Highlighted

Dreamweaver Output Error bug.

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I found a bug in Dreamweaver CC. I get an output error when using some CSS markup for 'grid-template-columns' and 'grid-template-rows'. It says that both lines expect a 'RBRACE', however, I've used this code before in other instances and the error doesn't pop up. Is posting this issue to the forums a way to alert the development team? Below is my HTML and CSS.

HTML

<!doctype html>
<html>
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8">
<title>Test Page</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="css/styles.css">
</head>

<body>
<header>
  <nav>
   <a href="#">Home</a>
   <a href="#">About</a>
   <a href="#">Events</a>
   <a href="#">Contact</a>
  </nav>
</header>
<main>
  <section id="intro">
   <div>Testing</div>
  </section>
</main>
</body>
</html>

CSS

@charset "utf-8";

/* CSS Document */

body {

background-color: black;

color: white;

margin: 0 auto;

}

nav {

display: flex;

justify-content: space-around;

background-color: darkred;

}

nav a {

color: white; padding: 10px;

}

#intro {

display: grid;

grid-template-columns: repeat(12, 1fr);

grid-template-rows: repeat(3, 1fr);

height: 90vh; background-color: #202020;

}

#intro div {

grid-column: 1 / 5;

grid-row: 2;

background-color:red;

}

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Nancy OShea | Adobe Community Professional

Submit bug reports from your Help Menu.  This is a user-to-user forum.

I cannot reproduce your issues in CC 2019.  This code does not flag any errors or warnings for me.  That said, a missing right brace is often caused by an unclosed media query higher up in the document or some other code error.   Validate your complete CSS code with this online service.

The W3C CSS Validation Service

<!doctype html>

<html lang="en">

<head>

<meta charset="utf-8">

<title>TEST</title>

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">

<style>

body {

}

nav {

}

nav a {

padding: 10px;

}

#intro {

height: 90vh;

background-color: #202020;

}

#intro div {

background-color: red;

}

</style>

</head>

<body>

<header>

<nav>

<a href="#">Home</a>

<a href="#">About</a>

<a href="#">Events</a>

<a href="#">Contact</a>

</nav>

</header>

<main>

<section id="intro">

<div>Testing</div>

</section>

</main>

</body>

</html>

TOPICS
Create menus in Dreamweaver

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Dreamweaver Output Error bug.

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I found a bug in Dreamweaver CC. I get an output error when using some CSS markup for 'grid-template-columns' and 'grid-template-rows'. It says that both lines expect a 'RBRACE', however, I've used this code before in other instances and the error doesn't pop up. Is posting this issue to the forums a way to alert the development team? Below is my HTML and CSS.

HTML

<!doctype html>
<html>
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8">
<title>Test Page</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="css/styles.css">
</head>

<body>
<header>
  <nav>
   <a href="#">Home</a>
   <a href="#">About</a>
   <a href="#">Events</a>
   <a href="#">Contact</a>
  </nav>
</header>
<main>
  <section id="intro">
   <div>Testing</div>
  </section>
</main>
</body>
</html>

CSS

@charset "utf-8";

/* CSS Document */

body {

}

nav {

}

nav a {

color: white; padding: 10px;

}

#intro {

height: 90vh; background-color: #202020;

}

#intro div {

background-color:red;

}

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Nancy OShea | Adobe Community Professional

I cannot reproduce your issues in CC 2019.  This code does not flag any errors or warnings for me.  That said, a missing right brace is often caused by an unclosed media query higher up in the document or some other code error.   Validate your complete CSS code with this online service.

<!doctype html>

<html lang="en">

<head>

<meta charset="utf-8">

<title>TEST</title>

<style>

body {

}

nav {

}

nav a {

}

#intro {

}

#intro div {

}

</style>

</head>

<body>

<header>

<nav>

<a href="#">Home</a>

<a href="#">About</a>

<a href="#">Events</a>

<a href="#">Contact</a>

</nav>

</header>

<main>

<section id="intro">

<div>Testing</div>

</section>

</main>

</body>

</html>

TOPICS
Create menus in Dreamweaver

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 17, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<!doctype html>

<html lang="en">

<head>

<meta charset="utf-8">

<title>TEST</title>

<style>

body {

}

nav {

}

nav a {

}

#intro {

}

#intro div {

}

</style>

</head>

<body>

<header>

<nav>

<a href="#">Home</a>

<a href="#">About</a>

<a href="#">Events</a>

<a href="#">Contact</a>

</nav>

</header>

<main>

<section id="intro">

<div>Testing</div>

</section>

</main>

</body>

</html>

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 17, 2019 1
Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that the entire code of your css file?

The "expected brace" error can come from a lot of different things, and can show up in positions that have nothing to do with the actual error in the code.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 18, 2019 1
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, I got the same error on "grid-template-columns: repeat(3, 1fr);"

the use of "1fr" gives the error?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2019 0
Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using an old version of DW, that string, along with a large assortment of other valid CSS, could flag as wrong.

In the latest version of CC2019 I don't get any errors with just the code you've provided, but as I mentioned above, oftentimes "expected brace" errors are caused by errors in your code not associated with the highlighted line number.

If you're seeing the error in the latest version of DW, could you share the entire code of the file?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello Jon F, I even downloaded a beta version of Dreamweaver, the "Next" version, on OSX, and indeed some errors are fixed, but still not when using "1fr" in a CSS file.

I made a new CSS file with only this style :

@charset "UTF-8";

/* CSS Document */

#portfoliolist {

grid-template-columns: repeat(2, 1fr);

}

… and still get an error on the 4th line. When I alter the "1fr" by "25%" the error is gone …

big thanks in advance, Steven

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2019 0
Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, now I see it.

I was using embedded css and it doesn't show the error in an html page.

Looks like another bug to report: Adobe Dreamweaver: Bugs

You could turn off Linting under your Preferences and use online validation. I know the red line numbers in otherwise valid code can get annoying.

Personally, I turned off Linting as soon as Adobe changed it from firing "on change" to "on save" only (after CC2015). In my opinion, it's pretty much useless if you have to save the page to be warned about an error.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2019 1
Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jon+Fritz+II  a écrit

Personally, I turned off Linting as soon as Adobe changed it from firing "on change" to "on save" only (after CC2015). In my opinion, it's pretty much useless if you have to save the page to be warned about an error.

100% agree with you, we had this discussion a while ago, and it was amazing how many users (from this forum) was arguing that "on save" was the best option...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/B+i+r+n+o+u  wrote

100% agree with you, we had this discussion a while ago, and it was amazing how many users (from this forum) was arguing that "on save" was the best option...

Which or how many users from this forum?

Is it not time that Dw cab/pre-release/users/managment/team members had an open discussion about what is required in Dw for the modern web designer/developer, and how it should work.

I have said it before, but here it is again. If I was to have allowed a app/site to be developed then released to users with so many bugs, missing or incomplete features as Dw now has, then I would have expected to be asked to resign my position. It appears though that the Dw managment/team, or Adobe managment themselves either do not know or care about Dw.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2019 0
Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Paula,

I could if necessary find these discussions in the archives (I consult the forum from a mailbox that collects each mail)...but now,  I don't remember who, or how many users advocated that activating the lint was preferable when saving the document, and not during writing.

but free to name themselves here, and now, I am sure that some of them must be attentive to this discussion... as usual, in that thread that I remind we was like a handful to go from our respective and divergent points of view....

never mind

the idea of resuming a discussion to rebuild the world, why not... but only if folks @Adobe join us willingly, (and without wanting to hurt anyone, folks who can act and interact between us and the decision-makers.), ... otherwise it will be once again to get together to blow in the wind

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 06, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Birnou

We all know from experiance how discussions can quickly go off-topic, especially when it comes to preferences in how features work and workflow, so it's probably best not to dive too deap.

the idea of resuming a discussion to rebuild the world, why not... but only if folks @Adobe join us willingly, (and without wanting to hurt anyone, folks who can act and interact between us and the decision-makers.), ... otherwise it will be once again to get together to blow in the wind

Without Adobe joining in, any discussion would be pointless. The problem is that Dw no longer reflects much of what is now in popular use, even in code. It took Dw 3-4 years just to include flexbox in code after it started to become common usage for layout, and whilst css grid layouts is mainly supported the missing 'fr' unit looks like it will fall into the same trap a flexbox, (not enough support from the Adobe decission makers).

I remember talking to the team about 3 years ago regarding srcset/picture, css selectors, (level3/4) plus a lot of other specs. The main problem now is that Dw is reliant on what Brackets incorporates, which should be the reverse, (Dw first, then Brackets).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 06, 2019 0
Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

question is ???..... Is there is any folks @Adobe that simply read this message ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 06, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last Dw PM to post, (or join in) discussions in this forum was Silas, so a long time ago. Before him Scott, (also a Dw PM) was a regular poster for a while, especially just after the CS5 release, (without html5/css3 support) to discuss what was required by users for html5/css3.

I have read posts from PM's of other products joining in in other forum discussions over the years, but not from any Dw PM since Silas. I do wonder though if Adobe wants Dw to go beyond its 2007 user base, (casual coders using for personal sites).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 06, 2019 0
Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't expecting a PM... a folks @Adobe will good enought... but no one answer... nor a PM nor a folks... so Adobe don't read anything down there...

(one can speak loud so)....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Birnou,

I try to read as many posts as possible in a day, but this one slipped through. Harshika monitors the forum regularly and she brough this post to my attention.

I am not the expert on how the team decides on a particular workflow versus the other, but I will check with the team about the rationale for this one and get back to you.

Apologize for being late to this discussion.

Thanks,

Preran

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2019 2
LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran

You should also read -

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2628371

I know we keep going over these subjects, time and time again, but

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2019 1
Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello Preran,

I knew you were in the area... and I found a way to get you on stage...

Thank you for coming and being present

so... maybe we could start a new thread around all these topics, but the very first start, will probably to be informed about the DW future... what are the indoor objectives... may be having a PM around... so... if you don't mind.

have a pleasant weekend

birnou

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2019 1
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always happy to be in the spotlight

I have shared this info with the team, and will also check with them about any roadmap they have to share.

Thanks,

Preran

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2019 1
Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having a road map is one thing, but I think the question is much deeper than having a roadmap. since the CC appeared, there is no real projection in the future for Dreamweaver.

the fact is that on the one hand we have reality... the real life... the web with its evolution which had been defined as the web square... beyond the words it meant that the web would evolve on its own and throughout the developer and user context... without forgetting social networks, and the online application aspect to be targeted ((I am talking about this from the time CS became CC))

so today we are on one side with daddy's web... without pejorative I mean a traditional web that displays text and images all has more... that is not really useful to whom...

on the other hand we have young people who use the web through the web... without coding, without developing... just by building stuff from the content...

many large companies have sniffed this and offer online services that provide as many answers as needs have been expressed...

developing has become another business... no more "I'm writing you a page of code here and I'm making you a site that's going to become obsolete not even before it's been published..."

it is necessary to know how to juggle with all the services and needs... and without invoicing beyond common sense.

so what do we have at our disposal... as a tool

of IDE.... (of which DW is a part)... but DW is so far behind that it no longer meets anything... neither needs... nor requests... and even less expectations... the competition is far ahead... too far for DW to catch up

code editors.... so there... even Bracket who was a precursor... has become outdated... and he is not about to go back up the slope against monsters like SublimeText...

so the question is... what to do... what are the objectives of DW... which is no longer an IDE, which does not integrate any server-side relationship, which integrates technos like Sass but on a quarter of what is really need.... which has no debugging tools.... which is not up to date on the HTML5 side, even less on the CSS3 side... the APIS HTML5... uh... DW doesn't even know that it exists... FTP is so hoarse that it's no longer useful, in short... the list is long... I could continue but I wont be hard on it...

so you were talking about a road map.... Hmmm... well... okay... nice we're going to have a CC20... cool... I'm looking forward to it...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2019 1
LEGEND ,
Jun 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think anyone is interested in what the roadmap says anymore Preran​.

Instead what I, (and possibly many others) would like to know, is what is Adobes/Dw managments vision of Dw future. Phrases like 'for designers who want to code' mean absolutely nothing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paula,

I am not sure as to what the team will be providing by way of a roadmap but they have asked me to wait until next week for the official communication. I will share it here as soon as I hear from them.

Thanks,

Preran

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 10, 2019 1
Jun 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Preran,

Any news since our last conversation ?

Do you think there is a chance that a real exchange can be opened with the people in charge of Dreamweaver (PM but not that, I am also thinking of the person in charge of the web suite in general, decision-makers in terms of orientation in terms of tools for the web @Adobe...)

as Paula mentioned, I don't think a Roadmap is of any interest.

Dreamweaver is no longer a tool like the Dreamweaver flagship of the Macromedia fleet used to be. It is really time, now (if it is not too later) to rethink its orientations, its usefulness, and its positioning in the face of innumerable competition of tools, whether it is IDE, integrated tool (on or offline) and editor code.

so do you think such a discussion could take place?

Anyway, take good care, have a pleasant day and sorry for such pressure...

birnou

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 16, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so do you think such a discussion could take place?

The question is Birnou,

Would such a discussion bring any value to Dw?

Currently Dw is not only way behind in professional features, (requirements) but also has too many bugs.

Without volunteer testers the Dw team is simply too small to find most bugs. Add to that the number of current testers, (mainly acp's) who do not, (and never have) developed web sites/apps for a living, and/or have no idea how to read specs. testing becomes a bad joke as it is not really carried out to a professional standard.

Most web dsigner/developer professionals simply do not use Dw or the creative cloud, so asking any professional to test Dw is for those people wasted time, as there is no incentive to do so.

Without testers who know what they are doing and how something should work, then Dw even if it includes what the team, (or anyone else) think is required, is a waste of time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2019 0
Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what you are presenting here is nothing more or less than the basis for discussion that should engage with the Adobe team whose scope I mentioned more or less in the previous commentary.

once again I am not waiting for a road map, but rather a perspective of the objectives for the short and medium then long term future of Dreamweaver with its positioning against the competition.

this kind of discussion cannot start without first establishing a real inventory, including the current status of Dreamweaver, its shortcomings, bugs and malfunctions, its lag with the competition and its Beta (alpha) CAB and development teams completly vanished today.

do not forget either its bad reputation and the absolute vagueness as to its target (s) user (s)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and its Beta (alpha) CAB and development teams completly vanished today.

Last time I remember every tester program and cab group closing for a program, the program was shortly after discontinued.

I don't know if that would be a good or bad thing, but it should not come as a surprise to many if it happened.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran

Hi Preran,

Any news from the team yet, regarding Dw, (not just the roadmap)?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are still working on it, Paula. I will make sure that I post here as soon as I have that info if the team doesn't beat me to it.

Thank you for the follow up!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2019 1
LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Preran,

But why do I have a bad feeling about you saying 'if the team does not beat you to it', (maybe as I got older I got more pessimistic' ).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are reading too much into it, Paula. All I am saying is that it is possible that the team may post the roadmap on their own here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2019 1