the Creative Suite forums are from people who have upgraded their old machines from Win7/8/8.1 to Win10.  A clean machine with a fresh install of Win10 will almost always perform better than an upgraded one.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  I would definitely try it.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm betting two things are being discussed here, one by Al and another by the Adobe rep and network guys at the OP's place of employment...

1. Can it run on Windows 10?
     (Yes, as Al states, it can and does. It typically runs very well in fact.)

2. Is it "Certified Windows 10 Compatible"

(Nope. It's not and never will be. Adobe has stated as much in the past.)

Microsoft has a certification process for desktop applications under Windows 10 and Adobe has no plans to work through that on the old software. I don't know what is actually involved (there is quite a bit of info about it on Microsoft's site), but anything requiring a change to the program's underlying code would be a non-starter, Adobe has washed their hands of the old versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

Al,

Where is the OP going to find Creative Suite 6?  It's no longer sold.

I think the vast majority of problems reported in the Creative Suite forums are from people who have upgraded their old machines from Win7/8/8.1 to Win10.  A clean machine with a fresh install of Win10 will almost always perform better than an upgraded one.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  I would definitely try it.

Nancy

Oh, for heaven's sake. Let me see. I read the OP's "P" and I found this:

"I currently have Dreamweaver CS5.5 and Fireworks 5"

Hmm. Did I miss something?

I am looking at a Windows 10 laptop in my office, which has Dreamweaver CS 5.5 and Fireworks 5. Works perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Al, you're the one who mentioned CS6 as your favorite version.  I only mentioned it because you did. 

That said, CS6 is certified compatible with Win10.  I'm not saying CS5 / 5.5 won't work.  Very often they do.  But that's not what Adobe is willing to say.

I'm sorry if my reply confused you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

Al, you're the one who mentioned CS6 as your favorite version.  I only mentioned it because you did. 

That said, CS6 is certified compatible with Win10.  I'm not saying CS5 / 5.5 won't work.  Very often they do.  But that's not what Adobe is willing to say.

I'm sorry if my reply confused you.

You're not confusing me, you are driving me crazy

Look, This has nothing to do with CS6. As opposed to Adobe, we actually test older versions of Dreamweaver and the results are in...

CS5.5 works fine in Windows 10.

I simply added the other versions for the benefit of other folks who might read the thread, because if an Adobe rep told this poor soul that Dreamweaver CS 5.5 does not work on Windows 10, that Adobe rep is full of crap.

And there is no excuse for leading someone to believe that if they have Windows 10, they MUST use a Creative Cloud version of Dreamweaver. That's entirely misleading.

You did not confuse me. Perhaps confounded would be a better word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2018 Sep 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My windows 7 machine downloaded an Adobe Dreamweaver CS6 update, and since that time, none of the Project 7 material will work.  I refuse to purchase the Adobe CC Dreamweaver.  Did a subscription with them after the Adobe person said you did not have to have internet access.  Of course, you have to have access, and I could not use the software, and was forced to pay for a subscription that could not be used.  I cancelled the subscription and I refuse to purchase anything more from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 07, 2018 Sep 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Call us. I guarantee you that we will get you up and running. If you limit yourself to asking Adobe for help, I'm afraid you're not going to be a happy camper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My answer would be Netbeans: great editor, html/css/js validation and syntax checking while you type, built-in project templates for starting up html/app projects, great project management built-in, local version control/history built-in and by default activated (so no worries about losing work or edits), infinitely configurable, full git/svn/mercurial support, code refactoring, excellent search and replace, database support, built-in local webserver if needed, and much more. Also a nice Chrome addon (can be downloaded in advance) for live bi-directional css editing with Chrome's Inspect Element function.

Dreamweaver can't really compete in regards to features. Excepting the visual editor, of course. No direct visual editing in Netbeans.

All addons may be downloaded separately in advance and installed as zip files. No need for an internet connection.

Welcome to NetBeans

NetBeans Plugin Portal, NetBeans IDE Plugins Repository

Best of all: open source and free!

Fireworks is a tougher nut to crack, though. Gravit Designer may be a solution for you: Gravit Designer

A relative newcomer, it is quite similar to Fireworks, and supports exporting your work/elements on a per object basis and with multiple assets for different outputs (1x, 2x,...). It's the spiritual successor to Freehand, but modernized, and with web/mobile asset export options built-in. Also includes a similar effects workflow as Fireworks does.

And free again! Portable versions for 32bit and 64bit are available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All - Thanks for the prompt replies.  I'm going to see if I can get permission to install my current software on the new computer.  My Win10 will be a fresh install on a new machine.  There are many rules for the network and the assessment process for new software is challenging, but I'll keep them as a backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've worked in rigorously controlled networks/computer environments before myself, and I could always (except this one time where even unknown executables were forbidden and tracked via a white-list) bring in a USB key with my own portable applications, run them, and work with them.

Many applications will work portable on Windows. Copy the portable version of Gravit Designer to a USB drive/key. A portable version of Netbeans, Atom, and other applications are available too. For example:

https://gareth.flowers/netbeans-portable/

Atom Portable download | SourceForge.net

These will not change anything on the local system (excepting saving files/projects to the local machine, of course).

There's nothing more infuriating than a large corporate admin team that acts like Stalin's Old Russia.

So far I've had zero issues with this way of working when called to work in a like office environment. Of course, in some environments bypassing "Ze Corporate Law" might get you fired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I'm in a strict environment.  If I brought a USB drive/key into the office, I'd be looking for a new job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines